• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

History Question

Do you know what Happened at the Bikini Atoll

• Yes

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Here is a History ? for those that are interested.

What three American events occurred on April 19th?

Or tell what George Washington was about to do in this famous painting.

Trenton

I enjoy history. Much is not stuff you could even make up.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, they blew the sum bitch up with atomic bombs

It is still there.The people that once lived there are however, not.
Since we are on the second page ....
A Short History of the People of Bikini Atoll

After the war, in December of 1945, President Harry S. Truman issued a directive to Army and Navy officials that joint testing of nuclear weapons would be necessary "to determine the effect of atomic bombs on American warships." Bikini, because of its location away from regular air and sea routes, was chosen to be the new nuclear proving ground for the United States government.

In February of 1946 Commodore Ben H. Wyatt, the military governor of the Marshalls, traveled to Bikini. On a Sunday after church, he assembled the Bikinians to ask if they would be willing to leave their atoll temporarily so that the United States could begin testing atomic bombs for "the good of mankind and to end all world wars." King Juda, then the leader of the Bikinian people, stood up after much confused and sorrowful deliberation among his people, and announced, "We will go believing that everything is in the hands of God."

Jeff

It is still there.The people that once lived there are however, not.
Since we are on the second page ....
A Short History of the People of Bikini Atoll

Jeff

Thanks for the link. I read the entire piece.

I was born in 56'.
I can recall the pamphlets on building bomb shelters and surviving the fallout.

The Cold War is another topic all to itself but I believe that those in power on all sides could have pressed the button at any time.

It is my opinion that mutually assured destruction, "MAD", used as a deterrent worked and here we are.

As of today's news, I don't believe that the Iranians are going to "bomb" anyone. If anything it is all a poker game.

Back to the topic, I think it could be said that the Bikini people were screwed by the US.

Don't blame kids for not knowing about these things. The "darker" side of US history is pretty much omitted from today's history books. Sorta like best swept under the rug and forgotten

I agree that the dark side gets omitted.
Its good that it comes up for discussion so we can reflect on it.

If you ever get the chance to read the "Flyboys" by James Bradley it begins with the the rise of Japan as a power and the brutality used on those they sought to conquer.
That brutality was in part a mimicking of the methods of great western powers including the U.S., specifically how we treated the natives that were here before us.
None of that really ever made it into the John Wayne movies.

...not on a soapbox, just expanding on the conversation

Any more guesses who the model was?:p:

Attachments

• Bikini.jpg
    Bikini.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 199
I do not blame the kids.
It is interesting how things have changed tho.
Mack, it was "duck and cover".
Look up "Bert, the civil defense turtle"
And I remember when almost everyone knew were the nearest Fallout shelter was located in Town.
And Yes I agree, the people that lived on the Islands did get screwed, bigtime.

Jeff

I'm 68 and I read about it in the Las Vegas newspapers (not the George Washington part - the one about Eniwetok/Bikini/Marshall Islands).

I also remember the above-ground nuclear testing just 120 miles from where I lived at that time. My mom would wake me up at oh-dark-thirty to listen to the countdown on the radio; we didn't have TV until I was in the 4th grade in 1954. When the countdown got to "zero", I got a really good idea of the "speed of light": it's quick!! The whole sky turned a beautiful purple or a sickly green, depending on the cloud cover. About 3 minutes later we felt the shock.

Reactions: 1 person
remember at school going to the basement for "fire drills" ?

Yupper!

The basement isn't going to help you when 1 missile carrying MIRVs comes your way.

Here's what they look like coming in through the atmosphere.

Think of a buckshot pattern, just thermonuclear...
The crossing of shockwaves will flatten everything.

Attachments

• MIRVs.jpg
    MIRVs.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 203
Yupper!

The basement isn't going to help you when 1 missile carrying MIRVs comes your way.

Here's what they look like coming in through the atmosphere.

Think of a buckshot pattern, just thermonuclear...
The crossing of shockwaves will flatten everything.

Isn't that the whole point? If we can't have it then you can't either.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.