• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 Problems.. Learning

brownstone101

Nov 10, 2010
so i got a HR2510. and fixed swr problems with my car and everything is checking out great. got a mic wired up to it correctly and getting good modulation and RF

the radio works for a good 7 mins and is loud i pick up locals great RX and TX works.

then it gets quiet. and i can hear a slight echo with full gain and volume its hardly sounding. the output goes down. if i turn radio off for a min it works great for another 2~5 mins and just loses output. i dont know where to go from here. SWR shows nothing on the display. i got a 4' firestick 2 and 18' coaxial

thanks.

to add more information,

it will power on, and the RX is fine. comes in loud and clear,
i rewired a uniden bearcat mike to it.
pin 1 yellow audio
pin 2 shield ground
pin 3 Red TX

we tested it at a shop and it ran what i was told 40W though this guys amped antenna and such. and the heat sink and radio actually warmed up, we used a different mike.

i wonder if i didnt wire my mic right and its protecting its self from my error?

i install it back in my car and it runs for 5 mins and goes into its protection mode. if i turn it off and let it reset it lasts another 2 and turns off into protection mode. i just installed my midland 77-888 and rechecked the swr on my firestick and between 1 ~40 its 1.5~1.6

but it all comes in clear and acts correct it just up and stops with faint audio.

its been modded for cb channels theres a brown wire and a black thing called
C945
p182c
added with two resistors and a brown wire lead to the other side of radio.:confused:

sorry i dont know everything about this radio. im self teaching and have learned alot but i haven't seen many people with my problem. the radio doesnt even get warm.

Brownstone

If you have searched some threads here you will see that there are some problems with these due to age.
Mine has some other problems but I would hold tight for now and leave it off until you get some "feedback" to avoid any damage that might occur.
Sorry I cant be of any more help but there is a great wealth of knowledge here and you asked the question on the right forum for an answer.
tracker.

thank you,
yeah im done messing with it till i get some feed back and or let a shop look at it. i cleaned a little of the glue out of it but i dont want to mess with it much. its a great radio. better thing is i payed 4$ for it :p: even if i gota pay some more later on to get it fixed im ahead. for right now im just going to use my midland 77-888 in town and listen to the chatter with it for the moment.:laugh:

if anyone knows how to help me let me know i hope i gave some good info?

Rogerbird's Radio Modification Information Page

I'm sending mine to Rogerbird this week.

Above is his site.

You may find help there?

He might even answer your post with suggestions?

All here are helpful.

Rogerbird can fix it for you if you decide to send it out to him

He does answer his e-mail posted on his site if you have questions. He has been very helpful to me and knows these radios inside out.

tracker.

if it is doing 40w its way too much for that radio,should only be set for 10w am/fm 20w pep ssb.

if you have a high swr at that wattage the radios thermistor diodes will be cutting down the output power,thats if the final hasn't went thermally intermittant (cutting out from overheating) from abuse.

do yourself a favour and adjust the alc for 18w ssb and the carrier power for 8w max, the output may well be capable of that power level but the components surrounding it aren't. the mrf 477 or mrf 455 final in that radio is very hard to source and very expensive if you can source it, its the last thing in that radio you want to have to replace.

the c945 is most likely a 2sc945 transistor.

do yourself an even bigger favour and get yourself a new tech, anyone setting a radio that high isn't worth having.

to add more information,

it will power on, and the RX is fine. comes in loud and clear,
i rewired a uniden bearcat mike to it.
pin 1 yellow audio
pin 2 shield ground
pin 3 Red TX

we tested it at a shop and it ran what i was told 40W though this guys amped antenna and such. and the heat sink and radio actually warmed up, we used a different mike.

i wonder if i didnt wire my mic right and its protecting its self from my error?

i install it back in my car and it runs for 5 mins and goes into its protection mode. if i turn it off and let it reset it lasts another 2 and turns off into protection mode. i just installed my midland 77-888 and rechecked the swr on my firestick and between 1 ~40 its 1.5~1.6

but it all comes in clear and acts correct it just up and stops with faint audio.

its been modded for cb channels theres a brown wire and a black thing called
C945
p182c
added with two resistors and a brown wire lead to the other side of radio.:confused:

sorry i dont know everything about this radio. im self teaching and have learned alot but i haven't seen many people with my problem. the radio doesnt even get warm.

yeah he keyed it though his amped setup and told me with his antenna it was at 40w but his was amped. he was just on his meter seeing 40w but the radio is still stock at 10w

what kind of price would it be if i ever sent it to him to fix?
and were is the alc and how can i double check someone hasn't messed with the power output? im looking at a pinout diagram right now cant find it.

Mind you brownstone, Doc from Doc's electronics told me on a long telephone conversation that the finals in these radios handle 80 watts easy.
He proceeded to tell me he sets them to about 50 watts.
You can see from Rogerbirds mods they can go pretty good on power beyond that on SSB!

Well, contact Roger and deal with him yourself.
His prices are very reasonable and he and another that this site knows that I would ever let touch my radio. Doc is under the weather right now but I feel both are quite qualified.

tracker

thanks again man.
im thinking of maybe when i got some money getting this girl fixed and not just giving up and calling her junk. i wonder why its doing, what its doing, and if its an easy fix or not, but ill talk to my local guy but ill have rogerbird or someone who eats sleeps and lives with this radio fix it right.

on the bright side the radio i now have a 4' firestick II and firestick coaxial with firering, i now have an awesome setup for my midland 77-888 to be effective on. best swr ive seen on that radio. im still getting the local guys i heard on the hr2510 on my 77-888 just with the improved antenna setup.

ok, update.

little more info i took off the panels again and ran it today using my hand to scene heat, IC103 has a big metal shield on it and the metal shield gets hot after a few mins and right when it gets too hot to touch the radios audio powers off. the radio remains active, full RF everything works on it but audio. i did more looking and saw that the IC103 chip is the audio output control, so im kind of putting two and two together here, to why the audio cuts out and i dont hear anyone, but i still get full RF and everything. might go to my local shop and see if i cant get a used IC103 chip or if anyone can tell me where to get one.

also heres what i saw in another forum (HR2510 troubles)
3284d1283373448t-president-hr2510-troubles-dscf1581.jpg

heres mine and what someone did to it.
IF you see the brown wire is soldered into the IC103 chip and is caried back to a resistor and some black 2 pin thing another resistor and is soldered to another pin. i do not know what this is used for, but i wonder if this is what is shorting, or over heating my IC103 chip
100_7094.jpg

100_7092.jpg

the TDA1905 burned out i take it on my HR2510 but i have another TDA1905 from another donor parts radio. i might replace the audio chip and see if that does it. well have someone who knows how to do it, i just pulled the exact donor chip from another radio. but that chip GETS HOT, thats a sign of an IC going bad correct?

Last edited:
Update,

FIXED the radio, rogerbird told me to replace C95 and C97
i did so and she runs great

both 16V caps cleaned up after-words and she has audio and stays cool worked solid for 20 mins and stayed cool to the touch.

thanks everyone/rogerbird

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.