• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT or Mobile for Newbie's first radio

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
OK. Here is a twist on a similar question I posted earlier.

I'm a 60 something newbie who just got my tech license. I'm interested in APRS, EchoLink, other computer interfacing possibilities, and possible ARES and emergency/public service uses. The radio would be used 98% of the time from home. So, whatever radio I get, it would be used mostly as a base - or so my limited involvement in the hobby leads me to believe.

I was originally briefly considering a basic HT like the Wouxun for $100. Then I looked into the features of the Kenwood TH-D72A that seemed to match my interests. About $460, plus antenna and extra batteries and cable.

Then I was APRS'ing from my computer with a guy who could be called a "professional" amateur - he has taught license classes most of his adult life. He suggests that I would get a bigger bang for my buck if I put that $500 into a mobile unit like the Kenwood TM-D710. It has all the features of the HT (minus the GPS built in) PLUS 50 watts instead of 5, better audio output, much more complete receive range, and the panel display is more visible than the HT. I'm sure I missed some worthwhile comparisons. So, in essence for $170 more ($50 more for the mobile and $120 for the Kenwood power supply) I would be getting a more substantial unit.

He suggested while it is not a carry about, for $60 I could get a basic Chinese handheld to send signal to the mobile if I determined I truly needed a walk-about.

Quick, somebody stop me before I work myself up to a Yaesu FTdx9000. (just kidding).

Is the TM-D710 overkill for me, or is it something to grow with? Is it a better use of limited cash compared to a full-featured handheld like the Kenwood D72?

All opinions and advice welcomed.

Honestly I would (if possible) go for something like an Yaesu FT-857.
This will be a far better choice especially for interfacing, and having HF it will give you that incentive to upgrade.

An HT is worthless 90% and a waste of money unless you want to be a "Shack on my belt" Ham.

If it were me I would go with the mobile rig and a power supply.

I started with a HT and it wasnt long I was looking to upgrade

Dont get me wrong there are times that a handheld is nice to have ( I wish I had one now ,even after over 10 years of being a ham) but for a daily user they are fairly limited for range ( that is just my opinion )

You dont have to spend a huge pile of money for an antenna,I made my first 2 meter antenna ( a j-pole out of rigid 1/2 inch copper pipe) and it worked great ,I still have one set back for things like field days or if my regular antenna goes bad.And I have a mag mount 2 meter antenna for mobile use

For several years I used one radio for my base and mobile use,just moved it as needed from desk to pickup.I figured a way where it would take me about ten minutes tops to move radio from house to pickup

oh yea...there are both handhelds and mobile radios that sell new for under 200$ ( single banders )....it all depends in what you are looking for

I would go for the mobile rig and power supply first and skimp on the HT later. You don't have to go for that Kenwood TH-D710; there are many to choose from depending on what functionality you want.

My first radio was the VX-8DR and is a great HT but I upgraded to a FTM-350 in 5 months. Their both awesome radios but I suggest going with a mobile and PS first. You will make more use with it as a base or in your vehicle. While I still use my HT regularly I use my mobile daily. As for overkill, I think that is something that only you can decide. Figure out your budget and go with the best unit you can afford.(y)

I think the advice to not get an HT as your first radio, but a mobile instead, is good advice. I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend? :)
There are other ways of doing APRS than by having it 'built-into' the radio, you might look into that too.
- 'Doc

I think the advice to not get an HT as your first radio, but a mobile instead, is good advice. I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend? :)
There are other ways of doing APRS than by having it 'built-into' the radio, you might look into that too.
- 'Doc
Doc is right about other ways to achieve APRS without having it built in. I was given an old Motorola commerical radio programmed to the freq and I went from there. Does not have all the abilities of a builtin setup but still is worthy.

Well, I started out with an HT and a mobile. Back then you couldn't post to a forum for the opinions of 10000 other people....ahhhh those were the days!

When I was first licensed I did the research and wound up getting a used Kenwood TH215A HT and an old rock bound Heathkit mobile. Both worked really well and got me by until I learned more about 2m and had enough cash to buy new. Oh yea...not enough money for a commercial mobile antenna so I converted an old base loaded CB antenna to work on 2m. It's very easy to do that. And I made a 1/4 wave gp so I could use the HT in the house.

Look around, research the radios you are interested in and buy what you want. ;)

I have a D710 in the car and after the novelty of APRS wears off the only time it is used is for ham supported special events. Good dual band dual receive radio for mobile or base. For fixed use (90%) the APRS function may be excess to your needs/wants.

Let me add a suggestion not mentioned. Icom 880 with dstar. If I have your location correct it looks like there is a 2m setup in Ocala. Don't know if there are others close by and which ones have access to the internet.

It is dual band single receiver and is a little cheaper than the 710. It does analog as well as the 710 limited only by the single receive. 880 only has merit if dstar repeaters are close. Many hams are using dv dongle for direct access from their desktop/laptop computer to the dstar network and skip the radio part at their end. Using an 880 seems more 'ham' like than the dongle if you have access via a repeater.

Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.