• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Id like some help looking for a pair of 2 meter 70 cm radios,pre heavy menu driven

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
When my bad ftm 7250 yanksu returns from yaesu both are going bye bye. The first 1 was uhh ok second 1 a pos from day 1.
Im wanting a simpler pair of dual band radios but NO DAMM YAESU .no better than they did with my radio enough is enough
But id seriously like recomendations both must be decent mobiles and 40-55 watts output.
And reply dont pass over.
If anybody is interested in both yaesus rt system n extra mics and couple new mic cords hit me up. Both were new in november and december 2019 ,look new all factory accessorys and boxes.
Like i said the 1 is in yaesu shop right now,im just seeing if anybody is interested.
20191129_125554.jpg
20191129_130331.jpg

34 views in less than 12 hours you good ol buddy hams are proving what i thought not 1 reply

34 views in less than 12 hours you good ol buddy hams are proving what i thought not 1 reply

So everybody that looked at it was a ham were they? You must be able to see more about the users here that I can. I just see numbers of users that saw it and not who they were and what their call signs were. :rolleyes::whistle: Having said that I will say that I have been very pleased with my Kenwood TM-V71A. I do not use it very much to be honest but despite the unholy amount of features it has it is fairly easy to understand after you get used to it for a bit. Most features I will never use however but I REALLY like the dual receiver in it. It has very broad receive coverage too with coverage from 118-524 MHz and 800-MHz - 1.3 GHz. It will default to AM mode on the civil aviation band as well as in the 200 and 300 MHz military aviation bands. Plenty to listen too and 200 memories to program. If you are looking for something without a lot of menus you will be looking at something nearing the end of it's service life in all probability.

So everybody that looked at it was a ham were they? You must be able to see more about the users here that I can. I just see numbers of users that saw it and not who they were and what their call signs were. :rolleyes::whistle: Having said that I will say that I have been very pleased with my Kenwood TM-V71A. I do not use it very much to be honest but despite the unholy amount of features it has it is fairly easy to understand after you get used to it for a bit. Most features I will never use however but I REALLY like the dual receiver in it. It has very broad receive coverage too with coverage from 118-524 MHz and 800-MHz - 1.3 GHz. It will default to AM mode on the civil aviation band as well as in the 200 and 300 MHz military aviation bands. Plenty to listen too and 200 memories to program. If you are looking for something without a lot of menus you will be looking at something nearing the end of it's service life in all probability.
i kinda was leaning towards kenwood, used their buisness band radios in a bed truck in oil field,the company had many brands,most were at radio shop for repairs. About 6 kenwood units in use 1 broke not bad considering all the others.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
i kinda was leaning towards kenwood, used their buisness band radios in a bed truck in oil field,the company had many brands,most were at radio shop for repairs. About 6 kenwood units in use 1 broke not bad considering all the others.

Like I said pretty much everything now is menu driven. I hate it but it does allow a multitude of features in a small package. Most people never use all of them anyway. I almost bought the Kenwood TM-D71A but couldn't justify the extra cost for some more features like APRS that I would never use. Pretty decent rig however and Ilove the GPS feature and the display options.

Reactions: Rwb
Just about EVERYTHING in my shack is Yaesu produced. I have had very little issues with any of them. My FT-950 is going on 17 years old, never been to shop still functions 100%. Still a daily driver on HF.
However, for the Non-Menu wanting operators, CK, is right looking for equipment in the range of 20+++ years ago for what you think is simplicity in operation, one must realize that if the unit fails in any way the possibility of getting repaired are slim to none. (most of the BIG 3 purge parts to aftermarket suppliers generally 2 years out of production) and will then refuse to provide factory service on them)
Most manufacturers whether cars, trucks, TVs, computers, etc. after about 7 years finding NEW factory-made parts are quite rare most certainly on the electronics side of the business.
Then there is the performance issue, like anything else technology changes and that normally means improvement, so using equipment that old will have some issues where you must consider what you are giving up in order to get the ergonomics you think or desire is better.
Not that older equipment will not work, it certainly can.
I'll give example, I have a 35+ -year-old Kenwood TS-130SE with all the options, yes still a working radio, but when it comes to egonomics everything has a knob or switch. ( I also have 1 complete donor radio and buy parts when I can find them...
I have mainboards, 4 VFO assemblies, plus extra switches, finals, etc.)
However, performance-wise my FT-950 kicks it's a$$ all over the bench.
Likewise, my 7-year-old Yaesu FTdx3000D beats my 950 (though not by much) bells/whistles mostly.:LOL:
So just be prepared when looking for that old of equipment that suits your ergonomics needs, the trick is to buy 2 working models because eventually, you're going to need a "donor" radio which will be used mostly for parts to fix the other.
Finding additional optional accessories almost impossible without paying a premium price, generally more than they cost new.
My 2 cents for what's it worth.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Dmans and Rwb
Just about EVERYTHING in my shack is Yaesu produced. I have had very little issues with any of them. My FT-950 is going on 17 years old, never been to shop still functions 100%. Still a daily driver on HF.
However, for the Non-Menu wanting operators, CK, is right looking for equipment in the range of 20+++ years ago for what you think is simplicity in operation, one must realize that if the unit fails in any way the possibility of getting repaired are slim to none. (most of the BIG 3 purge parts to aftermarket suppliers generally 2 years out of production) and will then refuse to provide factory service on them)
Most manufacturers whether cars, trucks, TVs, computers, etc. after about 7 years finding NEW factory-made parts are quite rare most certainly on the electronics side of the business.
Then there is the performance issue, like anything else technology changes and that normally means improvement, so using equipment that old will have some issues where you must consider what you are giving up in order to get the ergonomics you think or desire is better.
Not that older equipment will not work, it certainly can.
I'll give example, I have a 35+ -year-old Kenwood TS-130SE with all the options, yes still a working radio, but when it comes to egonomics everything has a knob or switch. ( I also have 1 complete donor radio and buy parts when I can find them...
I have mainboards, 4 VFO assemblies, plus extra switches, finals, etc.)
However, performance-wise my FT-950 kicks it's a$$ all over the bench.
Likewise, my 7-year-old Yaesu FTdx3000D beats my 950 (though not by much) bells/whistles mostly.:LOL:
So just be prepared when looking for that old of equipment that suits your ergonomics needs, the trick is to buy 2 working models because eventually, you're going to need a "donor" radio which will be used mostly for parts to fix the other.
Finding additional optional accessories almost impossible without paying a premium price, generally more than they cost new.
My 2 cents for what's it worth.
All the Best
Gary
had they made that bad radio good when it went in first time id have a better opinion, but they acted like so its new dont work we dont care.
I got an old radioshack htx 212 that everybody says sounds great. Some menu items but does have squelch knob.
My first time before i let license expire a goodd friend bought it new.was the thing then. He died n his widow gave it to me. I used it couple years,license expired n it set 18 years then i got my license n put it back to work. Too bad they werent dual band.
I got 1 more yaesu a ft 480 r n it neeeds aligned.
Heck i got a baofeng gt3 and it developed a propblem,sent it back .they sent me a new radio,even installed everything i had in old radio. Thats service

I have a TM-281 2 metre. Been very happy with it. My next radio will be a V71 or a D710 depending if I want APRS or not.
Yaesu menus drive me crazy as well. I have a FT3DR that may appear in the for sale section soon.

BTW, I like Yaesu stuff. Once you master the menu, they're all the same. I suppose, ICOM and Kenwood are my favorite's. Basically, I like just about anything. I don't recall ever sending any Yaesu out for service.

Sorry. I use my VHF/UHF rigs to sit my beer on. Too many goobers on those frequencies around here.

For what it's worth I found the yaesu 7800 had better audio quality than the Kenmore TMV71A with the stock mic. I put a Shure SV100 on the Kenmore.

Here is my feelings about it. YAESU = "Yet Another Excuse Simply Useless".That pretty much says it all & it's why I spend my money of ICOM gear & Never waste my money on a Yaesu & the only Yaesu I own is a G-800SDX Rotor & it has served me well for a very long time.If all I had was a Yaesu radio I would just not talk at all.My VHF/UHF for my shack is an ICOM 2820H with a D-STAR board.Is that the reply you wanted? LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: binrat and Rwb
Definitely not a fan of any menu driven transceiver. Probably a mental block on my part. I have to get my neighbors 7 year old to make changes to my "smart phone" when needed. Just easier that way!

On a positive note, I find a certain bit of satisfaction in repairing/restoring older equipment and keeping such on the air (Got a TS-520SE needing attention right now-next in line). Leaves little room for "radioing" but keeps me busy, I learn lots of things I didn't know and I stay somewhat involved in the hobby. I do monitor several frequencies all at once while I am "piddling" and sometimes key the mike when a conversation interests me!(y)

So, step out there and embrace the menu driven technology or stick with the technology that you like!

David

Reactions: binrat and Rwb
Definitely not a fan of any menu driven transceiver. Probably a mental block on my part. I have to get my neighbors 7 year old to make changes to my "smart phone" when needed. Just easier that way!

On a positive note, I find a certain bit of satisfaction in repairing/restoring older equipment and keeping such on the air (Got a TS-520SE needing attention right now-next in line). Leaves little room for "radioing" but keeps me busy, I learn lots of things I didn't know and I stay somewhat involved in the hobby. I do monitor several frequencies all at once while I am "piddling" and sometimes key the mike when a conversation interests me!(y)

So, step out there and embrace the menu driven technology or stick with the technology that you like!

David
yes but at the moment im stuck with a 6 month old radio that dont work but yaesu says its ok.think its time to go to the dumpster with that radio
I mainly want a simple dual band no menu radio for my pickup with a squelch knob

Reactions: binrat and Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.