• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom releases the new IC-7610 at the Tokyo HAM Fair

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!
On August 20th Icom released the new IC-7610 HF and six meters transceiver. It is slated to replace the IC-7600 and incorporates features of the IC-7300 in a rig the size of the 7600. As with the IC-7300 it is a DDC/DUC transceiver with dual VFOs also has dedicated receive antenna inputs for both uses two BNC connectors on back for this. Featuring a larger display and is a touch screen as with the 7300, the display appears to be independent of each other with A/B speaker output jacks.
Touted to have more memory and a faster digital FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array). An external display can be added with video out jack on the rig. Price on this should be around 3500 to 3800 dollars. US sale date should be at the next Dayton HAMvention or there abouts. Price should be around 3500 to 3800 dollars US.
Here is a short video....

73 Rod KB8DNS

Reactions: 2RT307 and 222DBFL

Sweet looking radio man!!
My only complaint would be not having VHF/UHF, but then again, look at the price. I suppose if they kept the price under $3000 is dollars, (more toward the $2500 area LOL), they should sell pretty well. Hopefully they have tried to resolve some of the issues that were present on the IC7300 as posted by Moleculo and others. Not that the the 7300 is a bad radio in the price range it sits. For the couple of bad things there are, you still can't get all the features that radio has for the same price from a different manufacturer right now can you?? I don't think you can. And with that said, I think the 7610 should do well. You can get a pretty nice 2m/70cm mobile radio for VHF/UHF use. JMHO. I and not saying I would not have liked to have seen these other modes on the 7610. But they have to cut the cost somewhere. I'm sure radios that are in the same class as the new IC7610 are a lot more money. And yes maybe they are a bit better. Won't know until some good reviews of them is done. I'm sure the 1st batch will be the beta tester ones. But you can only hope they worked out the issues by looking into the IC7300. Anyways. Thanks for the short preview.

I was anticipating a larger version of the 7300. This I believe is the wave a of the future and soon more manufacturers will convert their existing models to SDR direct sampling. Every 7300 I heard so far sounds good even out of the box.

I like the idea of a real time waterfall display compared to the tired old band scopes of yesterday.

Like most products now days, I wouldn't rush out and buy one for at least a year. It seems the public has to endure the beta testing then come the bug fixes.

This is one I will be looking hard at…

Reactions: 222DBFL
I also watched some of the other vids...
Kenwood same OLD stuff...the worn out TS-2000...new Handheld...big deal!
Was interested in if Yaesu would replace the FT-5000...guess not....
BUT a new updated version of the FT-991...the FT-991A and the intro to the FT-891...wish that had VHF/UHF reminds me of the FT100D witch liked, but no luck there.
We will see what the market brings come Dayton Hamfest time
All the Best
Gary

It's very cool to see that Icom is moving quickly to bring out a big brother to the IC7300. With the IC-7600 having a street price around $3000 I wouldn't expect the new whiz bang 7610 to debut at a lower price. What will be interesting is when IC7300 sales slow down to see if Icom will start knocking $100 to $200 off for promotions.

I would really like to see the 7610 have a good transverter interface similar to the Elecraft K2 with split in and out.

With all the improvements and advances in SDR, I think we're in for a revolution in transceivers over the next several years.

Brett

Converting the Euro $ pricing on the IC-7610...that would place the USD at(about) $3799.oo
Still not sold on this touch screen durability...I guess others are not either as now you can purchase "screen protectors" and rubber tipped wands to use them...(for the 7300)
Not my thing for a radio in my shack!
All the Best
Gary

Converting the Euro $ pricing on the IC-7610...that would place the USD at(about) $3799.oo
Still not sold on this touch screen durability...I guess others are not either as now you can purchase "screen protectors" and rubber tipped wands to use them...(for the 7300)
Not my thing for a radio in my shack!
All the Best
Gary

I'm with you on that. I'm currently using a panadapter with my FTdx-3000, and love having the ability to click on a signal with it. Not having to mess with a touch screen on the rig is nice. Not sure if the new Icom has the ability to go out to a touch screen tablet, or just a video monitor.

Brett

Yes it does have an external monitor jack. So one can be added. Read post #1. Made by mechanic. Tells a bit about the radio as well. Will just have to wait to see. As far as the touch screen goes, don't see an issue with it. They are so popular these days that most can use them much easier then a regular keypad. As for longevity, add a screen protector to it and it should hold up fine. That would be one of my lesser worries as Icom has had a few touch screen radios out and most likely have worked the bugs out. JMHO.
We will all have our opinions about these new radios. I am just glad someone has finally taken a step forward in making them and adding some nice features. Now if only the others would follow suit with some new stuff and not just rebranded or added stuff to the same ol radios, like posted above as well.
Like said too, we will just have to wait and see what comes out in the near future. If anything maybe this will help kick start some of the others to get their butts in gear and get some new stuff out. Hopefully!!

As far as the touch screen goes, don't see an issue with it. They are so popular these days that most can use them much easier then a regular keypad.

I agree with 222DBFL that I'm not concerned with a touch screen. The Android and iPhones and iPads have demonstrated that touch screens are a mature technology.
However for a radio on the desk at home I'm not as interested interacting with the radio by touch screen. I prefer a larger front panel and more physical controls. The ability to hook the 7610 to an external monitor for a large display and see the various settings would be great.

My primary rig for almost two years was an Icom 756 pro 2 and I really liked it. So this new radio is intriguing. Did you notice in the picture that the 7610 has two distinct volume and squelch controls marked Main and Sub? That illustrates a jump from the 7600.

$3000 for a radio is decent pile of change. But just like when the TS-590 and the IC-7300 were introduced it helps all of us. It drives the companies to compete and make better radios.

Also even if we can't afford to buy when one when its first introduced it increases the quality of the used radios that will be available. In other words the TS-590SG has already drove the used prices of the TS-590 down - so that is a win for anyone looking to buy a used radio. So if I can't afford an IC-7610 it will certainly help push the price down on IC-7600's or IC-756 pro 3 and make them more affordable.

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
I agree with 222DBFL that I'm not concerned with a touch screen. The Android and iPhones and iPads have demonstrated that touch screens are a mature technology.
However for a radio on the desk at home I'm not as interested interacting with the radio by touch screen. I prefer a larger front panel and more physical controls. The ability to hook the 7610 to an external monitor for a large display and see the various settings would be great.

My primary rig for almost two years was an Icom 756 pro 2 and I really liked it. So this new radio is intriguing. Did you notice in the picture that the 7610 has two distinct volume and squelch controls marked Main and Sub? That illustrates a jump from the 7600.

$3000 for a radio is decent pile of change. But just like when the TS-590 and the IC-7300 were introduced it helps all of us. It drives the companies to compete and make better radios.

Also even if we can't afford to buy when one when its first introduced it increases the quality of the used radios that will be available. In other words the TS-590SG has already drove the used prices of the TS-590 down - so that is a win for anyone looking to buy a used radio. So if I can't afford an IC-7610 it will certainly help push the price down on IC-7600's or IC-756 pro 3 and make them more affordable.

My point is that I don't just want to see things on the big screen if I still have to pinch a small screen to get where I want to be. Like you, I appreciate a larger rig with knobs. Also, I'm not aware of any tablets that have an HDMI in, and most touch screen monitors are extremely pricey. Even then, I don't believe that you can use a stretch/pinch function on a monitor, since the 7300/7610 is just a mirror out for the display. Why Icom doesn't include an RX and/or IF out on these rigs is beyond me (especially at this price point). Cheap SDR's used as panadapters can make your radio experience a lot of fun and extremely flexible for dx'ing (or casual use), and you can do that easily with the Kenwood TS-590, Yaesu FTdx-1200 and 3000. And without having to tap the IF.

I"m excited to see the direction the hobby is going with Icom stepping into the SDR arena... this is the future, and SDR and related software are already making huge gains in technology/price.

Brett

Reactions: 222DBFL
My point is that I don't just want to see things on the big screen if I still have to pinch a small screen to get where I want to be. Like you, I appreciate a larger rig with knobs. ........ Why Icom doesn't include an RX and/or IF out on these rigs is beyond me (especially at this price point). tt

Brett I think we are in agreement on most of the points. I 100% agree that radios in this price point should now include a RX and IF out as well as good transverter interface. I believe they are a fairly low cost thing for the manufacture to include.

An external touch screen to me would be annoying to use with the ergonomics of having to reach up to make changes. I have a pair of 24" monitors right above my main HF radio. They are easy to see but I can't imagine reaching up to them during a contest.

I think that the next few years will see next generation radios from the Japanese big 3 that will provide some cool options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
It's very cool to see that Icom is moving quickly to bring out a big brother to the IC7300. With the IC-7600 having a street price around $3000 I wouldn't expect the new whiz bang 7610 to debut at a lower price. What will be interesting is when IC7300 sales slow down to see if Icom will start knocking $100 to $200 off for promotions.

I would really like to see the 7610 have a good transverter interface similar to the Elecraft K2 with split in and out.

It's got a sweet transverter interface.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.