• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here is a 29 you guys may want just look at that scope..

In this, mans defense when I contacted him to let him know that half his power was being broadcast in the 50mhz range he told me this image on the scope was a locked on there from another radio and not the one shown. I'm not sure what that means but that is what he said.

Reactions: Sonar
They don't want to hear the truth. Tell him it keys 2 watts, swings to 50 and has been adjusted for 100% modulation so it's clean. Don't tell him the harmonics are X db down....tell him you tuned out all of the harmonics because you're just that damn good. :ROFLMAO:

In this, mans defense when I contacted him to let him know that half his power was being broadcast in the 50mhz range he told me this image on the scope was a locked on there from another radio and not the one shown. I'm not sure what that means but that is what he said.
If he can't operate a scope what are the chances he knows what he is doing inside of a radio?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Don't they get around that by speaking in three's?
&$#@;&:_$"*@&$;!&-(/)&$@**'. That's what I hear when certain stations modulate. Clipped limiter, power mic turned up, rigs mic gain oturned up to 11 (spinal tap reference) and driving a low drive class C amp with 2 watts DK swinging 40 Watts.
There can only be one outcome. &:_+)/!;:#@&+$';! 10-4?

Skip conditions were exceptional a few days ago, but it also reminded about all the nasty splatter maggots that hijacked the entire band. If anything needs to be locked, it’s the prying hands of those that have no business even removing a cover screw. Unfortunately, I believe these antique McKenzie mitts handcuffs are the only cure.
McKenzie mitts.jpg

Reactions: walterjn
&$#@;&:_$"*@&$;!&-(/)&$@**'. That's what I hear when certain stations modulate. Clipped limiter, power mic turned up, rigs mic gain oturned up to 11 (spinal tap reference) and driving a low drive class C amp with 2 watts DK swinging 40 Watts.
There can only be one outcome. &:_+)/!;:#@&+$';! 10-4?

My favorite are the guys that use driver amps with old sweep tube amps that already have a driver built in. Then crank up the old dee ten four microphone to 11, hold it up to your talk back speaker and use the feedback to tune the amplifiers for max power. I'll be glad when those tubes become nonexistent and those amps go to the dump.

That's the funny thing on the air ,so many running hot , that when you hear a stock radio, your brain goes " man that radio sounds nice" That smooth quiet sound stands out, for what it does not have.

That's the funny thing on the air ,so many running hot , that when you hear a stock radio, your brain goes " man that radio sounds nice" That smooth quiet sound stands out, for what it does not have.
I've mentioned before what a pleasure it is to hear the rig that I think is the best sounding 40 channel AM SSB transciver on today's market. And that's the UNIDEN 980! I'm seriously considering purchasing on myself. I don't run a rig in my vehicle and I believe the 980 makes for a great base station. I wish Uniden would produce a base station version. I'm not sure what they could do to improve the rigs performance but Uniden would certainly have more space inside of a base station version to add some bells and whistles. Possibly a frqancy counter and a few other goodies. It's current mobile chassis would leave some room as a base for so much more. Not that it needs anything else but why waste the extra space. I'd buy a base version in a minute. I'm still concidering buying the 980 and mounting it on my rolling staitis dhelf using the supplied mounting brackrb. The 980 is an excellent AM and SSB talker straight out of the box. I cantc express how much I enjoy hearing a brand new untouched 980 right out of the box. IMO It's the best 40 channel AM SSB 40 vuachancb radio on the market. And am truly suprisurp at it price point. A lot of radio for such a cheap price. I'm sure most would pay more for the privilege of owning one. I'm very happy with the price but in all honesty I would probably pay more for it. Once again I can't stress how evenly-balanced the audio is both on AM and SSB. SWEET!

Last edited:
Reactions: xm49north7
NO COMPLAINTS WITH THE 980. It got most stuff right. It looks good, it works, A base box would be great for sure. My only complaint is my older model with the beep, and my solder iron took care of that with the resistor removal. Uniden has done a good job. Even the mic, people say the mic is no good, I took mine apart, took out the little noise cancel filter paper, cut the rubber washer hole about 3 times bigger, and it works just great. I do not use a power mic, I don't think they really improve much on a modern cb with modulation control. If they can't hear you, they can't hear you. I have been so amazed at how well I get out, I run a home built wire loop, nothing fancy, but I am out skip right to florida from canada every day on stock power, Local 20 miles no problem, and mabe more have not really tstd it base to base, so few on here. But this radio has done one can demand of a cb radio on stock power.

I have a 980 and the only thing that I don't like is that there is a slight "pop" noise to the squelch when going in and out that is annoying. It's more noticeable at a low volume.

I would like to see more brightness in the display. There is only one color I like, a light blue.
I don't care about mods, tweaks and extra channels.
Being able to scan the channels is handy these days.

I have a 980 and the only thing that I don't like is that there is a slight "pop" noise to the squelch when going in and out that is annoying. It's more noticeable at a low volume.

I would like to see more brightness in the display. There is only one color I like, a light blue.
I don't care about mods, tweaks and extra channels.
Being able to scan the channels is handy these days.
I don't use the squelch, always listening to all I can hear, Like the light blue myself, it is just bright enough in the house, it would suck mobile for sure.

NO COMPLAINTS WITH THE 980. It got most stuff right. It looks good, it works, A base box would be great for sure. My only complaint is my older model with the beep, and my solder iron took care of that with the resistor removal. Uniden has done a good job. Even the mic, people say the mic is no good, I took mine apart, took out the little noise cancel filter paper, cut the rubber washer hole about 3 times bigger, and it works just great. I do not use a power mic, I don't think they really improve much on a modern cb with modulation control. If they can't hear you, they can't hear you. I have been so amazed at how well I get out, I run a home built wire loop, nothing fancy, but I am out skip right to florida from canada every day on stock power, Local 20 miles no problem, and mabe more have not really tstd it base to base, so few on here. But this radio has done one can demand of a cb radio on stock power.
Have you heard of any 980 operators who've found a replacement mic that actually sounds better that the supplied one? Can a different mic be used on the 980? If I'm correct there's a wireless mic that I've herdh and in all honesty it sounds great. Theres a local (420) here in NJ who often uses the wireless mic to sit in his backyard and the mic sounds excellent! I'd like to hear the wired and wireless one side by side (back and forth.) Do you have the wireless mic or have you've heard one? If so what do you think? In all honesty I think as soon as I get my antenna back up I'm gonna go ahead and purchase one (980.) At the price for a brand new one it's really a no brainier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.