• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how close can a 2m J-pole be to a tower and not have problems

Aug 9, 2017
I am putting up a 2m J- pole on the side of my tower my beam is on. will that cause me SWR problems and or receive and transmit problems. And how far does it need to be away from the tower leg

I often wonder why certain people cannot/will not/are not capable of simply answering a

question. Don't include your two cents about antennas, who cares ?

If you cannot simply answer a question, just move on and don't be RUDE........

I often wonder why certain people cannot/will not/are not capable of simply answering a

question. Don't include your two cents about antennas, who cares ?

If you cannot simply answer a question, just move on and don't be RUDE........

Speaking of being RUDE........... you just contributed how? First it was not your thread to get bent out of shape about the responses and secondly decent knowledgeable people often offer alternatives IN ADDITION to answering the question because some less knowledgeable people may not be aware of the pros or cons of what they propose to use. That basically answers your "who cares" statement. As for the last sentence.....if you don't like the answers given then "just move on and don't be RUDE........"

Reactions: binrat and w9cll
thanks everyone for the replies, I now know what I need to do again thanks to everyone who replied. I now know that it can be mounted on the side of the tower as long as it is at least 3 FT away

Killowatt I didn't take any offence to what you said, I have done 11 m forever (like since the 70's) but this 2 m stuff is all new to me. I got the J-Pole because it was a cheap antenna that I could used now, just to monitor until I could get my ticket to be able to use it.

For what it is worth, I have used a 2 meter J-Pole because it is cheap to build, easy to mount, feed and match to both 2m and 70 cm. It is a decent performer with a 5 watt radio and very capable of hitting almost every repeater in the Atlanta Metro area.

Are there better antennas? Of course.
Are there more expensive antennas? Of course.

Are there cheaper antennas that rival the performance of a properly constructed 2m J-Pole? (n)

73's
David

Killowatt I didn't take any offence to what you said, I have done 11 m forever (like since the 70's) but this 2 m stuff is all new to me. I got the J-Pole because it was a cheap antenna that I could used now, just to monitor until I could get my ticket to be able to use it.

Well I would hope you did not take offense to what I said. I was directing my comment at someone else. :p

In my experience, a j-pole has its own tx/rx problems without any concerns on how it is mounted.

I have no idea why people still use those things.

Well the J-Pole is to 2m what the G5RV is to HF.........a basic antenna that gets you on the air but is far from special. I have used both a regular J0pole and an extended Super J-pole when I was first licensed. I made both of them and they worked well for what they were meant too and that was work into a few local repeaters. I never had a problem with them and had fun building them. Then I moved onto an 11 element yagi and never looked back. :ROFLMAO: When I repopulate the tower next year I will have at least one and possibly a pair of 13 element yagis for 2m SSB and a Comet X50 for 2m/70cm at 73 feet. The J-Pole worked for me but there are indeed better alternatives.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?