• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hey older hammies, what's with the attitude???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that repeater systems don't operate with zero maintenance. They do need occasional upgrades. To me it seemed like if the letter was worded better it might not come across so demanding and might be more effective. The use of "generous donation" was a bit redundant. Maybe something like "give as little or as much as you can. Any and all donations, regardless of the amount, would be greatly appreciated."
I got the feeling that when they said "generous donation" that the generous part was emphasized on the amount, not the generosity of donating.

Reactions: Blackcat630
Someone needs to break the ice. A newcomer attending their first meeting is thinking that some member within the club should make it a point to greet you, but that doesn't always happen, especially with your first attendance. On the other hand, active club members sometimes sit back and ignore newcomers because they have no idea what your attentions are. You could be there just to drive grandpa back home. Want to break the ice and be loved by the old timers? This also goes for possibly joining a different church. First, I would start asking them questions about the club that would relate to your likes, that shows them you're interested. Second, ask them if there's anything you can do in the future to help. "Help" in the context of any or all duties. Remember, old folks are getting tired of carrying most of the work load and love all the youthful enthusiasm they can get. Try those tips at your second meeting. If you still get the same offish result, drop those losers cold turkey.

So much is lost when it could have said

"We need your help" versus a phrase that can leave a lot of ,members of any club of any type just a little nervous...

Notsure.gif

I can understand transparency - but by wording alone - it makes the letter appear as a means of a promissory note - a promise was made to someone they would be paid back funds from the campaign but no terms or agreement or disclosure - isn't this what Donald Trump is getting scrutinized for? IT makes it sound as if a contract was drafted that requires payment be made to someone whom paid it forward but calls is a "loan"

It's is either a donation or not - if you expect to be paid, don't call it a donation - if you're making a donation - don't expect to get paid.

If you're ever in the western NY area, feel free to check into the K2XZ repeater, one of the most popular and it has the widest coverage. It is a one owner repeater and he refuses to except donations, therefore avoiding any monetary transition problems. He says, if you want to donate to the cause, support one of the other local repeaters.

Reactions: S&W357 and binrat
from what i am reading you all need stronger skin. remember how is was when you got your 1st cb did not know what to say.or if you would be welcomed in there click. not much of a difference. when i got on ham radio the first time. i felt like a fish out of water. eventually they had to talk to me. or ill talk over them.

I remember going to many CB Jamborees. Fun stuff that was, nary a snob in the bunch. Used to fill up the fairgrounds. Local Civil Defense members and Boy Scouts would direct parking and various organizations selling food. Games and prizes for all ages.

Mud foot that post makes me think back to my younger days of the Central Valley CB'ers club now that is old. ( so old I would bet you drove a M50 Ontos )...... I started playing radio a lifetime ago on CB with my younger brothers. We then moved on to Ham radio for more room to play with. We did understand that if we were using the ham frequencys we had to play by different rules , that was no big deal to us. As for clubs it's like anything else , We also had a local club of mostly older guys that seemed to think that if you did not build your own radio you were not worthy of sharing the band with you. Hey we started our own club. Scraped together enough money to buy a old forest service radio and set up our own 2 meter repeater. And went from there.The thing is don't let some one else's crappy attiutude discourage you from having fun. Ham radio is what You make of it. You are going to find that kind of attitude in lots of hobbys just roll on and have fun.

Jeff

This is the truth and has always been the truth. If you want to be treated with respect, be respectful to those around you. I taught my son that manners matter in life and he has passed many people that might have better credentials, but lacked in manners.
If you go through a interview and you do all of the Yes Sir/Ma'ams you will be remembered when candidates are being narrowed down. The job he has held for the last 20 years he beat out a person with an MBA. They remembered the demeanor of the MBA person as snooty and would be a problem with direction and supervision of the shop personnel.
My son was a natural for the shop group because he is a highly qualified welder and has learned CAD and Mechanical Engineering. And he is a red neck.

Watch out now the RealPorckChop is on line.

You should stick to what you been doing and not trying to be a comedian, har har you is funny!

I was born and raised in the south, in a town no more than a speck of fly poop on the map. I gots me some of them fancy manners, I just decided to be evil and try to rule the Galaxy. My momma always did hate my helmet.

(I’m leaving myself open there in case you didn’t see it)

You should stick to what you been doing and not trying to be a comedian, har har you is funny!

I was born and raised in the south, in a town no more than a speck of fly poop on the map. I gots me some of them fancy manners, I just decided to be evil and try to rule the Galaxy. My momma always did hate my helmet.

(I’m leaving myself open there in case you didn’t see it)
She told it was a helmet but it was actually a chamber pot. The Galaxy she wanted you to rule that old Ford Galaxy on the blocks in your front yard.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
This is the truth and has always been the truth. If you want to be treated with respect, be respectful to those around you.
If you don't believe it, trash talk the next cop that pulls you over for a minor traffic offense and really get in their face. See how long it takes a night stick to find those lumps on your head.

You could join any kind of club and be treated like this also. My question is why do you care and what makes you think this is exclusive to ham radio? If you keep this mindset you'll turn into one of those old curmudgeons in about 20 years.

This, there are a lot of old crusts and cliques anywhere and everywhere, you have to take the good with the bad and move on, it's not smart to assume that everyone is
going to be that way. It's like with guns if you go to a fudd club, yeah, there are going to be fudds there, but theres a ton of other people to associate with....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated