• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HG 2879 die/ flange

Crusher

May 12, 2007
Louisville, KY
i figured I’d post this for informational purposes. The die or flange on these new DEI, HG and RFP 2879’s is larger than the old Toshiba flange. If you have to replace Toshiba with newer version, you will have to pull board and use a dremel to make transistor opening larger. I’ve had a lot here lately that I’ve had to replace transistors where someone else replaced previously. They had to be replaced because they weren’t seated right, too much thermal grease that couldn’t escape around edges. They were in so tight I had to rock them back and forth with needle nose pliers to pull out. Add to the fact the holes weren’t countersunk correctly and it spells disaster for the new devices. In fairly short time.

I've always thought is was a dumb idea for Davemade/X-Force/Fatboy/Etc. to cut the flange hole in the PC board so close to the flange size. Even a 1/16th of an inch larger wouldn't have hurt anything and would have made installing/replacing transistors a lot easier. We also wouldn't need to have this conversation about the slightly larger flange on HG's.

Reactions: Crusher

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?