1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey older hammies, what's with the attitude???

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by loosecannon, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I have been a CB'er for fifty years and a ham for only five. My cb radios out number my ham radios eight to one. I won't give up CB because road conditions and traffic. I don't know of any ham frequencies where that information is available.

2. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

That's true. I don't use CB for anything remotely important but I won't be giving it up any time soon. I use the amateur bands more often because thats where I can find people.11m is dead around here.

3. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

they dont want to communicate. if your not in there click.

4. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

I don't come across that way
    I avoid social engagements
    Other than teaching and exam sessions I don't attend meetings.
    I'm 61
    I wouldn't know , any club that would have me for a member I wouldn't want to belong to.

5. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

46E630BE-B26D-4FDF-932A-EC756A071E6C.gif

6. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Same here with a twist.

Attended a local "club meeting"
    I took a friend of mine blind ham who was a member of this same club 15 years earlier.

One member remembered my blind friend and acknowledged him, the rest ignored both of us.

We went with intent to join the club and pay annual dues.
    We were never invited to join or even felt like we were welcome at the "public meeting".

As CK said assholes everywhere, move on.

binrat likes this.
  7. hillbilly101

hillbilly101 KE8GGC

I took my Technician test at a local club...last guy to show up, they were packing it in. I had worked that day, and thought they were gonna be there longer. They hauled all of the testing materials back out and said please sit down, and get comfortable.. As a part of passing that exam, they gave me a free 1 yr membership to the club. I never went back to the club until 11 months later when I got a club renewal notice...I thought "what the heck" and went to the next meeting... They welcomed me, and 2 of the guys even remembered me from taking the exam. I'm still a member. There are "clicks" no doubt, but the majority of Amateur Radio operators are good people. Maybe slow to warm up to new people....but if you show up more often, they usually come around. Just my experience.

binrat, sunbulls, 543_Dallas and 6 others like this.
  8. Hurricane145

Hurricane145 Active Member

I have been a ham for almost 50 years now. I was on CB a lot for about two years before that.
    I really enjoyed going to CB breaks (breakfast breaks) a handful of the locals had back then on Saturday mornings.Same with a group of hams in more recent years.
    We used to have repeater group meetings that were fun and interesting years ago.

I have only been to a few formal ham radio club meetings and they were a drag so I quit going many years ago. Informal get togethers were always much more fun.

9. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

One cb group had keggers and I went to just one. The individual who was obnoxious on the air was far worse in person.

10. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Join the masonic lodge if you dont want to be shunned we are all brothers. We all have to do the same degrees since the beginning of time...Just sayin

11. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

The guys from 7200 should throw a kegger. I'd love to see that on the 10 o'clock news.

12. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

I tested through a club, and got an email wanting money for repeater upgrades a short time later. That letter really put me off in a bad way. I guess i could understand sending this to members, but it seems a little demanding for a new kid. If anyone has time to read it and let me know if I'm out of line, I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

ButtFuzz and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  13. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I stay ahead of the repeater donation guilt. A guy that takes care of the local repeaters always asks me why I don't to use them. I tell him I don't feel right about using their machines since I don't help with maintenance or operating cost. It doesn't seem right to me.

14. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

I'm fine with helping with costs, but what the heck are the costs? $3000? $30000? Don't be scolding me for a "generous donation" without telling me what is needed. If I can't transmit on your repeater without sending you a thousand dollars a month, why would I want to be part of your club? It's like they have zero people skills.

For the record, this club is at a different qth from the other club I have talked about. The other club members have almost scolded me for not using their repeater.

15. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

I understand that repeater systems don't operate with zero maintenance. They do need occasional upgrades. To me it seemed like if the letter was worded better it might not come across so demanding and might be more effective. The use of "generous donation" was a bit redundant. Maybe something like "give as little or as much as you can. Any and all donations, regardless of the amount, would be greatly appreciated."

#45 Blackcat630, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019