• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hey older hammies, what's with the attitude???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea that you have to act a certain way on amateur radio is ridiculous. When you get your license you do not have to take an oath to never use CB again.

If you try to act like someone you aren't people may not want to talk to you because you seem stuck up or are just boring. Loosen you tie and forget the Q codes unless you're using CW.

The rules aren't that complicated. ID every 10 minutes, 1500 watts, stay in band and the rest is just being a decent human being.

It's unfortunate that some people get a license and the first thing they hear is the guys on the local repeaters that also think they have to act a certain way. This starts a viscous cycle of snobbery that is completely unnecessary. In my experience the old timers are usually nicer. They may even have a sense of humor.
I have been a CB'er for fifty years and a ham for only five. My cb radios out number my ham radios eight to one. I won't give up CB because road conditions and traffic. I don't know of any ham frequencies where that information is available.

I have been a CB'er for fifty years and a ham for only five. My cb radios out number my ham radios eight to one. I won't give up CB because road conditions and traffic. I don't know of any ham frequencies where that information is available.

That's true. I don't use CB for anything remotely important but I won't be giving it up any time soon. I use the amateur bands more often because thats where I can find people.11m is dead around here.

Are you aware that you come across this way?
I don't come across that way
Do you act like this in non-ham social engagements?
I avoid social engagements
Do you ever bring this subject up in meetings?
Other than teaching and exam sessions I don't attend meetings.
before anyone answers that it's just normal age difference, two of the people that this happened to are 60+ years old.
I'm 61
ham clubs suck
I wouldn't know , any club that would have me for a member I wouldn't want to belong to.

I don't come across that way

I avoid social engagements

Other than teaching and exam sessions I don't attend meetings.

I'm 61

I wouldn't know , any club that would have me for a member I wouldn't want to belong to.

46E630BE-B26D-4FDF-932A-EC756A071E6C.gif

Same here with a twist.

Attended a local "club meeting"
I took a friend of mine blind ham who was a member of this same club 15 years earlier.

One member remembered my blind friend and acknowledged him, the rest ignored both of us.

We went with intent to join the club and pay annual dues.
We were never invited to join or even felt like we were welcome at the "public meeting".

As CK said assholes everywhere, move on.

Reactions: binrat
I took my Technician test at a local club...last guy to show up, they were packing it in. I had worked that day, and thought they were gonna be there longer. They hauled all of the testing materials back out and said please sit down, and get comfortable.. As a part of passing that exam, they gave me a free 1 yr membership to the club. I never went back to the club until 11 months later when I got a club renewal notice...I thought "what the heck" and went to the next meeting... They welcomed me, and 2 of the guys even remembered me from taking the exam. I'm still a member. There are "clicks" no doubt, but the majority of Amateur Radio operators are good people. Maybe slow to warm up to new people....but if you show up more often, they usually come around. Just my experience.

I have been a ham for almost 50 years now. I was on CB a lot for about two years before that.
I really enjoyed going to CB breaks (breakfast breaks) a handful of the locals had back then on Saturday mornings.Same with a group of hams in more recent years.
We used to have repeater group meetings that were fun and interesting years ago.

I have only been to a few formal ham radio club meetings and they were a drag so I quit going many years ago. Informal get togethers were always much more fun.

Join the masonic lodge if you dont want to be shunned we are all brothers. We all have to do the same degrees since the beginning of time...Just sayin

I tested through a club, and got an email wanting money for repeater upgrades a short time later. That letter really put me off in a bad way. I guess i could understand sending this to members, but it seems a little demanding for a new kid. If anyone has time to read it and let me know if I'm out of line, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• repeater donation request 2017.3.pdf
    134.4 KB · Views: 175
I stay ahead of the repeater donation guilt. A guy that takes care of the local repeaters always asks me why I don't to use them. I tell him I don't feel right about using their machines since I don't help with maintenance or operating cost. It doesn't seem right to me.

I'm fine with helping with costs, but what the heck are the costs? $3000? $30000? Don't be scolding me for a "generous donation" without telling me what is needed. If I can't transmit on your repeater without sending you a thousand dollars a month, why would I want to be part of your club? It's like they have zero people skills.

For the record, this club is at a different qth from the other club I have talked about. The other club members have almost scolded me for not using their repeater.

I understand that repeater systems don't operate with zero maintenance. They do need occasional upgrades. To me it seemed like if the letter was worded better it might not come across so demanding and might be more effective. The use of "generous donation" was a bit redundant. Maybe something like "give as little or as much as you can. Any and all donations, regardless of the amount, would be greatly appreciated."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated