• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I finally ordered the new tower today.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I finally pulled the trigger after almost two years of wishing and waiting. Over the last two years I have been acquiring all other items to rebuild my HF antenna system and was waiting for the day I could get a new tower. I have already purchased a new Hygain Explorer-14 with the 40m add-on kit, an Ameritron RCS-8 remote coaxial switch, Yaesu 2800 rotator and am working on converting my old busted Cushcraft A3 to a dual band yagi for 12 and 17m. Earlier today I was talking to Harold Macfarlane at Macfarlane's Electronics in Battersea Ontario and and placed an order for a 64 foot Trylon Titan T500 series tower. It is 64 feet high and is 42 inches at the base and 18 inches at the top. It will handle 52 sq. ft of windloading in a 75 mph wind so there is plenty of headroom left after I install the basic antenna which includes the above as well as a six element yagi for 6m. It should be here in about a week or so. (y) Now I need to dig a hole 5 1/2 feet square and 7 1/2 deep for the base. :censored: Let the fun begin!

Sweet deal CK.

Tower/Antenna is 100% straight forward and not all that difficult but what comes with it is.

With all that said can you help others with your small struggles what you needed to do to get to get to this point?

Sure you though of of this but here it gos.

Neighbors good people?

Neighbors Not going to cry that there house value will decline?

Will it be next to the house?

Will it be on the same side of the house the wind blows?

Building Permit required?
When Permit is needed Take photographs of the process they will be needed.
City zoning or building and safety office?

5 1/2 X 7 1/2 Deep is awesome and not overkill in My book and I can Dig it =) but why?

Do you need to call in the Gas Co. Ect?

Cure time for 5 1/2 X 7 1/2 hole will be 28 Days depending on how much heat it lets out and how much hosing is done the 3-4 of the first days after install.

Just many people to get that thing up there =) ?

Congrats Dude have a blast =) and share the pictures.

5.5 x 5.5 x 7.5 = 226.875 sq. ft

looking forward to comments and pics of your project :D

Sounds great CK.

Hopefully your soil up there is not like this Georgia clay here.

My other residence in FL I can dig a hole in that sand no problem.

When I put up 60' of tower here I was over three hours with a pick axe and shovel digging the hole.

Afterwards my friend stopped by and told me they usually use a jackhammer to dig any depth in this GA clay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated