• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hanging dipole antenna

sandpiperx

Jan 15, 2010
Denton, Texas USA
Hello,
I needed some feedback on hanging a tuned to 10 and 11 meter Dipole
I live in a 2 story home. Would it work in the attic if needed or along the eaves.
Any input would be helpful.. thanks you

Last edited:

Welcome to the WWRF.

A wire dipole inside the attic should be suspended away from any object in a free space with a non-conductive/non metallic string or cord for optimal results. Additionally, house wiring and large metal objects around it - or at the same height - may affect overall performance and cause some problems tuning the SWR as well...

thanks for the welcome and the post .. I have a tall attic and can get it at least 8 to 10 ft above most anything in the attic. At that point it will be up over 30 ft from the ground..
I run a Imax 2000 outside but want to throw this on my switcher and play with it some.

Another idea might be to go outside on the roof and set dipole above roof about 3 feet or so.mount a short pole at each end of roof on peak and a small pole in center where the feed point will be located,...

easy to set up and easy to work on if needed

Sandpiperx

I have a Double Bazooka Dipole 11 meter antenna installed in my attic. I have been very pleased with it. We have restrictive covenants in the community where I live that don't allow outdoor antennas. I have mine configured in an inverted V and so far it talks locally and skip fine. I had to shorted both sides by about 5 inches to get the best SWR. (1.2 on Channel 1, 1.1 on Channel 40) Rather than cutting the wire I justed folded it back on itself. Mine is probably about 22 to 24 feet off the ground.

It will be a good experiment and experience for ya, but the outdoor Imax is going to far outperform this attic dipole in every way. Only benefit will be to give you a flat side to use for talking with outer locals who are also have a horizontal antenna, and for the front and back directions that you will have for whichever way the thing is facing. The ends will be mostly nulls and you won't get out at all in those directions unless the other local station is really close by.

Good luck!
interview.gif

I will try both ideas roof and attic. I am just experimenting to see what this antenna is able to produce. first time I have used one.. Dipole that is. I will post some results when I gather them.. Thanks for all the feedback..

Sandpiperx

Yes I understand that. I was told by the seller of the antenna that it was tuned at 25'
dipole config. 27.955 mhz and would be broadband from 27mhz to 28.6 mhz.

thats what I got on it .. have a great day..

An 11 meter dipole will only be about 17' total length. If it is fed with coax, it is not broadbanded. If it is fed with ladder line, it might cover more without a tuner.

It is fed using a coax into a balum. says it is set up as a inverted v 10 meter dipole. I do also have a mjf tuner..

use the MFJ see what u can get. if i am correct the ends of the dipole are NULL.?.... so if the dipole faces north and south thats where your talk power is and the sides east west are a no go.

use the MFJ see what u can get. if i am correct the ends of the dipole are NULL.?.... so if the dipole faces north and south thats where your talk power is and the sides east west are a no go.

I think its the other way around, if the wires point north and south then most of your power is going to radiate east and west.

How directional a dipole gets is determined by how high it is above the effective electrical ground. That doesn't mean just how far from dirt. It also can vary because a structure can/does act as a 'partial' 'ground' depending on what it's constructed of. So, the attic of a two story house isn't as far from the effective ground as you might think. Until a dipole gets above something like one full wave length above the effective ground, it isn't going to be 'too' directive. And even when quite high, the 'nulls' off the ends still pick up and radiate a signal, just not as strongly as from off the 'sides' of the dipole. That 'null' is never as 'empty' as some people think.
How well will that dipole work in your attic? I wouldn't even make a guess at it. It will perform less well than if it were outside, didn't have anything between it and the signal it's trying to receive. Just too many variables with attics and what's in them for me to make a prediction about performance.
then you get to ply the polarity game, horizontal and vertical polarization. There can be quite a difference with that. Try it both ways if you can. String it horizontal, then if the attic is tall enough, run one leg of that dipole straight up/down and the other leg horizontal. That makes for a one-legged groundplane antenna. Attic not tall enough to do that? Then make the up/down leg as long as possible, then bend the rest of it sideways (opposite the direction of the horizontal leg). A dipole's shape isn't very strict, you can bend one quite a bit before it really makes a huge difference. That's also where that tuner can come in handy too.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.