• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain Model 482 Afterburner Plus Linear Amplifier?

I just recently got a Hy-Gain Model 482 Afterburner Plus Linear Amplifier and it does not have the markings for which SO-239 you hook up the antenna too and which SO-239 to hook the radio too. Could someone please help me? Here is the directions and schematics:

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/hygain/graphics/afterburner-plus_482.pdf

According to the directions on cbticks.com it says the transceiver jack on the unit is on the upper right of the rear panel, Is this what I hook to the radio or the antenna? A friend of mine who reads schematics says it looks like to him the upper jack should be hooked to the antenna. Hopefully one of you out there have one of these linears and can verify which SO-239 jack gets the antenna and which one gets the radio. Please help. Does anyone have any history on these units? Date of manufacture ect.

Thanks,

Larry T.

Hi Larry,

If you look at the back of the amp, you should have a decal back there with the serial number on it. On the right hand side of that sticker it shows you where to place the coax for the transceiver and antenna.

The SO-239 on the top is for the transceiver, the one on the bottom is for the antenna. I just looked at mine to make sure. These are nice little amps. I am not sure date of manufacture. You can expect about 70 to 90 watts out of these with good tubes!

Hope that helps a little...

GRUMPY said:
If you look at the back of the amp, On the right hand side of that sticker it shows you where to place the coax for the transceiver and antenna.

Lol, Now I feel like an idiot! I didn't even look at the sticker, I am so used to the SO-239's being marked with a sticker above or below them. :roll:

GRUMPY said:
You can expect about 70 to 90 watts out of these with good tubes!

70 or 90 watts, Is this deadkey or max with swing on AM or SSB? This amp has 2 6JU6 tubes in it, The same two tubes as my friend has in his Kris Boomer that he sees about 250 watts on SSB. I saw the wattage ratings on the instruction booklet on cbtricks.com of 60 watts AM/100% modulation and 100 watts SSB. This just seems under rated for those tubes. It doesn't matter to me either way since I really don't need anymore than that for DX, But I would like to know the real world rating.

One more question,

I have a bunch of radios I can use to drive this amplifier, What is the maximum swing wattage I should allow into this amp? I have a President HR-2510 that has been tuned by Doc's Electronics that I can bring down to a 1 watt dead key and swings as high as 35 watts AM and 45 watts on SSB(Bigger final was added). Would this be safe to use on this amp? I really don't want to ruin this amplifier, It is almost mint condition and I want to enjoy it for years to come.

Thanks for all of your help,

70 to 90 watts was the max I was able to get out of mine. I run mine with my Browning Mark III or IVA, and the radios are set with a dead key of 3 watts swinging to about 10 or so. Myself I would not put much more then that in to it. These numbers are for AM, I never used it on Sideband so I can't help you there!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.