• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain SPT-500 Super Penetrator Question

Mine is a few years old and just went through a superharsh winter with no problems....so they must be made good.....survive a storm that had winds in excess of a 100mph.

I run one of the new sp500's, aluminum quality seems too be like the old one, the plastic crap for the match sucks, the antenna performs quite well, way better than the imax2000.

AkBowtie, it is interesting to note there are several different and widely varying opinions on the aluminum quality. Among other stories in this regard, one member post there is a notable difference in the specs for the overall weight between the Old model and the New. If this were true, maybe there is a link we can check out to this fact, and that would go a long way in settling that matter if such a link were posted as a reference to such a claim.

Here opinions without explanation or reference are abundant, and I take such with a grain of salt. I consider such claims as simple opinion.

You mention that the plastic crap for the match sucks. Can you describe a little more what that means?

I personally don't think there is enough difference to really matter between most CB 5/8 wave vertical antennas we might talk about here on these forms. Not only have I found in my real world testing that these type antennas are all very similar in performance, I've posted such on YouTube videos.

Also below I post some Eznec model performance results with an overlay of the patterns showing support for what I've reported above in Bold print. I also recapped the results on the bottom of the overlay page.

View attachment 5_8 wave models compared.pdf

According to these models you will note that the SP500 indicates a much better natural match at the feed point. I also find my model for my I-10K (not included) to show about the same results. None of these models have matching devices included, so my best guess as to the differences in results may be due to a slight difference in radiator length and diameters used. In these models I tried to set all dimensions to specs as best I could...excepting I did not use tapper in the elements, and all antennas were at 32' feet above average Earth. I also set all segments counts as close as I could to produce 3" inch segments in all models.

Reactions: 1 person
Marconi,
I am no way near an Antenna Pro like yourself, and I agree unless facts are proven anything on here is just hear say :)

On the other hand, I do have one of the new SP500 from ham radio outlet . com, they were $149 when I bought it and had free shipping.
The aluminum when compared side by side with my AV170 seems to be close in thickness compared to say a newer Starduster which is what ummm...ohh M400, now that is real crap quality, I know because I have one of those too.

The ears on the SP500 are a lot cleaner, meaning less static noise coming into my receiver, transmitting i've never asked if there were a difference.

All of this is just my simple opinion for sure :)

(Oops and I like the fact that the SP500 stands straight and tall in the high winds versus the Imax laying over, seems to affect trans and receive.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I personally don't think there is enough difference to really matter between most CB 5/8 wave vertical antennas we might talk about here on these forms. Not only have I found in my real world testing that these type antennas are all very similar in performance, I've posted such on YouTube videos.

Also below I post some Eznec model performance results with an overlay of the patterns showing support for what I've reported above in Bold print. I also recapped the results on the bottom of the overlay page.

View attachment 12661

According to these models you will note that the SP500 indicates a much better natural match at the feed point. I also find my model for my I-10K (not included) to show about the same results. None of these models have matching devices included, so my best guess as to the differences in results may be due to a slight difference in radiator length and diameters used. In these models I tried to set all dimensions to specs as best I could...excepting I did not use tapper in the elements, and all antennas were at 32' feet above average Earth. I also set all segments counts as close as I could to produce 3" inch segments in all models.

Excellent work. Thanks for the info.

Marconi,
I am no way near an Antenna Pro like yourself, and I agree unless facts are proven anything on here is just hear say :)

On the other hand, I do have one of the new SP500 from ham radio outlet . com, they were $149 when I bought it and had free shipping.
The aluminum when compared side by side with my AV170 seems to be close in thickness compared to say a newer Starduster which is what ummm...ohh M400, now that is real crap quality, I know because I have one of those too.

The ears on the SP500 are a lot cleaner, meaning less static noise coming into my receiver, transmitting i've never asked if there were a difference.

All of this is just my simple opinion for sure :)

(Oops and I like the fact that the SP500 stands straight and tall in the high winds versus the Imax laying over, seems to affect trans and receive.)

AkBowtie, your comments and opinions here are just as important and can be just as interesting and informative for this forum as comments from any other member.

It is easy for us all to just give our opinions on stuff we're discussing, and many members likely wish only to be brief. I often wish to know a little more as to the "why or what" is the basis of ideas, comments, or opinions however. So, I tend to ask questions.

The following example sort of makes my only point in my earlier comments. I asked you this question earlier when I asked; "You mention that the plastic crap for the match sucks. Can you describe a little more what that means?" In this case I am curious and I feel it might be important to a perspective buyer or a new owner of the New SP500 to better understand your concerns.

If you knew about this issue before you bought your antenna would you not buy a new SP500?

Oops sorry I forgot to mention more on the plastic mount for the match. It just seem to be some brittle, cheap quality plastic that cracks easily if your not careful. Would I buy another one knowing the issue, yes and we have for others up here.

AkBowtie, your comments and opinions here are just as important and can be just as interesting and informative for this forum as comments from any other member.

It is easy for us all to just give our opinions on stuff we're discussing, and many members likely wish only to be brief. I often wish to know a little more as to the "why or what" is the basis of ideas, comments, or opinions however. So, I tend to ask questions.

The following example sort of makes my only point in my earlier comments. I asked you this question earlier when I asked; "You mention that the plastic crap for the match sucks. Can you describe a little more what that means?" In this case I am curious and I feel it might be important to a perspective buyer or a new owner of the New SP500 to better understand your concerns.

If you knew about this issue before you bought your antenna would you not buy a new SP500?

The plastic sucks? Mines over 38 years old and the plastic is still good!!

I have several old HyGain mounting brackets from CLR type antennas from years gone by, and all are in good shape too.

I took one bottom insulator off the bracket and in the process of removing the brads I got a couple of little cracks, but the hub looked to still be in tact, and there were no signs of deterioration or weathering inside on the matching device. The SP500 only has a small wire inside as the matching device is mounted external to the hub.

I think there is a lot of stress from the weather on these insulators so I could see where cracks might occur. This might explain a little for why some antenna makers do not use insulators when possible.

Staybolt and AkBowtie do either of you or others on this thread have any local antenna signal reports making comparisons with the SP500 to other antennas you might have up and working at or about the same time. I'm looking to hear how this antenna compares to other CB verticals.

He still has a slew of them for sale. I asked him how much shipping is to Indiana.

Staybolt, I could be wrong, but without some special shipping process...like a manfacture might do to a wholesaler or distributor, I'd guess the cost to ship would be near a $100 us.

Keep us posted.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.