• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain SPT-500 Super Penetrator Question

Unit 194

Feb 25, 2006
New Jersey
Does the new version perform better and is it of higher quality than the original version from the 1970's?

Last edited:

Does the new version perform better and of higher quality than the original version from the 1970's?

BassTracker has a thread here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/157624-new-super-penetrator-500-a.html

You won't find much testing results, but he raves about his SP500 being a lot better than an Imax right after he got it up. A very fimilar report we often hear from most new installs.

There may be other review type reports around, but IMO we don't hear much results testing about the New SP500 model.

If you use the "Search" feature here on WWDX you might find more information.

Does the new version perform better and is it of higher quality than the original version from the 1970's?

no and no

that's not saying it is a "bad" antenna, but, the origionals are hard to beat.

for the price, the SPT500 beats the a99's by a mile

Reactions: 1 person
I'd be very careful with this seller being in the Netherlands. The ad states they may not ship to US and the shipping may be very expensive.

Plus like hoodon6 said, the SP500 only beats the A99 by a mile so just order an A99, you'll never know the difference.

I agree. I'm pretty sure the shipping charges to the US would be very expensive but for our fellow forum members who live in Europe and who may be interested, the price might be more affordable.

I run one of the new sp500's, aluminum quality seems too be like the old one, the plastic crap for the match sucks, the antenna performs quite well, way better than the imax2000.

BassTracker has a thread here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/157624-new-super-penetrator-500-a.html

You won't find much testing results, but he raves about his SP500 being a lot better than an Imax right after he got it up. A very fimilar report we often hear from most new installs.

There may be other review type reports around, but IMO we don't hear much results testing about the New SP500 model.

If you use the "Search" feature here on WWDX you might find more information.

Reactions: 2 people
local here owned the orignal i help setup. worked flawless and was way better
than an a99 . and didnt bleed over tvs or anything.ive only see pic of the new one
but looks like it should perform the same

Reactions: 1 person
local here owned the orignal i help setup. worked flawless and was way better
than an a99 . and didnt bleed over tvs or anything.ive only see pic of the new one
but looks like it should perform the same

One of my locals had the original model up since the late 1970's and it was still working flawlessy after 20 plus years. He eventually got out of the CB hobby in 2002 and he sold the antenna on eBay.

Havent fooled with the new ones, but the old SP Penetrator antennas don't have anything inside them to burn out, meaning all that's inside them is a small stub.....

But have heard good things about the newer SP antennas....some says the gamma match is a little longer than the older ones are...and its a couple inches longer than the old ones too, talking about the center section that is..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated