• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 only 7' off ground??

If it’s the same as the imax 2000, it looks like 10 inches.
View attachment 24625

Thanks just got 3 self tapping screws in where the mast meets up.. 1 will be for ground wire maybe.. I dunno..I could always ground at the base too the same way..

I ordered the Channel Master 4" wall mounts for upto 1 1/2" pipe.. figure one at say 3' from the ground and another at 9' up.. about 1' from the roof edge.. that will give me about 2.5' on the wall to help keep giggle and flexing down.. I may add another kit after to do every 2' or so.. $15 per kit can't say no really to prevent tip overs..

That 10" spacing will put my base of the antenna at like 16' 8".. which is better than the 7' I was going to do..

A-99 on way.. brand new and was just $71 and free shipping.. used Zoro and signed up for email special first.. saved 15%. Took about 10 mins to wait for the code after confirming my email address.. (y)

They had the Imax for $131 and free shipping too.. would have been $111 shipped.. in case anyone wants one..

Got all the coax, connectors, and mounting brackets in to put up the poles.

Reactions: 357magnum
A-99 on way.. brand new and was just $71 and free shipping.. used Zoro and signed up for email special first.. saved 15%. Took about 10 mins to wait for the code after confirming my email address.. (y)

They had the Imax for $131 and free shipping too.. would have been $111 shipped.. in case anyone wants one..

Got all the coax, connectors, and mounting brackets in to put up the poles.

After being harassed by a fellow ham and CB guy.. I cancelled the A99 and ordered the Imax.. was $118 after tax and free shipping.. direct drop ship from mfg.. Zoro gave me the 15% off after I cancelled the A99 order.

I'll just cut the mast height down after arrival of the antenna and see how high I can get it..

The A99 would have been 34' at the tip and 7' above the roof and 17' above the ground it self..

The Imax may only get 2' above the roof and 12' above the ground.. it would be approx 36' to the tip..

Stay tuned..

After being harassed by a fellow ham and CB guy.. I cancelled the A99 and ordered the Imax.. was $118 after tax and free shipping.. direct drop ship from mfg.. Zoro gave me the 15% off after I cancelled the A99 order.

I'll just cut the mast height down after arrival of the antenna and see how high I can get it..

The A99 would have been 34' at the tip and 7' above the roof and 17' above the ground it self..

The Imax may only get 2' above the roof and 12' above the ground.. it would be approx 36' to the tip..

Stay tuned..

Some guys on this forum did some antenna testing a few years ago. Different length antennas were very close in performance when they were at the same tip height. You might have been better off with the a99 if you're planning to mount the imax 5 feet lower. Either one will get you on the air.

Reactions: The DB
Some guys on this forum did some antenna testing a few years ago. Different length antennas were very close in performance when they were at the same tip height. You might have been better off with the a99 if you're planning to mount the imax 5 feet lower. Either one will get you on the air.

He was swearing the Imax is a better deal.. and all the 5/8 wave antenna in the past some were only 10' off the ground..

I run an Imax too. This is my second. Hurricane Sandy snapped my first one.

Also had an A99. In my experience the Imax performs a little better but the A99 is a little stronger in high winds.

Reactions: CB590 and 357magnum
I love my A-99 but wait for it .... It has unscrewed ( twice) because of the wind direction I get most of the year . I don't think it will do it again I used Loctite to help the lock washer . As Ripley's Says " Believe it or not " !:) But I need an Imax ! So I can compare owning A-99's for 20 years .

I share Dallas' concern about the height above the roof. Am guessing it's a metal roof. Seems 2' is awfully close and could awaken the dreaded SWR gremlin. I say this because my thin aluminum rain gutter wreaked havoc when my antenna was that close. An extra 3' of height cured the problem.

He was swearing the Imax is a better deal.. and all the 5/8 wave antenna in the past some were only 10' off the ground..

If you didn't intended to shorten the mast I would say the imax should perform better than the a99. Maximum current (radiation) will be about 1/4 wave down from the tip. If the a99 and imax are mounted at the same tip height the current maxima is going to be the same height above the earth.

If you didn't intended to shorten the mast I would say the imax should perform better than the a99. Maximum current (radiation) will be about 1/4 wave down from the tip. If the a99 and imax are mounted at the same tip height the current maxima is going to be the same height above the earth.

Since my HOA is an antenna free zone.. the A99 being shorter by 7' seemed better idea over the Imax hh ence the extra 7' of mast.. 34' to tip of the A99 seemed reasonable.. and there is a branch that reaches over my way which the Imax may cause an issue with winds with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?