1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Heads Up on Security Breach

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Crossbow, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Crossbow

Crossbow Well-Known Member

Google just warned me that this site has had a security breach that may have exposed our passwords.

Might want to check this on your end and change passwords to be on the safe side.

L2, Handy Andy and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

News to me. I have real time malicious site tracking and nothing on my end. We have had things pop up before related to the security certificate when the bill was a tad late getting paid but nothing else.

S&W357 likes this.
  3. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Clean here.

Jeff

4. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Sounds to me as if a quick look at the "from" addy on the warning from "Google" will prove to be a bogus email address. Something like "googlesecurity@123booboo.pl".

I may be wrong, but every BB system I have seen does not store your password as the plain text that you enter. It only stores a "hash", or encrypted copy of the password. The password you enter is passed through the same hash encoding and then compared to the stored hash. The plaintext password you typed is immediately erased. The hash is designed to make it hard to reverse-unencode and obtain the actual password in reverse. Hard enough not to be worth the processing time and effort required.

Color me skeptical.

5. snippits75

snippits75 Well-Known Member

Nothing here.

Just a certificate once long time ago, and that was fixed fast.

6. Crossbow

Crossbow Well-Known Member

If you are using Google then go to settings then Safety check
    Screenshot_1.jpg