• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew 572B amp

OK the paint finally dried. Trem Clad makes some good paint but it is a bitch to use if you are in a hurry. First pic is of the newly painted front panel with all the original components installed with the exception of the two silver switches which were add-ons from another project but will be usefull.Red lamp for filaments on, green lamp for plate voltage on and ready to go.Plate voltage will be locked out until filaments are turned on first. A pair of breakers and six fuse holders along with two switches complete the front panel.The black wrinkle finish just says "Old Buzzard gear" all over. :D For those of you NOT familiar with the term "buzzardly" I direct you to the dictionary of the one and only Tim Smith aka Timtron aka W-A-1-H-Yell-R . Tim is found most nights tearing up and down the 75m AM window.

Category:Timtron - HF Underground

img1205sm.jpg

Here is the rear view of the chassis with new deck plate installed.

img1206sm.jpg

An finally the complete chassis with what I believe to be the final component layout.

img1207sm.jpg

The plate transformer in the upper right is from a Collin's broadcast transmitter of I believe 500 watts carrier rating. It puts out 3200 volts AC either side of centre tap.The rectifier will be of the conventional full wave non bridge type. The black choke in the upper left is the power supply filter choke for the high voltage. This power supply will be choke input and will be smoothed by the pair of 6 µF@4000 volt capacitors seen in the bottom left of the picture.Both caps will go in parallel after the filter choke. This should make a fairly stiff supply which is required for SSB service.The bottom right shows the two filament transformers that were originally with this piece of surplus gear when I picked it up 25 years ago. They will work quite nicely with this project.since i decided to go with an outboard PSU I figured why scrimp on component values and go with something that is more than suited for the task rather than use something that is borderline. Not sure what the final weight of the PSU is but the plate tranny itself weighs about 55 pounds. It is easily over 100-120 pounds total weight. And to think that this is the light weight supply compared to the one for the 3-500 or 4-400 project down the road. :eek: The last picture shows two of four rectifier stacks that were part of the now defunct RCA transmitter I scrapped. Two of these rectifiers will be used as a full wave rectifier with this power supply.They are rated at 10,000 volts at 3 amps each.

img1208sm.jpg

Next comes the scary part,bench testing everything to see what the final plate voltage will be. I also have a large 250 watt wire wound ceramic rheostat that can be installed in the plate circuit to lower plate voltage if I need too. It also came from the RCA tx.This supply will also have a step start circuit to limit both filament and plate inrush current. Time to call it quits for a while now. I work the next several days and my hand is still giving me grief. :cry: It was all I could stand to do to use the hand power drill this morning and just placing those heavy components around was a bitch. I can't keep a good grip on heavy things.The wife keeps talking about therapy for it and I keep saying it's getting better. What does SHE know. She's just a nurse,it's MY hand. :whistle:

Last edited:
You may want to reposition both filter caps after the choke. This will reduce B+.

If the choke has a good hipot rating it can be resonated for excellent transient regulation. Details are on AMFONE.

All you need for the filament current limiting is one of those R.F. Parts CL-XX thermistor current limiters on the primary of the filament xfmr. If there's no room for a filament variac see if you can rig a rheostat on the primary also.

You may want to reposition both filter caps after the choke. This will reduce B+.

If the choke has a good hipot rating it can be resonated for excellent transient regulation. Details are on AMFONE.

All you need for the filament current limiting is one of those R.F. Parts CL-XX thermistor current limiters on the primary of the filament xfmr. If there's no room for a filament variac see if you can rig a rheostat on the primary also.

Thanks for picking up on that! Corrected above.The other way would have seen the supply look like a capacitor input supply with an LC filter following it. this would have produced a MUCH higher voltage than I want. I was just looking at how RCA did that in their tx and was not paying attention to actual voltages present in the chain. I would like to think I would have caught that when the actual time comes to wire it up. :whistle:

As for the inrush limiting ,I was planning on the old relay switched series resistor in the primary thing for both fils and plate voltage but had considered the thermistor route. I saw the discussion about it on AMFONE. The plate transformer and the filter choke were mated together in an old Collins broadcast transmitter so they should work together quite well. It is just a matter of choosing the proper values of C to improve the performance of the choke. I have a couple other HV rated caps of differant values that may be better than what I have proposed to use. It's all a matter of math at this point what I use.

Just a coupla thoughts:

The broadcast rig has a constant load on the supply in the R.F. amp. The modulator is the dynamic load. Properly sized power supply components can be somewhat smaller with the constant load. If you use the amp on single slimeband the situation will be quite different.

The modulation reactor in the broadcast rig will also remove some supply ripple. A little more capacitance and revisiting the critical bleeder current might be worthwhile.

Nope. Life got in the way. Then came an antenna and tower rebuild that is on going at the moment. For now the amp project has been gone but not forgotten. It may possibly be ressurected as either a 4 X 572B or a 2 X 3-500Z project.

Any updates?

Nope. This is why I wish old threads would automatically lock after a year or so of inactivity......to avoid the embarrassment of having to answer questions like this. LOL Life took a hard turn about that point for several reasons and the project was dropped. It did however comeback as a 3CX3000A7 project. The power supply is built for that now as well as the meter panel and eventually I will start back on the RF deck. Several setbacks but I figured it would be a labour of love anyway and take a few years to just pick away at.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/i-was-bored-today.208424/

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.