1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Harbor Freight Ferro-Rod, any good?

Discussion in 'Prepper Forum' started by LeapFrog, Feb 10, 2018.

1. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

I bought a cheap fire starter and wanted to see if my 3$ purchase can perform..
    Well, I put my purchase to the test!

They work great for the price!
    (stay prepped, better to be ready than empty-handed if SHTF, water purification and snares help..)

357magnum likes this.

2. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

More effective method is to hold your steel in 1 spot and move the rod away under pressure. More concentrated spark in 1 spot.

357magnum and LeapFrog like this.
  3. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

I like that suggestion, thank you Binrat.

I was thinking "the blade is an extension of my arm, the sparks go where I throw them"; Your suggestion can help many people, great idea!

4. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

Just what you need to put the fire in the wire.(y)

LeapFrog, 357magnum and BammBamm like this.
  5. BammBamm

BammBamm Chicago's mudduck.....173 on the southside.

I have a few of these..I have a braided para cord that unbraids to 6' that is connected to my life vest with one of these and a whistle and a waterproof mini maglight. I also have 1 in tackle box and every car. Just a tip...use a old pill bottle and put 4-6 cotton balls rubbed in Vaseline, they make a great fire starter!. A few of you may remember me flipping my kayak on the river right after ice out a few years back, I would have loved to have had one of these!

LeapFrog and 357magnum like this.
  6. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

I always wondered how these worked for the price , thank you Leapfrog for the vid and the trick photography ! lol I'll get one next time I'm there ,lucky mine is close by.

#6 357magnum, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    LeapFrog likes this.
  7. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

I was at a Boy Scout Campout with my son years ago, and they had a guy showing how to start a fire using a piece of steel and some flint. The media he was using to get the fire going was DRYER LINT. He would strike the flint several times sending a shower of sparks into the link. It ignited after about 4 strikes. He said that he tried many different things, but that the lint worked the best.
    Leap Frog ... put some lint into a ziplock bag along with that firestarter and you're good to go.

LeapFrog and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  8. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Take some candle wax and drip it all over the lint to give it a little fuel. This helps especially when trying to light wood that is wet.

binrat likes this.
  9. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Char cloth is the fastest way to start a fire. Take all of your dryer lint roll into a tight ball and put inside a metal screw top container. pack your dryer lint tightly. The whole container needs to be metal. A single small hole is poked or drilled in the top and the entire container is placed into a fire, or a stove burner. Let it heat until no smoke comes out of the container. Let cool and put tape over the hole to seal it for future use.
    When you open the container you should have an nice small charred ball that will light up with the smallest spark. Other items that work good for this method is juniper or cedar bark, cypress bark is good as well.

https://graywolfsurvival.com/3002/make-use-char-cloth/

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  10. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I had one of those back when I was younger. It worked pretty good. That Magnesium burned nicely. You don't need tinder with these. You scrape the Magnesium block with a knife to produce shavings. Strike the flint on the shavings and big hot flash happens.

#10 Mudfoot, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  11. BBB

BBB Well-Known Member

HF fire starters are gar-bage'. For a few dollars more get the real deal MIL SPEC units.

[​IMG]

12. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

For $1.25 I can buy a Bic disposable lighter, and it works great. LOL

13. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

These work GREAT. I have had one for years. Now I just need to find it again. LOL Originally intended for the British SAS.

LeapFrog and 357magnum like this.