• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I thought about it, but...

I hated driving big trucks with screamin jimmys in em.only way to get along with 1 ,slam your hand in the door.
Now i got this pair of yaesu ftm 7250 dr radios n programmung them i decided was like drivin a jimmy slam hand in door first.
I picked up an old vintage 2 meter radio and its pure bliss to turn it in n dial channels twust squelch n set volume

That's what I'm talking about.
kinda thought so.
My radioshack htx 212 and tempo vhf 1 plus are simple and i get many reports they sound much better over the airways than those new yeasus

Reactions: HomerBB
Vhf/uhf sucks all around. There are a couple of people I talk to on 2m simplex but stay on HF 99% of the time. I don't have a lot in common with people that use walkie talkies and repeaters.

Reactions: NZ8N
I guess I just don't understand. The majority of the activity on those bands requires that a radio be programmed or you learn to navigate the menus. HF doesn't require it. Spin the VFO to desired freq, press the mode button and done.

Programming the 2m/440 rigs was easy enough. I made a digi interface with a $10 Ebay kit and stuff from the junk box. So easy a dumb millennial like me can do it. ;)

I don't like all the programming on any rig. It was the comparison between the newer radios and a legacy model to which Rwb was referring.
Chirp on Linux helps me with that, but if it isn't supported I just don't program it.
That said, even my old IC-746 is not straight forward enough for my taste, so, like you, I just use it like a CB. But, when I want more than that it should be just that simple, but isn't.

Reactions: Slowmover
I guess I just don't understand. The majority of the activity on those bands requires that a radio be programmed or you learn to navigate the menus. HF doesn't require it. Spin the VFO to desired freq, press the mode button and done.

Programming the 2m/440 rigs was easy enough. I made a digi interface with a $10 Ebay kit and stuff from the junk box. So easy a dumb millennial like me can do it. ;)
if id known id need a damm computer to program a radio,those 2 yaesus would still be at the dealers.i dont own a computer just a tablet n it wont run that chirp crap. And to get a decent manual you must download it,more bullcrap,too cheep to put the whole manual in the box = cheep junk. In 5 months ive had mic trouble with 1 and internal trouble with other 1

So, Slow, it could be the electronics are smart and I am dumb...
Yet, my Daddy taught me that true intelligence was represented in efficiency. Never take any more steps than absolutely required to achieve a result.
I trust my Daddy, Lord rest his soul...
I'm almost over it. It's simple now. I'll just go mow the grass. Let me see... Uncover the mower, check the oil, fill with fuel, start the mower, cut the grass. Now do I need to set the upper and lower mowing parameters, how about doodly doo and doodly day, and don't forget the hoopity hoop and hoopity hop...

Electronics aren’t smart. And they aren’t being built for us. For people.

A radio is just a computer sub-command. A computer is the user.

Is the point.

Recreational Use isn’t a priority. It’s real close to Unauthorized Access.

In lieu of WiFi your refrigerator or toilet unlock for use only after a VHF/UHF set of communications.

It’s fo de chillens. Dey safety.

Be’s you one a dem?

“Smart Home”? Alexa? WiFi?

Best you start with a toss of The Silent King. He’s always had final say in your house. On or Off. From the center of the living room.

And consider re-running household electrical in EMT.

You need Licensure or Authorization it’s already over at your place.

How’s that mask fitting, eh?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.