• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Got My New MFJ-259b

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I got this in last night, and have had too little time to fool with it. However, in spite of having other things on the agenda for the day I put it on my mobile antenna/coax setup just to see what was up with it beyond the story the SWR meter tells. The antenna is the Radio Shack bottom load I modified by putting it up on the antenna extension turning it into a center load. Here are some results across the CB band on the 259:

0011.jpg
0018.jpg
0019.jpg

0015.jpg
0014.jpg

0020.jpg

Now the learning curve figuring out what everything is all about and how to use it effectively.

That's gonna be such fun! Get used top saying, 1."Now wait a @#$ minute!", and, 2."Huh?". And just when you think you got it... go back to #1. :)
- 'Doc

If you invent some new "@#$%" words, I wanna hear them!

Reactions: 2 people
Would it do any good to use one of these on the radio end
of my coax just to see where I'm at, or would this give false
readings.
I just did the standard swr meter thing on the P500 before I
put it up!

That's gonna be such fun! Get used top saying, 1."Now wait a @#$ minute!", and, 2."Huh?". And just when you think you got it... go back to #1. :)
- 'Doc

If you invent some new "@#$%" words, I wanna hear them!

LMFAO :LOL::LOL::LOL:

you know i wanna see what it says about your vector (y)
congrats on the sweet new toy :D

Homer, assuming you're in the basic mode, why is the impedance meter showing such a low impedance. I think that value in the main mode is supposed to be the combined R & X values, the complex impedance, or said another way the value of Z for your load. Looks like the impedance meter is hooked into the SWR bridge circuit by mistake.

If you have a good dummy load, I would test that with the the 259B connected directly or with a very short jumper, and see if the impedance meter is working.

Have fun and keep us posted as you go.

Last edited:
Homer, assuming you're in the basic mode, why is the impedance meter showing such a low impedance. I think that value in the main mode is supposed to be the combined R & X values, the complex impedance, or said another way the value of Z for your load. Looks like the impedance meter is hooked into the SWR bridge circuit by mistake.

If you have a good dummy load, I would test that with the the 259B connected directly or with a very short jumper, and see if the impedance meter is working.

Have fun and keep us posted as you go.

Advance Mode:

The Resonance Mode primarily draws attention to reactance, displaying reactance on the IMPEDANCE meter.
In this mode, the MFJ-259B measures frequency, SWR, resistance (R= ), and reactance (X= ). When reactance is
zero, the system is said to be resonant.

I can measure the antenna in the Main Mode, and the impedance meter will track with the impedance figure, however, in the Advanced Mode, the meter displays reactance in stead of impedance, and they are together in that case.

Main Mode:

The main or opening mode opening menu displays frequency, SWR, resistance, and reactance on the LCD,
along with SWR and IMPEDANCE on the analog meters

Reactions: 2 people
Advance Mode:

The Resonance Mode primarily draws attention to reactance, displaying reactance on the IMPEDANCE meter.
In this mode, the MFJ-259B measures frequency, SWR, resistance (R= ), and reactance (X= ). When reactance is
zero, the system is said to be resonant.

I can measure the antenna in the Main Mode, and the impedance meter will track with the impedance figure, however, in the Advanced Mode, the meter displays reactance in stead of impedance, and they are together in that case.

Main Mode:

The main or opening mode opening menu displays frequency, SWR, resistance, and reactance on the LCD,
along with SWR and IMPEDANCE on the analog meters

OK, I understand now that you were in the advanced mode 5.6 in the manual, Resonance Mode. You were way ahead of me then.

I understand better now, and it's a good lesson to have learn about the operations of the MFJ. I sure wouldn't have learned that from the average guy without a 100 questions trying to get to the bottom of that issue. Most would just get mad before anything valuable was learned. Thanks.

Frankly, I would guess that most users seldom if ever get off into the advanced mode's right away. The idea I come away with from most users is; they generally use the 259B in the Main Mode...as an SWR meter almost exclusively, because understanding the nuances of all the operations and results are not easy.

Now regarding your results. I have a few base antennas that can maintain a good resistive result over a broad range of maybe two megs, which is 5x the width of the CB band, but I don't have one that will show the same reactance, showing X=0 or close as resonance, from channel 1 to 40.

What if you scanned the same antenna in the Main Mode, the power up mode 3.2 I think, like you did in the first Advanced Mode, "Impedance," and posted those results? I would like to see how the impedance meter works at that setting.

Do you have to turn the meter off to get out of the Advanced Modes, or does it just toggle back to the Main Mode after #5 choice?

BTW, I got to thinking about your last statement above and I think the Main Mode 3.3, Impedance meter should show you the complex impedance or Z value, instead of just impedance as we think about it. See here: View attachment MFJ 259B pp #7.pdf I'm just not sure if the Main Mode is the same as the power up mode or comes up after the mode switch is depressed the first time and then the 1st mode choice then follows with the second depression of the mode switch.

The reason I think you see the numbers tracking so well on your antenna is because the it shows a very good match, with 50 ohms for R and 0 or close for X, with SWR 1.0. If you had any workable mismatch like R=38 ohms X=-9 for example, the digital view would show R=38, but the analog could possibly show close to 50<> ohms in some combinations. I think this is likely to be what happens when you are looking at the complex impedance value of any mismatch which is probably more common. Also read the caution note below the 5.6 about feed line transformation affects when using a feed line for a working line or for tuning.

Last edited:
With the MFJ-259B, you can take a gamma match and a metal shopping cart and turn it into an antenna. Well; maybe. But at least you can get it close.

:D

Congrats - Homer!

Hey Robb, I hear something similar said from time to time, but I'm not too sure that is true. You might be able to get it to respond as resonant, but I doubt the match would be worth a hoot. Just my opinion.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.