• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hey older hammies, what's with the attitude???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preconceived notions don't help.
On the side of both parties.
Sometimes it's nothing more than the Cool Hand Luke syndrome. "What we have here, is failure to . . ."

IMHO this is one of the things that, over time, has always destroyed radio or people
getting into radio. The problem is we have 3 types of operators, a bunch of mindlessly pious and judgemental hams, some excuse making cbers that make excuses about not getting licensed because they don't like some of the pious hams (or they start thinking that they're all that way) and then theres the rest of us, the people that just want to work/play radio and get enjoyment out of that and cast all the other crap aside. The only upshot with the drop in the # of stations on both services is as time goes by, more of the hard-core guys end up being in the third group.

Reactions: S&W357
Even the newly licensed hams get some discrimination from the older pious hams.
You see we didn't have to learn Morse code so therefore we are less than they are and are not deserving the privilege of Amateur Radio Service.
The CBer who does not like the pious hams, okay but why let that stop you? I don't like the attitude of some CBers either.
What do you mean by Hardcore? I got into ham radio to provide a service.
After Hurricane Katrina the hams in New Orleans setup with their own equipment to help get the first responders back online and able to do their jobs. That inspired me to get my ticket and get ready to help out here just in case. The is one branch of law enforcement If they need me they know all they have to do is ask and I'll be there for them.
I have generators, batteries, antennas, and radio gear at their beck and call.
Does that sound hardcore?

Even the newly licensed hams get some discrimination from the older pious hams.
You see we didn't have to learn Morse code so therefore we are less than they are and are not deserving the privilege of Amateur Radio Service.
The CBer who does not like the pious hams, okay but why let that stop you? I don't like the attitude of some CBers either.
What do you mean by Hardcore? I got into ham radio to provide a service.
After Hurricane Katrina the hams in New Orleans setup with their own equipment to help get the first responders back online and able to do their jobs. That inspired me to get my ticket and get ready to help out here just in case. The is one branch of law enforcement If they need me they know all they have to do is ask and I'll be there for them.
I have generators, batteries, antennas, and radio gear at their beck and call.
Does that sound hardcore?

Yeah it is, and it's a good thing. My point is these divisions exist, and I'm going to go out on a limb here, but WRT this forum, most people here are really in the 3rd group, not the other two. The other two are too busy whining. The rest of us are doing our thing, just like you, or just other operators helping each other out, regardless of whatever service they're on.

I was treated the same way by a bunch of classic car guys. I was also treated the same way by a bunch of remote control airplane guys. I was also treated the same way by................Every group has assholes that stick together. Amateur radio is not unique in this.Time to get over it and move on.

Carefully, Captain Kilowatt trudged up mons bungus, and approached the event horizon of the holus sphincteris of homo sapiens hamclubbius... Only to find another red asshole.

My 1st experience with a Club meeting was positive. I was able to find a couple of folks who I had already talked to on air. I felt comfortable and at ease in the company of these fellow Hams. After the meeting I had mentioned to a couple of guys that I was having some difficulty manually programming my uv5r. At this point not one or 2 hams, but several of them got right on the task of getting me squared away before I went home. I was very pleased, and met some guys that I would eventually talk with on 2 meter everyday. They were a mix of Old and new Amateurs. Even the crustiest old knowledgeable grizzled Extra Class One, was approachable.
Yes there were some who was in their own small group that kinda had the attitude that have been mentioned here , but they didn't really distract from the experience. I wasn't bothered by that. I understood that they had their own group of folks who they kept up with, and enjoyed getting together at this meeting instead of over the air for the last month.
I also got invited to their weekly Breakfast get together.
Im just saying that these meetings can be fun and productive. At least that was my impression. Unfortunately I moved out of the area before I really had a chance to get to know these guys better, but I walked away from that meeting and experience with a positive light on Ham Radio. JMHO.

Reactions: Blackcat630
My close friend(SK c. Sept, 2018) was an old-timer, Was friends with WWII Ham/Vets as well. Reality is repeater clubs are cliquish. BTW the good ol timers are long gone. Listen to 14,313, 7200, 3843, etc...

If you listen to the freqs. you posted you won't hear anything worth listening to.
Tune around & you will find a lot of ops to have sensible qsos with.

Since I got my license a year ago, I've spent a lot of time on 20 and 40 meters. Have made a lot of contacts and listened to hundreds of qso's. Not once have I heard an operator display questionable behavior of any kind. Zippo. Nada.
Some are more business-like than others, but all have been very nice. :)

I gave up on hammie radio long ago due to the attitudes from the old farts. I hope the hobby dies. They deserve it... f them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?