• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham hate mail regarding my Icom 718 (CB) video

cbradiomagazine.com

2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana
Jan 3, 2007
Strangely I've seen a huge increase in email in the last couple of months regarding a youtube video I did on the Icom 718 with a CB slant posted over a year ago. These are outside emails have nothing to do with this forum but I thought I'd post my view on this topic as it's an interesting discussion. This isn't meant to start a contentious argument as we've all seen that here before, I thought this was just an interesting topic based on the increase in email I've seen so let's keep it clean folks.

Now as a ham I can understand why many hams may not like the idea of CBer's using ham radios but many of the emails I've been receiving seem pretty nasty and misguided.

The interesting part of CBer's using the Icom 718 to me is that I think in many cases it's actually a positive thing. I like to look at it in the following manner.

1) First of all, your basic new or non-hobby oriented CBer' who owns and runs a Cobra 25 or similar isn't going to drop $400+ on a used Icom 718. The users are most likely going to be more serious operators who are on the hobby side.

2) If hobby operators are buying a $400+ radio they most likely knowledge of radios and understand the CB/ham radio frequency distribution. The operators are unlikely to buy this radio and then start talking on 20 meters without a license, not to mention that even if they did most ham's would immediately realize they weren't a licensed ham. So it's highly unlikely they would use the radio on ham frequencies.

3) Most hobby operators tend to want to talk DX and they fall into two categories - the big radio AM crowd or the SSB crowd. While some in the AM crowd do run high end ham radios many tend to lean towards less expensive radios that can be clipped or modded for extreme modulation. The AM crowd tends to cause more interference with their big power setups, so even though they are unlikely to use a Icom 718, it would almost be better for everyone around if they were running an Icom 718 into their 8 pill instead of a Galaxy 44 that's had the modulation limiter removed. (Along the dirty in/dirty out argument). Obviously if the amplifier has it's own issues the radio isn't going to make a huge difference either way.

So if we can assume the SSB CB crowd are the ones purchasing the Icom 718 we can also assume they are most likely planning to use the radio for LSB on the CB frequencies or LSB/USB on the freeband frequencies. Again - it's probably preferable to most hams that if these operators are going to use a illegal radio with higher power that they use a Icom 718 rather than a Galaxy 95T etc as we would hope it will give them cleaner signals with less splatter.

4) Anyone can own a ham radio (modified for 11 meters or not). The legality only comes into play if the radio is used to transmit. In fact I was given a ham radio as a kid long before I had the license to transmit on it and I spent many hours listening to operators getting excited about the hobby. A serious SSB CB operator who runs a 2950DX or similar export may never realize that even though 11 meter DX is dead that 20 meters is running strong. Again if they own a Icom 718 instead of a 2950DX there is a higher probability that they might want to become licensed or learn more about the ham radio hobby.

5) Many SSB CB operators consider themselves proud to be cber's and don't use Ham frequencies at all and have no interest in doing so. For them the Icom 718 offers a high end radio to use on the CB and freeband frequencies only and again they are highly unlikely to cause any disturbance to any ham operators and the use of this radio over a cheaper export means they are even less likely to cause any interference.

So in the end I think all of the nasty emails I've been receiving from ham operators is misdirected and if they took the time to read this post they might see how the use of these radio might actually reduce interference issues and could result in new licensed operators.

Obviously if the ham community had it their way no one without a license would ever transmit on any "ham" radio. Barring an act of god that just isn't going to happen and I think that we can all agree that if more higher end ham radios were being used on the CB band (albeit illegally) in place of export radios that many of the transmissions would be cleaner.

That serious ssb CB operators cause problems for hams is a pretty weak argument. In the last year I've only heard one operator on 10 and one on 20 who I assume were unlicensed. Operators immediately called them out and they were off the frequency in a matter of seconds. As has been mentioned on the forum many times, I would actually argue that there are more licensed ham trouble makers causing problems on ham bands than unlicensed CBer's. Any problems from unlicensed operators usually occurs on 10 meters and it is most often credited to truckers/businesses/individuals who have 10 meter export radios but are not "hobby" end users and don't understand the band plan. Again we can assume these people would not be buying or using the 718.

In the end, ham radios such as the Icom 718 are out on the market and are widely used by ham and CB operators alike. As we all know the equipment itself isn't really the issue, it's who has their hands on the equipment and how it will be used. The use of these types of radios by cb operators is really a non-issue for most involved and could actually be viewed as a positive step forward over highly modified cb or export radios

Reactions: 2 people

IMO, Cbradiomagazine.com made a great post. I whole-heartedly agree with this. Sadly, a lot of hams will disagree, which really is a shame. This is a problem here where I live, it's CB VS. Ham here, and it does get heated from time to time. That's why I ended up getting rid of my ham radios after I let my ham license drop (I was extra class)... I took so much crap from the local hams about using it on the CB bands.

Had these same hams been a bit more respectful towards me, perhaps I would have thought about getting my license again. I currently do not have any desire to get a license in the future.

I really wish that people would be less ignorant, and maybe take a look at the "other side" of things. There is good to be had here. Perhaps not all the time, but still....

I'm not bashing hams in general, just the local hams here... as these people's attitudes are similar to what the original poster was getting thru emails.

Great post!

~Cheers~

Last edited:
I agree 100% and look and feel about it exactly as you have stated. There are alot of guys using HF rigs on 11 meters especially those Icom 718 due to their price and popularity among the 11 meter band. Some just have it because its cool or maybe bragging rights. Eitherway they are filtered better therefor they run cleaner with also offering way more options and radio than if one spends $600.00-$700.00 on a (Glorified 100-200 watt splatter box wackpack CLIPPED an tuned CB radio) that offers ECHO and a ROGER BEEP.

I like CB Radio Magazine's articles and reviews. I think one reason that you are receiving negative emails over the video is, because in some hams minds, the temptation to use
the other bands instead of keeping it strictly on 11 meters, just might prove too much for some people. As for as keeping down interference, I'm all for that. But, some amateur radios when modded, tend to not work so well outside of the ham bands. That in itself can cause problems. Most amateur radios are designed to work(band pass filtering etc.) in the amateur bands. Nearly all are easy to convert, but, the ease of conversion is intended either directly or indirectly, by the manufacturer, for MARS , CAP use. And those frequencies are not that far removed from the band pass filtering for the regular amateur bands.
In fact, I believe at one time, most, if not all manufacturers of amateur radios, added a disclaimer to the radio's spec's for spectral purity, if those mods are done. AND, most, if not all, of them, will not honor a warranty if the radios are modded.
Just some thoughts on the subject.
trucker

The logical ham would think to himself "I don't care what they do on 11 as long as they keep their signal confined to that band". These guys on the other hand would rather see you use a hacked up 29 with the harmonic trap and AMC set for maximum power and driving a nice class C transistor amp in your base running off a battery charger to enhance the hum. The source of this mentality is often nothing more than jealousy. "If I had to work to earn my license to use this equipment, then your obligated to stay stuck on your pancake radio until you do the same". Get over it already. Half these guys came from CB in the first place and more then will admit still use the band.

Well, we all know it's illegal to run one. Not much wrong with voicing their opinions to you about it. Besides, it's running up your site hit count, right? :love:

I'd much rather hear a clean ham rig on 11 meters or freeband than a mis-aligned and over-driven CB with a cheap amplifier clipping all over the place.

Many years ago, our group of local CB'ers was cordially invited by (IIRC) an Extra class ham to study for our Novice tickets. There were about 12 of us that did, and we all passed. He was a really cool guy named Ed, and I think his call was WB5ONB. He used to say "old nasty boy". I always appreciated the fact that he just wanted to bring people in to the amateur radio hobby, and to do it the right way. He let me borrow an old boat anchor receiver, and I'd listen for hours on that thing. There are plenty of hams out there like Ed, but a lot of them are not as active or vocal as the email authors to cbradiomagazine. Too bad.

By the way, I have a Icom IC-718, and don't transmit on the ham bands. I let my ticket expire years ago.

73 and keep up the great articles and reviews,
RT307

I personally don't give a squat what they run...As long as it's clean and they stay in the right frequency range
I would rather they run an all band transceiver and a descent all band amp...
Than some clipped and cranked, driving an (?) transistor splatter brick any day...
Had a Father and Son that use to talk here in town(Son on way home from work everyday) Junk central in Son's mobile...
Clipped and Cranked Galaxy and a XJunk 4 transistor box...Use to trash me everyday for 20 mile drive home(on 10m)(they were on CH.40 something)...
Father had an old Robyn(same Tech's work)...
Finally spoke with them and of course they coped an atitude...until I recorded them and played it back and then recorded them 20kc away...
To make a long story shorter....
Loaned Father a Tempo One, I had just finished restoring...got Son to give me his Galaxy and run it across the bench....and loaned him an old 2 tuber Lafayette amp....
Few days maybe a week later...a whole new world opened up...Locals quit Qrming them and others including DX started chatting with them on their trip...
They sold the junk, kept the new set-ups...
And I never heard them again...
We were ALL Happy....
If it's Clean, your Green in my book
However you guys keep buying all the good old gear at Hamfests and driving the prices up:D
Supply and Demand...Damn it American commerce:w00t:
All the Best
BJ

OH yes one more thing...If you buy a nice untouched all band amp or transceiver...Run it by the book!
Don't let some JOKER gut well engineered equipment because he says he can get way more out than what it's doing....
More out on what Frequencies????:confused:
73 Enjoy

Reactions: 4 people
Can you do a review of the 718 driving a big ass Wizard Built amp into a gnarly Jo Gunn 8+8 Killer Star beam?

You'd have a bus load of angry old QRZ'd curmudgeons swarming your house with torches.

Reactions: 4 people
I moderate three "radio related" forums.

I have done so many years.

As the fall and winter months arrive and people spend more time indoors, they tend to get bored and then search the net for "something to do".

Your 718 became a target of a bored ham who spread the word to all his other bored friends and they climbed aboard the band wagon.

No matter how much you justify it though, using an amateur radio on CB will ALWAYS spark controversy. More so when people are indoors and bored.

I used to travel to work 77 miles one way, I bought a car that got better gas mileage than my Jeep. Now I can drive 90 mph in my new car and get much better gas mileage,

it's ok isn't it?

I mean I use less gas in my Jetta at 90 mph than I did in my Jeep at 90 mph?

Justify it all I want,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I guess it all boils down to the degree of illegal activity any given person will tolerate. Is there anyone on this forum who runs 100% legal all the time? I doubt it and that applies to hams and CB'ers alike.

Both hams and CB'er who fret over each other are of the same ilk as far as I'm concerned. They just don't see it. It's ok to poke fun at ourselves and each other as long as it doesn't cross the line. Don't be a hater!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Well it funny,i rem
ber years ago in the late 60s when i got into radio.I came from a ham family,and all ran Cb radios also.Most of the big Cbers back then ran ft101 yaesu radios for ssb.And many others like me ran Siltronix radios.I was one of the 1st in my area to get a Swan 1011,pre siltronix.And ran it on 11mtr ssb,still run 11ssb and dont run much am...I am very active on 11sb and 10mtrs and alot of 6ssb and 75mtrs.And really could give a crap if someone is running a ham radio on 11mtrs.As long as they dont splatter...73 de JW

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.