1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

has anyone had a radio built by lesters customs?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by wheelman918, Nov 26, 2014.

1. 918Oklahoma

918Oklahoma KG5FLM

I've been using the wilson 1000 mag mount for a year now and its incredible. I love that thing, ive made more dx contacts than i can count, even canadian stations, all barefoot with 12 watts.
    Not only that but ive talked 20+ miles across state lines from my driveway at night... in the right conditions the wilson 1k rips.

Id love to try the sirio antennas though.

wheelman918 likes this.

2. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

yes that wilson 1000 is very impressive ive been out of radio till i got mine back out on thanksgiving so ive never heard of sirio i talked all over the world thanks giving day off that antenna with a cobra 148f gtl and a black widow dx 250

3. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

im in broken arrow i bet we could talk at night mobile to mobile on ssb in between one of the uppers like 470 something like that

4. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

old radio1.jpg hey maybe match this up against the poopcomm double knot spy radio it may have a chance (the spy radio that is) if i remember right this old thing worked it is made in japan so it probably will and if it will turn on and hear anyone and can trigger my black widow it would beat the poopcomm i may have to dabble with this that would be funny

5. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

I will vouch for the sirio mag mount antennas. Have used both the 4000hp and the 5000 performer and now a 5000 turbo. All work very well with the pl145 mag mount. Mine is mounted on a Nissan NV high back work van. Tip is at 14+ ft. It kicks butt. Been asked several times whether I was on a base! Talk out to 50+ miles no problem. Have even made it 100+ miles when it's quiet. The sirio turbo has been in place well over a year now and it's still rocking. Never been knocked off, just knocked down. Have hit many a low tree branches, and the occasional bridge scrape, but the antenna just keeps rockin. It sometimes gets a bit bent right near the tip, I bend it back and keep on going. Have used the k40, and wilson 5000 mag mounts and the sirio just out performs both hands down. Just my experience with the sirio antennas. I have a small collection of them myself, 3 performer 5000's, the 4000hp, and the 5000 turbo, along with a few pl145 mag mounts. A couple are new, and will be used for other vehicles I have when needed. Good antennas in my book.

jazzsinger and wheelman918 like this.
  6. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

ill have to check it out but that wilson 1000 tunes pretty darn well its on top of a lifted big tired 4x4 so its high up id say with a 62.5 in whip or whatever it is, but finding better finer things is cool with me ill check it out

7. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

the wilson 1000 has double the power handling of the 5000 they are 75$ on amazon

8. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

i need another mobile antenna i think ill buy one by reading seems its in the class of the wilson but i think it looks cooler than the wilson and it has a 5 star rating and like 5 bucks cheaper too

9. jazzsinger

jazzsinger Bullshit Buster

Most if not all serious mobile dx stations in Europe run a Sirio 4/5000 series antenna. Ain't anything to choose between them. Power handling on Sirios can be a bit exaggerated but will comfortably handle 2-300w. Coax supplied with mag145pl is proper mil-c-17f on older bases and M17/28 Rg58c/u on newer ones.

I've been using them for 15years either hp4000 or megawatt 4000 (may have different part numbers in US) but are fantastic perfomers.

Wilsons aren't bad antennas, just sirios have a slight edge and are cheaper. They also allow changing faulty/clipped coax fairly easy.

Only US antenna I recall outside the humble 1/4 wave whip to match them is Avanti's av261m moonraker mobile. No doubt it was inspiration for sirios design. I loved the Avanti back in the 80's before Sirio were well known.

I'd be happy to use them too. When dx'ing you need reliable equipment. Both fit the bill although the mag on sirio is better. I have seen avanti's come off.

Nearly got the jail one night in Glasgow in the 80's when one came off and as we stopped to put it back on got a pull with the old bill. I gave one a few smart ass comments and the prick wasn't amused.lol.

Ironic we got away with that cause about 6 hours later we did get the jail whilst visiting what is now my home town on Glasgows outskirts.

Those were the days on CB in Glasgow. Whole city was buzzing with big signals and even bigger ego's. Now they are a handful and widespread although good skip seems to bring a few out the woodwork.

You can't go wrong with a Sirio. Sure a 1/4 wave whip is much cheaper and slightly more efficient, but it ain't very practical.

Especially as my mate uses the fucking force to drive. Lol.

I have also been accused of being a base station or running massive power. Just ain't necessary with a Sirio.

hotrod, wheelman918 and 222DBFL like this.
  10. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

well dave ive been round and round with lester over months and months i hate to say it but lester is a liar and will rip you off quick, he wont even answer you till you go thru paypal, lester is a liar con man the stuff he sells is garbage, his custom garbage radios are nothing more than lipstick on a pig and joke at best end of story.

11. Sideways

Sideways Active Member

We get the point

giphy.gif

12. wheelman918

wheelman918 Member

lol