• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think I'm ready

Codejockey

KF5CKB
Jul 21, 2009
www.armedtexan.com
I've now taken over 50 practice tests from each of the following sources (which I got from ARRL.org).

AA9PW
QRZ
e-Ham
kb0mga

I have scored between 95 and 100 on almost all of them, I haven't failed a single one. I've done it so much that I've begun to memorize the questions, so I see little point in continuing. In addition, I've downloaded an entire Technician's class Podcast and listened to it twice, and I've read 3 different study guides on the subject. Bottom line, I feel confident I can pretty much pass the test. Should I go ahead and take it, or should I wait for an in-person class?

Absolutely. I tell people to go take the test if they are getting 80+ consistently. You should be fine

You may want to run through General pool a few times before you go. Taking another test is free so it's always worth a go.

You're ready...no need to drag out the studying any longer than necessary. Start taking the General practice tests, too...you might be surprised on how many you can already get correct.

At the testing site after you have turned in your Tech test, the VEC's will ask you if you want to take the General Exam while they grade the tests. You may end up getting your General license if you are doing well of the Tech exam. Study for that if you have a week to go before the test.

It is always a good thing to re-take the test exams before you go in. The qrz practice tests are set up so that if you take the first 11 tests and pass them all; then you have basically covered ALL of the possible questions that may be on the test. I got a 100% on my Tech exam and a 97% on my General by studying the first 11 tests and knowing the material within them.

you might find that you over studied but you will pass with no problems, I only studied the general for 4 days and took the test and passed using the online test method. I plan to do the same for extra, read through the questions and answers and take practice exams.

Welcome to ham radio and 73's

I checked QRZ and it says I am technician, I check FCC ULS system and it shows my General allready. Don't know what the time for QRZ to sync with ULS but might what to look agian.

QRZ polls the ULS, usually nightly. Might have to wait a few moments. Doesn't matter what QRZ says, FCC/ULS is the authority. Commence to transmitting!

Rob

congrats....with a question....

congrats on your ticket. I do have a question though. Are the answers in a different order on the actual test than they were on the online practice exams? It has been a while since I took my Tech and I am studied up and "ready" for my general but I can remember if they are in the same order or not. Hopefully it wont make that much of a difference. I am also toying with studying up on the extra and taking that at the same time. Will have to see what I can pull off in the next couple of weeks before I go take the general.
congrats again!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.