• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade antenna Issue High SWR

only if the extra 20ft is faulty or bad connectors as you discovered,

if the extra 20ft is perfect & you don't have cmc on the braid vswr should read a little lower with the longer coax due to more loss in the coax the further away from the feedpoint you place the meter/analyser,

tuning will change when you raise it higher above ground especially if you start near the ground.
am at ch1 1:3 ch20 1:3 ch 40 1:6 it was ch 1 1:4 ch 20 1:1 ch40 1:3

I just ordered a MFJ tuner
What did you order Gunner?
I would most likely tell to cancel, most of those so called 300 watt MFJ tuners are HIGHLY overated!!!! Most will take 100 watts of carrier MAX and 150 watts PEP and that's about it.
Homer is right the antenna is fine otherwise, unless you plan on running one of those "Picky" transistor amps!!!!:mad:
Any tube based amp will load that and never care!
All the Best
Gary

Gunner: Also can you reach the bottom section of tubing while standing on the roof??
You can change the tuning from there by shorting or lengthen and inch or so each way and adjust it...You need not do that from the top.
Some guys get way to touchy about the length and get crazy messing with tuning rings etc.
The antenna will work just fine adjusting the bottom section, as long as it's like +/- an inch or 2!
Thus if you wanted a better VSWR "higher" up the band:D
All the Best
Gary

... edit...most of those so called 300 watt MFJ tuners are HIGHLY overated!!!! Most will take 100 watts of carrier MAX and 150 watts PEP and that about it.

Those numbers are pretty close.
MFJ rates their tuners the same way the FCC used to rate legal power : by input power to the exciter.

Antennas used to be rated this way too.

Every MFJ tuner manual

Reactions: Slowmover
[Q
What did you order Gunner?
I would most likely tell to cancel, most of those so called 300 watt MFJ tuners are HIGHLY overated!!!! Most will take 100 watts of carrier MAX and 150 watts PEP and that's about it.
Homer is right the antenna is fine otherwise, unless you plan on running one of those "Picky" transistor amps!!!!:mad:
All the Best
Gary

UOTE="BJ radionut, post: 738151, member: 7026"]What did you order Gunner?
All the Best
Gary[/QUOTE]
MFJ 949E is whats coming It no Biggy if i dont like it Ill sell it.... ..... theres no way I can reach the antenna with out taking it down and its a pain And yes eventually I am running a amp ..... I just want to get this antenna crap finished and start studying to take HAM license exam

Reactions: BJ radionut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?