• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit SB-220 Schematic

TheRealPorkchop

Certified Sith Pimp
Aug 25, 2015
NC
Does anyone have a legible copy of this? I know it's at CBT but it's terrible, you can't make out jack on that thing. The other models, the schematics are perfect but the 220... they've skipped it or something.

Also, for you tube experts, the 3-500z, is that a drop in for the 220 or is there other stuff to change? I've never really been into tube amps, tried to stay away if possible, until now.

This is the best one I have, better than CBT
sb-220.gif

Does anyone have a legible copy of this? I know it's at CBT but it's terrible, you can't make out jack on that thing. The other models, the schematics are perfect but the 220... they've skipped it or something.

Also, for you tube experts, the 3-500z, is that a drop in for the 220 or is there other stuff to change? I've never really been into tube amps, tried to stay away if possible, until now.

The sb220 came with 3-500z toobs. Is there something different in yours?

This is the best one I have, better than CBT
View attachment 40186

Thank you very much, that is better.

The sb220 came with 3-500z toobs. Is there something different in yours?

Well, I don’t have one. I was thinking of buying one and then I thought, why not just build one? And this probably where the comments try to talk me out of it, which might be a good idea.

I’m either gonna buy one or I’m gonna build one, so either way I need a good schematic and Doc posted a pretty nice one. Thanks again, Doc.

Thank you very much, that is better.

Well, I don’t have one. I was thinking of buying one and then I thought, why not just build one? And this probably where the comments try to talk me out of it, which might be a good idea.

I’m either gonna buy one or I’m gonna build one, so either way I need a good schematic and Doc posted a pretty nice one. Thanks again, Doc.

The sb220 kind of sucks if you use AM. I vote for building it so you can have a better plate transformer and forced air cooling. If you decide to buy I would look at the drake l4b. There don't seem to be as many around but they pop up now and then.

The Drake L-4B has 1000 watts PEP power input on AM, CW and RTTY and 2000 watts input on SSB. It covers 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters (10 meters not available on late production). The high efficiency Class B Grounded Grid Circuit uses the new Eimac 3-500Z zero bias triodes. Power requirements are 115 VAC 50-60 Hz 30 amps or 230 VAC 50-60 Hz 15 amps. The included L-4 PS power supply (not shown) is in a separate enclosure. This amp features a quiet blower. There is a built in wattmeter calibrated at 300/3000 watts forward and 300 watts reflected

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Biggest problem with two-by-3-500Z ham linears for AM is the idle dissipation of the tubes. The "Z" suffix letter was meant to indicate that the tube can safely operate with the grid directly grounded and zero bias voltage applied to the tube's grid. It will draw enough current to heat up the anode to nearly half its rating this way with NO drive power applied. This makes for a clean sideband signal, but presents a problem for AM. The heat the tube throws from your carrier alone will push the tubes to near their rated limit before you even say hello.

The SB-220 doesn't operate the tubes with true 'zero' bias. It puts a zener diode in series with the cathode's connection to the HV power supply's Bee-Minus side. Since the grid is grounded, and the minus side of the high voltage supply is not, it has the effect of making the grid about five Volts more negative than the cathode. The Drake L4 doesn't do this, but the high voltage is lower than what's used in the SB220. That makes the zero-drive heat about the same in both models.

We adopted the habit of advising AM operators to increase the bias voltage on the tubes to safely run AM. A circuit board with thirty (yes) 3-Amp rectifier diodes becomes the "zener" diode. A forward-biased rectifier diode has a fairly constant voltage drop of about 2/3 of a Volt each. This puts just over 20 Volts of bias onto the tubes. The idle current is now low enough that the heat from your AM carrier is now manageable and won't melt the solder from inside the tubes' filament pins.

Nothing says this can't be done with a piece of perf board.

homebrewbiaszener0pv.jpg

I should add that this is the expensive solution. The manual for this kind of amplifier usually tells you to use the "low" or "CW" side of the amplifier for AM. This serves to keep the tubes' heat load at a safe level.

Also cuts your peak power roughly in half. AM operators never seem to find this an attractive option. Adding the extreme bias voltage allows them to use the high 'SSB' side safely in AM mode.

Never did get around to marketing this toy. Was worth making them to save labor servicing this kind of amplifier here in the shop.

AMBias_v5_sm.jpg

If you're willing to hold the peak drive power below 120 Watts or so, you can skip the other "hot-rod" mods. Just keep the contacts on the band selector clean. Simply rotating the band knob a couple of times end-to-end before you use it serves to help with this. The contacts are meant to be what they call "self-cleaning", but only if you turn the knob from time to time. Leaving it in one position defeats this design, and permits silver oxide to build up on the selector's contact surfaces. When it burns out, the 11-meter operator hires someone to bypass it and make it a monoband linear. If you change bands regularly in routine use of the thing, that takes care of the problem. Mostly. But if it's always used on one band, cranking the knob on occasion can prevent it from flaming out.

Last edited:
I appreciate that input cause I’m a tube amp noob.

What makes it bad on AM?

The plate transformer is too light duty for AM. A couple of guys around here have smoked them. The ones that make them last run a low carrier and big swing.

The fan that blows at the tubes leaves a lot to be desired. The better way is to have chimneys around the tubes and a bower to pressurize the underside of the rf deck. The L4b and ameritron al-82 do this.

HEATH SB-220-3-7
EXTRA HD REPLACEMENT FOR SB-220 / SB-221 / HL-2200
WITH CUSTOM 7 MIL C-CORE

NOTE: Requires mechanical modifications (cut out) to the
internal perforated top panel of the amplifier (not the cabinet).

CORE) B-0393/ (SIDE MOUNT) STYLE #) 10 HIPERSIL C-CORE
PR) 117/234 VAC 60 HZ HI-LO TAPS
S1) 860/1171 VAC @ 1.3A CCS
( Original Specs 860/1171 VAC @ 0.7A CCS)

DM) HT = 6.25 WT = 5.25 DT = 5.0 MD = 3.375 MW = 4.50
PRICE) $394.86 Plus S&H FOB Buffalo, NY WEIGHT) 23 LBS

PETER W. DAHL CO.
Custom Transformers & Inductors

STOCKED PART - HAMMOND Part Number: PWDP13026

http://pwdahl.com/HeathSB-220HD.html
For photos see Dennis's (N9AD) installation photos.

Ok I been absent so I see I got some reading to do, I think I want to build this thing. Probably cheaper than buying up until I blow crap up 3 times, then I’ll wish I’d just bought one, haha.

I’ll read all the links given and I’ll be back.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.