• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How much carrier output?

Hahaha, so im assuming the reason these makers say like 175w carrier max on a 2pill or 1,100w on a 16pill is so you blow it up and buy another one. Lol
You can run them like that but the lifespan is cut by more than half and you're running so close to the edge that if you had a momentary SWR spike it'd more than likely kill the box. You can run just about anything harder than spec but you better understand every aspect of your system or you'll watch it go up in smoke....literally

You can run them like that but the lifespan is cut by more than half and you're running so close to the edge that if you had a momentary SWR spike it'd more than likely kill the box. You can run just about anything harder than spec but you better understand every aspect of your system or you'll watch it go up in smoke....literally
Exactly. Thats why i loaf all my gear. I wanna die before it does.

you beat me to it
2022-12-16 15_38_52-2sc2879.pdf - Brave.png

The above data sheets are rated at 12.5 volts DC in a test jig.

The question was dead key, and I agree with the 25 watts per device carrier level.
Pep is an entirely different story.
There is a thread here were W8JI was able to make a single Toshiba produce over 250 watts in a test jig.
Here, went and found it.

Quote w8ji

"Just out of curiosity I bolted up a single 2SC2879 in class C (zero bias) in a single ended amplifier with resonant transformer. Heatsink is massive and I used a soft copper gasket for better heat transfer, no grease.

On 5 MHz I can easily push it to 30 amps Ic at 18 volts and get almost 300 watts output. At about 30 amps my supply shuts down. I didn't filter the output beyond the resonant transformer but the 2nd harmonic was about 15 dB down and 3rd harmonic much less level than that. Harmonics were pretty much gone after the third. The harmonics clearly contribute less than 10% to the output measured.

The statement a single 2SC2879 can produce 250 watts is accurate, so long as linearity and long term reliability are not factors, and the 250 watts does not have to be "harmonics" or things that mislead power meters (although this could be true in some cases)."

Note this:
The harmonics clearly contribute less than 10% to the output measured.

And he was testing at 18 volts, not 12.5.

Can't say this is for HG transistors but you could drive the original Toshiba's well beyond the spec sheet numbers.

Jeff

Yes sir.
For years I ran 1 pill 2879 box (90 PEP) into 2 pill 2879 box (100 PEP dead key and 500+ PEP out) with no issue, so even them saying 10 PEP in doesn't mean it's going to explode into dust if you exceed it. Toshibas were so underrated on the data sheet it's ridiculous.

The only way you will get 500 watts from a 2 pill 2879 box is if you 1) overdrive the snot out of it and 2) bump up the voltage to 17 er so. Both of which will really stress those finals and shorten their life. It's like driving your car around all the time at the engines redline.

What ever you did their worked for you I guess but I would hardly call that an example of the best way to run an amplifier. I get it if your doing a key down against someone but for every day talking 90 watts PEP into a 2 pill amp is nuts.

The only way you will get 500 watts from a 2 pill 2879 box is if you 1) overdrive the snot out of it and 2) bump up the voltage to 17 er so. Both of which will really stress those finals and shorten their life. It's like driving your car around all the time at the engines redline.

What ever you did their worked for you I guess but I would hardly call that an example of the best way to run an amplifier. I get it if your doing a key down against someone but for every day talking 90 watts PEP into a 2 pill amp is nuts.
20 volts on the 2 pill section, 15 on the 1 pill. Now...it was dirty...VERY dirty, I was killing 5 up and five down and anything with an antenna in a 2 mile radius. But the Toshibas held together for a couple of years like that. Admittedly, after the 6 volt battery died and I went back to 14-15 volts, I wasn't getting much at all out of them on the 15 volts.
I only ran it like that on the weekends.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I would ask a customer how many miles he wants the motor in his daily driver to last. If we made a competitive quarter-mile drag car, that might not be more than a hundred miles total.

A roundy-round racer might be good for a couple of thousand or more.

And if he wants to roll the odometer over twice before the heads have to come off, it won't be winning races.

The power he can get from his amplifier will dictate the service life, just like his daily driver. Leads to the question "how many times do you want to key it before the first KaBoom?"

The bigger the number, the lower the power level. Period.

Kinda off topic, but my DEIs have been running quite well. I've got a late model Texas Star DX-500V that I drive with between 30 and 50W pep. It puts out an easy 500 pep and 700 pep if I get loud. I can measure 1kw if I use the peak holding setting, but that means nothing. Anyhow, the best thing one can do to nearly any amp is a power wire upgrade. Make sure those hungry pills get the amperage they need.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.