• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HUAGAO SEMICONDUCTOR CO., LTD.

Referring to solid state beta matching multiple bipolar transistors.

I just HAD to ask that. LOL. I used to use one of those a loooong time ago. Quite useful but not 100% necessary even for an amp builder if he is a basement builder. Working in an actual RF lab is another story.The following circuit works well as a simple beta tester and allows accurate matching of transistors.

DMM Beta tester.jpg

I'm a bit leery of that until I see it proven. Looking closer at the specs:
Specifications:
Input voltage : 10V -60V
Input Current: Maximum input current of 15A
Output voltage : 12V -80V continuously adjustable
Output current: maximum output current of 10A ( adjustable )
Output power: the effective power P = input voltage V * 10A
Conversion efficiency: up to 95% ( input voltage, current; output voltage and current impact of conversion efficiency )

The "Watt Doctor" is in and he is right.
I tested both of them and both were the same. The maximum voltage achieved was approx. 36.5 to 37.3 under load. The maximum wattage it achieved was 165 watts.
I have no doubt that it could get that 600 watts mark but never from 13.8 VDC.
How ever with a static invertor it might be doable. Those routinely convert 12 VDC into 120 VAC.

You can't just add an extra alternator and battery & get 50 Volts.
How about four alternators connected in series?;)

On a more serious note could an alternator be made to put out 50 volts by feeding more juice from the voltage regulator or is there some limit to how much the output can be boosted in this way?

if there is a limit could manipulating the number and/or size of the windings get around it?

How about four alternators connected in series?;)

On a more serious note could an alternator be made to put out 50 volts by feeding more juice from the voltage regulator or is there some limit to how much the output can be boosted in this way?

if there is a limit could manipulating the number and/or size of the windings get around it?
Web search "Can a car alternator generate 110v"
I found a thread on another forum (which I am not going to link here)
but it's from 2009 and a few people discuss this Idea, might be worth a quick read.
In my opinion (not going to cite knowledge I don't have)
It would be best to reduce the voltage and then work with it, instead of trying to boost/up-convert it.

Web search "Can a car alternator generate 110v"
I found a thread on another forum (which I am not going to link here)
but it's from 2009 and a few people discuss this Idea, might be worth a quick read.
In my opinion (not going to cite knowledge I don't have)
It would be best to reduce the voltage and then work with it, instead of trying to boost/up-convert it.
at one time I heard certain Cadillacs offered a 110 alternator

Reactions: LeapFrog
"Velocity High Output Alternator 7076-220-110V-Alt - 220A High Output Alternator for Ford Thunderbird"

They must be out there!

They are indeed and have been for decades. I remember when I was a kid my father was working construction/welding and a lot of the work trucks had 110 volt alternators installed. Guys could run drills, circular saws etc off the truck in a pinch.

If you bypass the rectifiers in the alternator you would have three phase AC power available. Frequency is dependent on the rotation speed of the alternator. If you wanted to run something that is not frequency dependent you would be good to go. (Heater with no fan, drills, circular saws, and incandescent lights)

Using all three phases, build a charging system for a bank of 4 deep cycle maintenance-free lead acid batteries.? After all it's going to become 0Hz lol when rectified into d.c. the question remains just how to get there efficiently.

I guess you could say my eyes have been opened up to the appeal of continuing use of 2sc2879 transistors.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
Well if it's just the dc you want take the power before the regulator and after the diode.
Alright I'm off to go read on how battery chargers operate, then I will know what it is I really want! :)
It's going to be quite a while before I abandon the challenge of doing more with less, although this information can be applied in the future. Off to the digital library I go!

Last edited:
I guess you could say my eyes have been opened up to the appeal of continuing use of 2sc2879 transistors.

I have to say I agree.

When comparing transistors without considering the power supply the new stuff is definitely better, but this doesn't seem to tell the whole story. In a mobile 12 volt devices have a big advantage as far as the whole installation is concerned.

Another issue is that many people who want the kind of really big power that would justify the installation issues involved are probably going to want to compete in keydowns, and keydowns have a class system that specifies 2sc2879 transistors.

In the long term these issues will surely be overcome and the higher voltage devices will probably take over with the big boys, but I would still like to see a decent 2879 replacement/alternative to help keep some inexpensive smaller options available as well as to supply repair parts for older equipment.

PS: Parts are out there for a 24 volt system, perhaps a separate 24 volt alternator feeding a motor maul to bump it up to 48v would be something to consider.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Using all three phases, build a charging system for a bank of 4 deep cycle maintenance-free lead acid batteries.? After all it's going to become 0Hz lol when rectified into d.c. the question remains just how to get there efficiently.

Its not unheard of to run AC to the back to a heavy duty rectifier built in a 16 pill case. If your alternator has enough balls don't even bother with batteries. A large cap bank will smooth the ripple and be less maintenance...also allows you to have a much greater voltage range if you run an adjustable regulator.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.