• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

illegal base station

megatron

Aug 18, 2008
Cincinnati
i stopped off at R&L electrinoics in hamilton ohio.. asked if they sell base stations they said no because it's illegal
and the FCC would fine out, i was told to use my mobile as a base station

There are ham radios that have built in power supplies and all you do is plug the power cord into the wall....my radio is like that,and you can order ham radios that are plug into wall and turn them on no outboard power supply needed

I get the feeling that they might have misunderstood what you were asking or you might have not made yourself clear as to what you were wanting

But for the most part ham radios are 12 volt

All radios deal in low voltages since transistors were invented and prior to that all radios used tubes or valves which were fed with very high voltages and very few of those were used as mobile rigs so they were commonly referred to as (Base Stations).

There are a few newer radios out there which are primarily base station radios but still have the capability of being used as mobiles but in today's definition of a base radio is any radio that has a self contained power supply unit and many of these are simply mobile radios stuffed in a cabinet with said power supply.

Were you looking for a CB base station? Some people won't sell Ham equipment to unlicensed persons. If they were illegal they would only be manufactured as export radios. I know for a fact at least two companies in this country (USA) are manufacturing base stations for the US market. I purchased a eleven meter Galaxy 2547 base station recently. Had no problems.

there's currently 3 legal CB base stations being made and sold for use in the USA .

once you get them tuned (doing more than 4 watts am or 12 watts ssb) they are no longer legal . uncle charlie doesn't bother a end user that isnt being an ass hole or splattering/bleeding on folks and being a problem . base radios are basically a mobile chassis in a bigger box with a power supply built in and a different control layout .

All you have to do is actually look at the board inside most base radios and they actually still have the board mounted within a mobile style chassis or frame inside that big case ;)

if they can't understand i wanted to buy a base station they need to go out of business

R&L doesn't cater to the average CB'er, per se. They handle the type accepted radios, Cobra, Midland, Uniden. Having dealt with R&L more times than I care to count, I assure you that any misunderstood communication is on your end. :unsure: FWIW.

i stopped into R&L electronics in hamiton ohio.. i asked if they sold base stations they said no, and older man said it's illegal he said i'd have to turn my mobile into one

Did anyone think to ask the morons at R&L to show them WHERE the FCC said it was illegal? Did anyone ask WHY or WHEN it became illegal? There is talk about making directional antennas illegal on CB but nothing about making base stations illegal.

Did anyone think to ask the morons at R&L to show them WHERE the FCC said it was illegal? Did anyone ask WHY or WHEN it became illegal? There is talk about making directional antennas illegal on CB but nothing about making base stations illegal.

I'm having a hard time believing they ever claimed base stations were illegal in the first place.

Has to be some confusion involved.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.