• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I thought about it, but...

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
Hope this isn't taken as trolling, but of all I like about ham radio the thing I totally dislike is the over complicated operation of ham radios.
I hate programming them. After I get Chirp to do that, I hate the round the world effort to simply get the radio to scan the memory channels.
I haven't attempted digital modes, yet. Why? I can only imagine it will be more of the same. Too much messing around with too much stuff.
Even the much maligned little Baofeng HT gets it.
Program easily with Chirp. Press button for memory channels mode. Hold down mic key that has scan on it. Done.
I just want to have fun. I don't want another career path.
Why can't I model the antennas I love to build? Because the modeling program is not wysiwyg. It should be. Isn't this the 21st century? I can't stop my life to take up cryptology, so I imagine I'll never learn to model.
What do I like? One word - easy. That's what I like.

prolinear_VENTANDCOVER-bar-grille__31857.1553127340.png

(y)

There's always Off/ON - Volume - Squelch, Maybe an ANL, Even NB.

However - RF Gain is a luxury...

Variety, We Have It! When it comes to the Channel Selector - we have 40 to choose from - Welcome to CB.

IT doesn't HAVE get too complicated...

You've already figured out the antenna part using Roof Beam ties - now that's complicated...:)

We'll now, Andy, that's the thing. I did CB so long...

I still have 4 CB radios. Only like one of them.

I like my HF radio, too. I only use the same knobs and buttons I used on the CB radios. Even that is unnecessarily complicated. Seems Amateur radios hide the simplest features under strange names and under layers of odd functions. I have to keep Sherlock Holmes on retainer just to read the front of my radio. . . kinda sorta.

I actually think the more recent rigs are very easy to program. I'm interested in trying digital stuff, but get frustrated trying to get settings fixed. It's just stupid to have to fight getting everything to play together.

I don't know if it's a lack of standards or cross platform stuff. I just don't know. Why the hell can't they just make it simpler? I messed around with Fusion for a bit. I constantly had trouble with ports settings. I got rid of all that crud. Piss on it.

My 7610 decodes RTTY and PSK. Hell, nobody seems to use it. The software interface for most digital modes are clumsy, to me. I think most of the code is written by tight assed hams on their old Tandy computers. From what my limited understanding of FT8 comprises, I don't think much of it and doubt it's for me.

Guess I'll just stick with CW as my "digital" experience. I could see ICOM having CW Decode in the 7610, but only PSK and RTTY is plain lame.

I'm to old to study anything. I want instant gratification. I have no interest in learning a new mode, only to have some geek say his new mode is better, then have to learn it.

I have become a Curmudgeon.

Wow...never realized I'd be seeing a little of myself in all of this too.

@HomerBB - I wasn't trying to intentionally be irritating, but too _ I do sympathize, and also apologize for possibly being a little condescending in some interpretations - but then too - understanding the concepts of Wide FM versus Narrow FM or similar with AM and SSB - the sadness comes from the older days of Analog - we use Analog/linear (READ Voice) every day, it is our method to communicate.

To some - in the later generations after us, this effect seems to have gotten lost in the translation. the Digital means to say hello, may be thrill for some, but to others - it's already been done. Why keep adding more straw to that Camel - we are already approaching a tipping point.

I'll shut up now...

Reactions: Rwb
I don't do digital anything, I spend all day dealing with computers, hardware, software, and top of it all..end users. I turn on the radio, the tubes warm up and I am happy, hell the digital display is all most to bright. There is no computer in the shack and never will be.
Beginning to make sense.
My wife asked me yesterday why I was talking sharp to her. I sharply told her I wasn't talking sharp to her and tried to explain how lousy Chirp was on a Windows system so much so I couldn't get it to program my old IC-746. She told me she didn't know what I was talking about and do something else.
So, I did. I dug out my old slow Linux laptop and it worked easily. Then I tried to get the Icom to scan the memory channels and it wants me to do this and do that and blah blah blah.
How stupid. Lord have mercy...!
What's so hard about toggle the V/M button, push the scan function and done!? Nothing, but then it wouldn't be an Amateur radio...

An analogy is likely a better way to view it.

Imagine if one had to program a refrigerator/freezer from start. No thermostat, so to speak. Read-only. Take the moments to consider operating conditions, both interior & exterior. Doors open & close, etc. And the interplay. To have fairly-constant controlled conditions isn’t just on/off of the compressor-cycle and heating elements.

The control system to a refrigerated trailer is complex. Bye-bye frozen food section at the grocery and much else without VERY precise controls. IOW, many offerings for sale are a function of those controls.

Do this exercise instead with a house or office building if that seems better. (Find a better analogy altogether.)

This isn’t best example, as food or pharmaceutical physical/chemical-state preservation (or human comfort) isn’t the same format as radio comms even though the result of proper manipulation results in “communication received”.

It’d be complicated, and kinda stupid.

The point is to get the human out-of-the-equation in order to operate well.

The point at which to inject human control is what’s the irritation, as said transceiver is burdened by an overlay of functions to accommodate speech or single-band monitoring.

Human-necessary controls are complicated and kinda stupid.

Radio was an interesting Twen Cen hobby by amateurs until Electric Intelligence took its rightful place.

Time is Money.
Money is Energy.
Profit, is Efficiency.

Radio is a efficient communications node between participating intelligences capable of full-spectrum use/allocations changing moment-by-moment.

Human use is beside the point, rather like a racing contest with lawnmowers.

“How’s that capitalism thing treatin’ ya, huh?”

In all this, with what is Electronics manufacturing concerned? Aimed? Pointed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and HomerBB
So, Slow, it could be the electronics are smart and I am dumb...
Yet, my Daddy taught me that true intelligence was represented in efficiency. Never take any more steps than absolutely required to achieve a result.
I trust my Daddy, Lord rest his soul...
I'm almost over it. It's simple now. I'll just go mow the grass. Let me see... Uncover the mower, check the oil, fill with fuel, start the mower, cut the grass. Now do I need to set the upper and lower mowing parameters, how about doodly doo and doodly day, and don't forget the hoopity hoop and hoopity hop...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.