• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HUAGAO SEMICONDUCTOR CO., LTD.

View attachment 15846
Huagao Semiconductor Co., Ltd. is a Chinese high-tech company which has passed the standard attestation of ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems. We focus on the R & D and manufacturing of RF power transistors including related ceramic packages. We boast the manufacturing history of RF power transistors for 20 years. We are well-known in China...

This company looks pretty promising. Extensive line of RF power transistors, including 2SC 2166, 1969, 2312, and 2879. VERY competitive pricing. I've placed an order for an assortment for testing and evaluation. I will post the results. Wish they had a 2SC 1306/1307.

http://www.hgsemi.com/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkPFUIgS7pU

To be fair, many 11 meter amplifier builders copy a very old design. I'm curious who first engineered this classic design?

Time will tell if the qc is really any different.

Some serious side-by-side testing with original Toshibas is in order.
I mean tests done in a scientific manner, not here's my 4 x 2sc2879 box with HG transistors, now here it is with Toshiba transistors. Those are simple watt meter tests, not enough control over the variables to provide significant data, just a crude way to show the gain.

I think it's great and all that the pp100 & HG transistors are on the market (good for replacing burnt parts "on the cheap") but to be honest I think it's about time we (as a whole) stepped into the 21st century when it comes to amp design, more efficient components have since been created.
JMHO
EDIT: And I just about bumped a 1 year old thread... Doh!
Which components are more efficient than bipolar transistors?

Here's a piece of test equipment that no amplifier Builder should be without but very few even have a clue about the purpose.

That's a fact jack! I use the curve tracer to test new transistors before I install them.
The results can be pretty surprising. I have photos of some sample traces for brand new MS-1051's I received a company. Over 60% of those transistors were defective before they were ever installed. And yes, strict ESD measures were being used.
3353-1425595712-c9dcca6d523e231d055dc9a40bc2a83f.jpg

Last edited:
Which components are more efficient than bipolar transistors?
Look into some of the LDMosfet devices, like the BLF188XR, you can produce more power using less current (yes it runs @ 50 volts) I don't personally know of any candidates that would be acceptable to use at 14 V.
I just saw tallman's post.

I think the biggest barrier is going to be the power supply in mobile applications, that is going to require more work than previously. You can't just add an extra alternator and battery & get 50 Volts. Once a charging scheme and battery bank are easily thrown together, I think we will see more these devices in mobile applications. Perhaps a golf cart charger and a similar style battery bank as used in golf carts. I don't know if golf carts even run at 50 V so I need to check into that... 73

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
Just how many of these would be needed, not to nitpick or anything but many of these Chinese devices are rated at much higher values than they can actually perform safely. Nothing about this device tells me that it's rated for high current draw. I thought about a boost converter but I haven't looked into it, there might be reasons why one would want to avoid a boost converter.

Last edited:
Test
Just how many of these would be needed, not to nitpick or anything but many of these Chinese devices are rated at much higher values than they can actually perform safely. Nothing about this device tells me that it's rated for high current draw. I thought about a boost converter but I haven't looked into it, there might be reasons why one would want to avoid a boost converter.

Testing in progress! I have done a preliminary test as to whether or not the ones I bought even function. Just started testing on the first one and the second is up next. Then I have to build a load bank that can handle the volts and watts.
Boost converters do generate some RFI and might need extra filtering and shielding.

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
Test

Testing in progress! I have done a preliminary test as to whether or not the ones I bought even function. Just started testing on the first one and the second is up next. Then I have to build a load bank that can handle the volts and watts.
Boost converters do generate some RFI and might need extra filtering and shielding.
Please post your results, even if it isn't numbers, just what you find out would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm a bit leery of that until I see it proven. Looking closer at the specs:

Features:
100% Brand New & High Quality
NEW DC-DC 600W 10-60V to 12-80V Boost Converter Step-up Module Car Power Supply

Specifications:
Input voltage : 10V -60V
Input Current: Maximum input current of 15A
Output voltage : 12V -80V continuously adjustable
Output current: maximum output current of 10A ( adjustable )
Output power: the effective power P = input voltage V * 10A
Conversion efficiency: up to 95% ( input voltage, current; output voltage and current impact of conversion efficiency )
Short circuit protection : Fuse
Net Weight :272g
Size: 82*61*60mm
Color:Black& Green

Package Included:
1 x Boost Converter Step-up Module

Note the RED lines. Would this not mean a maximum power available would be 120 watts or perhaps as much as only 145 watts at 14.5 volts INPUT?
I could see 600 watts if you were driving it with 60 volts and asking it to make 70-80 volts out but not 600 watts at 12 volts INPUT.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.