• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to shoot skip

Just talk man. Say where your are (state) folks will talk if they hear you.
On the lighter side, Don't for get to end everything you say (on AM) with "and I just got down...".
Have fun it's out there...sometimes now....CH 28 may be a good place to look or LSB 38> I like SSB, not much of an AM guy, may radio is to small, and amp too weak...

I just got down is still being used, I was hoping it was maybe on the way out but it seems not. What are they getting down from the mic?

Reactions: Rwb and Handy Andy
I've just got back into CB radio last week and have been talking all over the US. It's still as fun as ever. When I was a teen I couldn't afford a "real" CB radio and only talked to locals, maybe 10 miles aways on a good day on a 3 watt wlkie-talkie. Now I have my Galaxy DX-2547 with a Sirio 2016 5/8 wave antenna and surfing the skip regularly. Now I have to learn what I've unlearned over the last 12 years.

I've just got back into CB radio last week and have been talking all over the US. It's still as fun as ever. When I was a teen I couldn't afford a "real" CB radio and only talked to locals, maybe 10 miles aways on a good day on a 3 watt wlkie-talkie. Now I have my Galaxy DX-2547 with a Sirio 2016 5/8 wave antenna and surfing the skip regularly. Now I have to learn what I've unlearned over the last 12 years.
Welcome! Conditions will be improving over the next several years.

Whats your qth, centeral ct here, im on ssb by day, am by night. I go by 221

Solar cycles and antenna system more than anything else. Only after the first two items are satisfied does power venture into it.

I did the most skip talking in a mobile with a 102" whip and 100w of power. That is all I had but I had the desire to sit in my 4Runner to 6am talking on the radio. I would often go from a party to my truck and then to class! I would sometimes leave a fantastic party to go talk on my radio for a few hours when skip was rolling in. -28F and I am sitting my truck for hours in a college parking lot.

Much easier when you have a nice warm home and a tower and a decent antenna etc.... Sometimes my girlfriends or my Mom or roommates would bring me hot beverages or a sandwich! Some times security would tap on the glass and scare the crap out of me just wondering what I was doing!

So there is also an element of long hours at times since you have to be up when the countries you might like to speak with are up and on the radio!

Reactions: Rwb
In the 1990's I would have some long conversations at times. I once talked to a guy in the UK for about 15 minutes when I lived in Georgia! We talked about keeping fish. My mom was into it she had 4 or 5 huge fish tanks and had fresh water, salt water, aggressive, non-aggressive tanks. Talked all over the world with an RCI2950 a 100w amp and a SS102 whip!

It did not matter where I lived from Georgia to Michigan I could reliably talk at night time to stations in California, Florida, Canada and Western Europe almost every night from 1990 to about 2001 or so then I got out of the hobby for long long time. The garbage we get from Mexico and South America is terrible. You just do not get the same kind of interesting conversations and the contesting is also kind of annoying.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?