• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade antenna Issue High SWR

Gunner: Question on your V58.
This in regards to your assembly. The clamps that hold the sections together, are these still those aluminum "hoop" type clamps with the set screw to "squeeze" the sections together? The couple I built for guys and help install used those years ago.
Gary

Reactions: Gunner357
IMHO: Junk those "Hoop" clamps and go get some stainless hose clamps to replace them. I found in a windy environment like Indiana, they tend to stretch and then let the elements "slip" down changing the tuning. This happened on 2 out of the 3 antennas in less than couple months after the install.
I also recommend taping every section with several raps of good electrical tape (Scotch 33+ or Scotch 88) to hold the clamps and sections in place. You need not cover the entire hose clamp, just make sure you get tape above and below the joint as this will help hold everything in place.
This is just a practice, I have always done once tuning is complete.
My homebrew 10 meter GP has been up like 10 years and tuning has never changed.
My 2 cents worth.
All the Best
Gary

IMHO: Junk those "Hoop" clamps and go get some stainless hose clamps to replace them. I found in a windy environment like Indiana, they tend to stretch and then let the elements "slip" down changing the tuning. This happened on 2 out of the 3 antennas in less than couple months after the install.
I also recommend taping every section with several raps of good electrical tape (Scotch 33+ or Scotch 88) to hold the clamps and sections in place. You need not cover the entire hose clamp, just make sure you get tape above and below the joint as this will help hold everything in place.
This is just a practice, I have always done once tuning is complete.
My homebrew 10 meter GP has been up like 10 years and tuning has never changed.
My 2 cents worth.
All the Best
Gary
Thank You. Yes I was planning on changing those clamps with something different not sure what, I already sealed the open 230 connector with ribbon weld Im just trying to figure out how Im going to mount the antenna previous plan didnt work out so need to make a new mounting plan

Reactions: Slowmover
possibly the best clamps for antennas,

http://www.breezehoseclamps.com/breeze/aero-seal/

very long lasting, lightweight & as strong as they need to be for that job,

the clamps on my i-10k still look like new after 15+ years exposed to uk weather and a quick scrub with soapy water.
yeah I have a stock of those in the garage just was looking for something 1 step better if there is one

i have stronger clamps, all stainless jubilee clips & mikalor supras but imho they ott,
bulkier & heavier than they need to be, they are a disadvantage in bad winds

punched band clamps are usually the shittiest clamps you can buy, i avoided them like the clap,

breeze changed my thinking with regards to clamps for antennas, imho the best for the job not the strongest clamp available, lighter & catch less wind that heavier duty clamps

well spending all day on I raised the antenna up its about 35 feet 3 feet above peak of house so I was short a coax so I added 20 more feet And went in And my SWR are 9.3 on 1 10.0 on 20 and 11. on 40 wth from 1.0 to1.0 can adding 20 do this? i need some opinion please i checked the extra cable that i soldered up with my VOHM and no shorts....

i just check coax with my meter say 22 ft well i have over 80 so its at the barrel connector i hooked meter up the the original 60 and swr were a lil higher by 1:1 now 1:4 why did they go up?? However the Issue was the cheap ass barrel connector so is there better ones or should I just solder a 239 on the coax?

Last edited:
only if the extra 20ft is faulty or bad connectors as you discovered,

if the extra 20ft is perfect & you don't have cmc on the braid vswr should read a little lower with the longer coax due to more loss in the coax the further away from the feedpoint you place the meter/analyser,

tuning will change when you raise it higher above ground especially if you start near the ground.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated