• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the exception of a very few individuals I think most of us already understand that, that's why a used HF rig usually costs upwards of $400. It just cracks me up how often people use the "same money" argument when comparing used lower end HF gear to new high power exports. If going used you can get a decent export for significantly less cash than an HF rig.

Money isn't everything. If you want quality you have to pay for it and a new high power (100 watt?) export is still of inferior quality to a used lower end HF radio with the same power output.

Here is the way I look at it, I do my research on line. Read the reviews, compare specifications and check repair service reputations. I have bought some excellent radios and got exactly what I wanted.
Also if you don't want any opinions don't ask for them. I have been guilty of trying to guide someone away from buying a limited radio into something more capable for potentially less money, but never gave anybody trouble over their choice.

Last edited:
RPC: Well yes some HF rigs do have a "Monitor" function, which allows you to hear "in real time" your audio in transmit while using headphones. I have found this feature OK as most of these it is not a perfect sample of the transmitted audio, just depends on Mfg.'s sample point location. However it is a good tool. Most of the modern HF transceivers have some form of "EQ" for both transmit and receiver. Some better than others but still usable tools, I prefer the Yaesu versions...Both my FT-950 and my FTdx3000D have (2 independent)/ 3 band EQ's for tailoring the transmit audio. Then also have variable bandwidth adjustments from 1.8 - 4.0 Kc on both transmit and receive in SSB mode.
Other features include "Contour" filter adjustments, which allows you to adjust the receiver's filters and enhance a band of frequencies in the audio range and reject others. This is a big plus for rejecting "white noise" and pulling a certain voice range out of the noise.
I set mine on SSB to enhance the range of 1400 Hz to 2000 Hz...and can adjust that from front panel to "enhance" the received signals voice for a given station. Very handy!
There are several other adjustments that can tailor the receiver's audio also.
Digital noise reduction software built in the Yaesu's of late production is excellent! Far better than any of the ICOM's or Kenwoods, I own or have owned (again MHO) in resent years.
So there are many tools in these new production Amatuer transceivers(all brands) for both transmit and receive that greatly enhance the user's ability to tailor audio response for their personal needs and enjoyment.
All the Best
Gary

Well the box on top is intriguing but I’m sure it causes a bunch of annoyances. The knobs on the radio, I’m just not feeling them.

If you want to make some ham ops roll over and die, take a rig and put those knobs on it, haha. Couldn’t you just see field day?

With the exception of a very few individuals I think most of us already understand that, that's why a used HF rig usually costs upwards of $400. It just cracks me up how often people use the "same money" argument when comparing used lower end HF gear to new high power exports. If going used you can get a decent export for significantly less cash than an HF rig.
In my opinion, buying a used export is a gamble at best. There are very few ham rigs that get butchered, but the inverse is true for exports. Obviously if you can fix a butchered export it would be different, but you also wouldn't be asking basic questions about which export is best.

Considering the odds, a used export is probably slightly less expensive than new.

Why do we call them "exports" when they aren't made here and have to be imported? (yeah , I know the "for export use only" sticker)
Why do we call a clarifier "unlocked" when actually it is locked to the transmit frequency?
Just what is "swing" ? I mean other than music my parents listened to.

Peak Watts
RMS Watts.
DC Watts
Average Watts
Magical pixi dust Watts
Just what is the difference? No I am not confused. You may be.

VSWR=resonance , resonance happens only at 1:1 VSWR
Antenna has to be a flat match. (mine's horizontal, does that count?

Some of this crap would make me crazy but I already am....

Why do we call them "exports" when they aren't made here and have to be imported? (yeah , I know the "for export use only" sticker)
Why do we call a clarifier "unlocked" when actually it is locked to the transmit frequency?

Peak Watts
RMS Watts.
DC Watts
Average Watts
Magical pixi dust Watts

If you could just harness your thoughts amazing things might happen.

Peak Watts
RMS Watts.
DC Watts
Average Watts
Magical pixi dust Watts

You forgot Ghost Watts! Your radio is not tuned unless you have at least 50% of your power going out in Harmonics.

You forgot Ghost Watts! Your radio is not tuned unless you have at least 50% of your power going out in Harmonics.

But if I kill some Pixies, then I’ll have magical ghost pixie dust watts. That’s twice the power right there and not much work involved, just catch the pixies and then chop off their heads like you do chickens and drain out the pixie dust.

You have to sprinkle pixie dust. Don’t work no other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.