• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help Me Make A Decision Please

9mmMick

Mar 29, 2014
I just got my Generals about 6 months ago and been having a blast with my Yaesu FT857.
Now unfortunately because of trying to stay away from the HOA police, the best I can do antenna wise is a 98 foot end fed no higher than my roof line at 20 feet. And I don't have an attic to put another antenna in.
I'd like to make more contacts though.
I'm thinking of getting either a Kenwood TS480HX (200w) or adding an Ameritron 811 to the shack.
The Kenwood: Better receive than my 857 and 100 watts more,which I know isn't that much more, but that 3db gain could make up for my antenna restriction.
The Ameritron: Much more power for my 857, but I'm afraid that the higher power will cause RFI to my neighbors and then the fun would be over.
What would you do?

My vote is to upgrade your transceiver to something with a better receiver first and then consider additional power. I occasionally run legal limit in my dense city property, and don't have too many issues, but I've been able to get my antenna up more than the 20 feet you're faced with. You might consider a ground mounted vertical, a little more power, and the best receiver setup you can afford. Good receive DSP solutions can make a big difference, as well.

Also, don't discount the digital modes - you can make amazing contacts with very restricted antennas and low power.

Reactions: 9mmMick
I think you should go for the 480HX and also purchase a telescopic 34 ft fishing pole ( cheap on ebay) the extra height would make a big difference to that end fed. leave it at 20 ft and raise it to full height when required.Seriously these poles are a great basis for hundreds of different antennas and can be folded down to a little over 3 ft long. A little thought and you will beat that HOA.

Last edited:
I have to highly recommend the TS-480HX. Had it in my truck for a few years with too many contacts to count. Awesome recieve,and enough power to answer back. Also remember the antenna is more important that raw power.

Reactions: ghutch
Spend money on the antennas....a flag pole or ?? Antron 99 with a wind sock?? A wire loop in the trees works for me and it is invisible from the street, works 10-40 mtrs and is very quiet. Google HOA antennas stealth antennas
If you can't hear them...you can't work them is an old but true statement.

Ditto on spending the money on a better antenna and more power is not the solution.
I hear a lot of guys out there that has crappy antenna's and big amplifiers talking to other guys with crappy antenna's and big amplifiers and the only people they can hear when they turn back to the squelch is each other.. Then tend not to be very knowledgeable and they tend to talk like cbr's and they tend to hang out in groups and only participate in select nets.

40 Meter Off Center Fed Antenna
4 Bands With One Antenna

http://www.hypowerantenna.com/products/off-center-fed-antenna

This antenna is only about 69' long and will out talk any G5RV.....

80 Meter Off Center Fed Antenna
7 Band With One Antenna

This antenna is 135' long, but there is nothing that says that you have to hang it in a straight line.. You can zig zag it or make it into a L or an inverted V...
20' is all the higher you need to get it to start making some contacts...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.