• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Got My New MFJ-259b

Marconi, I may have some photos of the test in the Main Mode. I'll check.

The unit comes on in the main mode every time. The Gate and Mode buttons must be depressed together to get into the advance Mode.

For now, the rectangular 12'x 6' (approx) attic loop.

Loop>300 Ohm twin lead>4:1 homespun Balun>75 Ohm 1/4^ x VL coax choke>50 Ohm coax>TXMTR

I cut it and put it together with my SWR meter only for 27.385 center frequency.

Results on 259b:

Main Mode -

loop035.jpg

Advance Mode -

loop036.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Marconi, I may have some photos of the test in the Main Mode. I'll check.

The unit comes on in the main mode every time. The Gate and Mode buttons must be depressed together to get into the advance Mode.

For now, the rectangular 12'x 6' (approx) attic loop.

Loop>300 Ohm twin lead>4:1 homespun Balun>75 Ohm 1/4^ x VL coax choke>50 Ohm coax>TXMTR

I cut it and put it together with my SWR meter only for 27.385 center frequency.

Results on 259b:

Main Mode -

loop035.jpg

Advance Mode -

loop036.jpg

Seeing is believing. I really get it now. No need for the other images. That is remarkable. I wonder why MFJ even bothers to make their dipping coil attachment for the 259B, when it will do what I see here.

Good work Homer, two antennas tested so far and a dead-nuts-on match with both, and I guess you're taking these readings through your feed line to boot. Forget the MFJ warning about feed line transformation, as long as your match is that good, you won't have any feed line issues to worry about.

This makes me feel bad about my work and my antennas. If you have looked at any of my Antenna Work sheets showing the bandwidth, you'll see I don't have one antenna that is this perfect in both match and resonance, with both values at the same frequency. Even the GainMaster, which is preset and not tunable, shows its match with some reactance. I know my meter is not perfect as well, so maybe it is time for a new meter.

Don't tell your wife, but with these kind of results...you don't really need an analyzer.

Glad you got the analyzer.

As DOC said it will cause you many hours of frustrations, but it will also be the most useful antenna building tool you own.

Have fun building and keep posting those pictures.

Good work Homer, two antennas tested so far and a dead-nuts-on match with both, and I guess you're taking these readings through your feed line to boot. Forget the MFJ warning about feed line transformation, as long as your match is that good, you won't have any feed line issues to worry about.

This makes me feel bad about my work and my antennas. If you have looked at any of my Antenna Work sheets showing the bandwidth, you'll see I don't have one antenna that is this perfect in both match and resonance, with both values at the same frequency.

Before the celebration starts, let me add this. I put it briefly on the AP, too. No photo yet, but resonance and match was around 28.380 somewhere. I'll take photos later when I have time. For it I used a 14' coax feed line derived from 1/4^ x VL (RG8U = .78).
I also put it on the Homebrew Sigma IV, which is a mess by comparison to the others. I forget what it was, but it clearly will be a challenge to put right if I bother. I know it did not have resonance and match together, but it was closer when I replaced the Gamma with one with a longer tube than what I had. Should I continue to experiment with it I may have to go to a larger diameter Gamma to see if I can get better results. I'm not sure if that's the ticket, or just mechanical flaws. In the dark on that one.

For it, I used a 2' and a 6' coax, but will have to try again with the 1/4^ coax.

As for the other two the mobile and the loop I used the feedlines because the loop was dependent on the setup for match using the twin lead, and the mobile is pucked into the vehicle roof with the line running though the body and roof. As I recall, the length may be very close to 1/4^ anyhow.

Complex impedance adds up on a Vector, not straight addition.
(an A2 + B2 = C2 type thing)

Hope that makes sense as I woke up with a terrable head-ache
this morning..No more cigarettes for me...hi..

I've got the 269 here, and paid quite a bit for it..(It has UHF), but
on UHF readings, it does not do complex-analysis. It does everything
a good SWR meter will do...hi..Should have read up on that first.

On HF and VHF the meter works wonders though!

Congrats on your purchase!! The hardest learning curve in owning
one of these meters is saying..."No I just don't lend out my equipment,
but I would be glad to come over and check out your antenna"

LOL

73, Keith

I have not advertised the presence of my new meter locally as I am not wanting to say no. I will, however, if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up on the vector/sigma. It lays behind the shed waiting for me to regain the courage to attack it. Last time it threw me down, and pinned until I wept uncle like a baby. The analyzer helped it to turn on me with beastly fervor.

Reactions: 2 people
I have not advertised the presence of my new meter locally as I am not wanting to say no. I will, however, if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up on the vector/sigma. It lays behind the shed waiting for me to regain the courage to attack it. Last time it threw me down, and pinned until I wept uncle like a baby. The analyzer helped it to turn on me with beastly fervor.

I never battle them alone,Always call on the mother-ship for help.

Send me you coordinates, and I will give them a heads-up.

Shhhhh...they are here NOW

Complex impedance adds up on a Vector, not straight addition.
(an A2 + B2 = C2 type thing)

Hope that makes sense as I woke up with a terrable head-ache
this morning..No more cigarettes for me...hi..

I've got the 269 here, and paid quite a bit for it..(It has UHF), but
on UHF readings, it does not do complex-analysis. It does everything
a good SWR meter will do...hi..Should have read up on that first.

On HF and VHF the meter works wonders though!

Congrats on your purchase!! The hardest learning curve in owning
one of these meters is saying..."No I just don't lend out my equipment,
but I would be glad to come over and check out your antenna"

LOL

73, Keith

Hey Ahamoperator, I'll leave it to Homer to ask you what the 269 doesn't do vs. what his 259B should be doing, but my question is as follows.

I thought both meters had advanced features that dealt with the complex impedance of a load, and the 269 was the same as the 259B, except it went above 30 mhz.

The 269 does everything the 259B does from 1.8 - 170mhz. It also has
a button that takes you to a UHF range (415 -470mhz).

It does all the complex analysis stuff from 1.8 - 170. But when you switch
to UHF (for instance the 70cm band) those features are defeated except the
SWR function. Still a lot easier for checking antennas than keying up a UHF
rig with an SWR meter. Not very good for designing antennas/matches at
the UHF freqs.

Go to MFJ's site and they hint at this, or download the manual it is explained
there...Yeah, I didn't realize that when I bought it. Still a good piece of kit..

73, Keith

I have had the 269 for several years now and would never be without one. It may not be lab quality but it more than fits my wants and needs. I can'timagine trying to make phasing lines and stubs without it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.