• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade antenna Issue High SWR

Gunner357

KE8PSI
Jul 12, 2020
Highland Michigan
I made this "SIMPLE ANTENNA" Set it up in a temporary place Match it got it to 1:2 on ch1 and 1:3 on 40 so I then went bought 60 feet of RG213 raised the antenna up 40 at the tip on antenna now I have 4.5 on 1 and 5.1 on 40 using a RigExpert AA-230 zoom analyzer.... I checked for shorts in coax all is good......Please help20200730_200843a.jpg

This antenna plan didn't require them .... The stinger goes up The GP goes down same length on both trim both when matching to sp5 its question to forestrunner the gp goes down inside mast

I just dropped it off the roof put it back where i WAS getting 1:2 and it at 6.5 now only other thing that is different is the rg213 i have on it now from the rg8x I had on it while matching earlier... the coax has no shorts I tested with my Fluke meter

Not sure I followed those instructions, but it seems to me you built a dipole fed in the center.
The coax feedline going straight down the PVC pipe in which the lower dipole leg is contained is a recipe for rf coupling, a bad match and skewed rf pattern. The instructions say use a certain length mast (I think). Probably this length masks the bad design by earth coupling. When you raise the antenna up higher the SWR goes awry.
All I said is based on my assumption it's a vertical dipole you built.

Not sure I followed those instructions, but it seems to me you built a dipole fed in the center.
The coax feedline going straight down the PVC pipe in which the lower dipole leg is contained is a recipe for rf coupling, a bad match and skewed rf pattern. The instructions say use a certain length mast (I think). Probably this length masks the bad design by earth coupling. When you raise the antenna up higher the SWR goes awry.
All I said is based on my assumption it's a vertical dipole you built.
correct i dropped the antenna back down to ground level where it did get 1:2 but now with the RG 213 on its gone crazy and I did check the coax with my AA-230 Zoom analyzer ans all checks out ok.....cable loss 0.60DB @27405 MHZ 49.8 ohms

Last edited:
I concur with Homer - The Coax being so close to the mast / dipoles' other half - generates the reflection - proximity.

It see the "construction and assembly" - like this - the site unless you're a member doesn't seem to offer photos of the work unless they took them down...so All I can do is imagine this...
upload_2020-8-8_9-3-8.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.