• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP WITH THE DATE CODE ON A COBRA 2000GTL

galaxy67

Mar 10, 2009
I used to know how to date the Cobra 2000GTL thru the serial number,can anyone refresh my mind?? thanks if you can help...GALAXY67 BOB

I'm so curious to this myself having own several currently ! Only thing I know is the Philly version came later LOL...

73's, Retro

First digit of the serial number is usually the last digit of the year.

Just one problem. The radio was built in Taiwan from 1978 to 1989.

A serial number with a first digit of "8" might be 1978 or 1988.

A "9" might be 1979 or 1989.

Only way to resolve this ambiguity is a peek inside at the date code on chips inside.

The MB8734 PLL chip is usually open-dated, with a four-digit code. Two digits for the year, followed by two digits for the week of that year, 01-52.

A date code of "8301" would indicate January of 1983.

But ONLY if the PLL hasn't be replaced with a MB8719. The radio was never built with that chip, but changing the factory-original MB8734 to a MB8719 is a popular way to expand the frequency coverage. Not the only way, just a popular one.

If the radio has a MB8719, that date code tells you NOTHING about the age of the radio.

Sometimes the "S042" transmit-mixer chip on the left edge of the main circuit board will have this 4-digit open-date code on it.

A peek inside the clock/counter shield will reveal similar 4-digit date codes on some, but not all the logic chips inside.

So long as this module has not been removed and swapped for a different one, this will help pin down the production year.

And if the country of origin is Philippines, the radio was made in 1989 or later, and the same "first-digit" rule should apply.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.