• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If your 128 pill amp isn't enough........

Puts 48kW amp in car, gets effective radiated signal no better than a couple of kilowatts does due to the fact the car is a crap ground plane to start with.

Someone commented that commercial AM stations are limited to a couple of kilowatts more. If you look at the antenna ground system AM stations use, there's a whole lot more metal involved than is in the body of a car.

I would pay to see someone use one with a magmount. It'd be hilarious.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Puts 48kW amp in car, gets effective radiated signal no better than a couple of kilowatts does due to the fact the car is a crap ground plane to start with.

Someone commented that commercial AM stations are limited to a couple of kilowatts more. If you look at the antenna ground system AM stations use, there's a whole lot more metal involved than is in the body of a car.

LOL yeah they don't see the 120 radials each a minimum of 1/4 wavelength long under that AM tower nor do they see the results of the soil analysis revealing the conductivity of it. As for a magmount with even a few Kw.....well blistered paint and smoke is usually the result.

that's why I drag chains from the frame to the pavement.
I know it works, I can see the sparks in my rear view meter shooting out from under the car.

Lol I had sparks coming off the safety cross chains going to my trailer and I didn't even have a radio installed in my truck. They were dragging on the pavement until I shortened them.

A vehicle set up to run something like this would likely be set up with multiple element array. A driven element and reflector on the cab and directors mounted on some sort of extension off the front. Not the typical drive around town rig. I'll bet 48kW has been in a mobile but they aren't using 2879s to get there.

I believe this amp is just a poker bluff. "builder x can't get a 16 pill dei box to work...look at what we can do". I know there have been some 100+ transistors amps ran in the DC Sky class but this is ridiculous. I think it would be one big expensive smoke bomb. I can't see xforce ever attempting to build one of these but if they did would it even fit in a suburban? Ten 48 pills with combiners, drivers, alternators, batteries and anything else you can think of. Think of the amp draw of the drivers alone.

Reactions: Crusher
I call bravo sierra. Not happening today. Seen a 96 pill 15 years ago, but it's too many $$ today. Retarted money for what? Still would get your a$$ handed to you by an ac box.
My old 32 pill pulled 800amps+ amps in normal operation at 17 volts. Over 1k in blowup keydown mode...not enough alts or battery or brain cells.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
He might as well have said it's a 1500 pill box because it will never materialize or get built. The days where 100 plus 2879's had a market are long since past. Economics and no reliability whatsoever from the DEI part when pushed make this amp a very stupid choice. Besides people are exceeding these output levels with about half of the dissipation using tubes. They take the abuse a lot better than the fusible link inside a DEI. The guys who run this type of mobile setup never call X-Force, they call Blue Gill and go AC.

I call bravo sierra. Not happening today. Seen a 96 pill 15 years ago, but it's too many $$ today. Retarted money for what? Still would get your a$$ handed to you by an ac box.
My old 32 pill pulled 800amps+ amps in normal operation at 17 volts. Over 1k in blowup keydown mode...not enough alts or battery or brain cells.

800 amp draw from a 32 pill amp? Your ammeter must have been made by Dosy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.