• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

i cant find an elmer, this sucks!

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
im in the process of studying to get my general and im passing the online tests with high scores, so im confident im going to pass in the next couple weeks when i take the test. im gonna keep cramming until the point when i walk in the door. anyway. i cant find an elmer, mentor, coach, ham friend etc in my area and its a real drag. i went to the local ham club and had a nightmare experience like others i have heard. they were all super old dudes and they all were like your not a ham yet? see ya..nobody would talk to me, they ignored me and those who answered my questions were pretty rude. now i dont mind doing this hobby/lifestyle alone, i have for the past 33yrs but it would be nice to have an elmer. even long distance on the phone, email etc, i dont care. what would you guys do? just deal with it? hmmm

If you seek out an Elmer online I'm afraid you'll find a false profit.

My suggestion is to get on the air and have fun. Asking questions about someone's equipment is a good way to learn and makes for a good qso too. You'll meet some smart people that will help you when you need it. You'll also meet some misguided people that are full of bull and try to Elmer everyone.

Try different things and learn as you go. There are a lot of reviews online for any equipment you may be interested in. If you read those pay attention to the more critical reviews. Plenty of people will say something "works great" because they spent money on it and don't know any better.

Reactions: midnight special
The replies above are great. Might as well just start learning. My guess is that you may run into folks that will help you with equipment to keep your equipment right. Heed the warnings. Take the time to figure it out yourself. The people on here are wonderful. I don't think I will ever have their skills but, hope to have the equipment to help out folks that need help. In my area the Elmers have so much work that I wonder when they last saw daylight.

Grdwire: Sorry for your bad experience, but like ANY group...Radio/Hot Rod'ers/Shooter's/RC groups etc. most are Cliquish until they know who they are dealing with!
Now as to Elmer's, many here to help, several threads running now with members helping, soon to be Hams or just new Hams in general.
You must be willing to ask, explain good information about your specific question and present it in a good written format so all understand. Pretty simple.
So with that, many here to help.
The're are some very knowledgeable people here.
Many long term operators with vast experiences all across the many aspects of Amatuer Radio.
All the Best
Gary

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I am an older but recently licenced ham myself. I refuse to let a bad experience keep me from enjoying the hobby. I went to a field day that one local club was participating in. This club had a reputation that was similar to what you describe. There were lots of individuals there doing various field day endeavors and I just refused to let them ignore me. I pulled up a chair and began asking them questions. There was a satellite map up at one table. I asked him to explain to me what I was seeing. Boy howdy was he happy to do it.

I went to another table and he had FT8 up and running. I began to ask him about his experiences with the mode. Just like the other guy I tried to engage them at their level and have them get excited to tell me what they were doing.

Human nature is a funny thing. If you want them to relate to you I have found it will be a fail. If you begin to relate to them and engage with their interests you will always have better success.

I would say I don't have an Elmer but I do have a lot of experience to draw from readily available on the net. This forum has been a treasure trove. Several here have PM you. Take them up on thier offers. Have fun and don't let anything get in your way.

Best of all. In years from now don't be that guy. Extend yourself to the younger ones coming into the hobby. 73.

Now go have some fun and recruit the next person to get his license and have some fun together. Hopefully we will meet up on the air one day.

Alan

KJ7EFC

Alan I agree with your comment about working to relate by asking them questions about their area of interest.

In addition to the previously cited "cliques" that are in ham radio (and most other hobbies). I think that a lot of hams hesitate because of prior experience with new or potential hams. This includes a lot of people that drift in and out of the hobby quickly.

Locally I've seen a lot of people asking for free gear or "donations" just because they are new or interested in radio. After the first few times I heard people either hinting or out right asking for gear I've gotten so I hang back and just listen to new people.

Personally I'm much more inclined to engage and want to help people that have skin in the game. If someone has bought a radio and shown motivation to get past the tech or general then they are obviously motivated.

As 543 said, just get on the air and start making contacts. Be willing to listen to others advice and you'll quickly learn to separate the BS from valid advice and experience.

Check out local clubs web pages for mentions of local nets. Something like a local weekly 10 meter net will let you listen and start to learn the locals that are active.
Even if you are interested in HF and not 2 meter. Pick up an old programmable scanner for $10 or 20 at a garage sale and program the local repeaters. Even if the repeater is pretty quiet a lot of clubs and groups will have some weekly net or roll call.

Last thought is that the Elmer thing runs two directions. If you can step up and help others then you can build up a lot of good will. So if someone is working to put up an antenna it doesn't hurt to volunteer to help. You can get some valuable experience.

Something else to keep in mind is that some radio people are radio people because they don't exactly have good social skills. Kill them with kindness and a lot of them will come around.

I'm not saying you did this but don't be like my friend that used to pick up sweep tubes for cb amps at the hamfest. He would try so hard to convince the seller, that didn't care, they were for legal consumption that it made the whole situation uncomfortable.

Lots of knowledgeable dudes on here. Just ask and you'll receive good advice. There is even a live chat function on this page where you can ask questions or shoot the breeze. Best part, there are no curmudgeons on here. Used to be, but haven't seen him logon for a few years.

Hams are a strange bunch of dudes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated