• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is a transmitter audio equalizer needed

Jim1428

Feb 13, 2017
What does the group think about using an external audio equalizer vs an internal one on the radios
that have them, is one really necessary? I am using a FTDX3000 with a Heil PR781 microphone, I
use the built in equalizer and most people say the audio is better with the equalizer enabled.

Is an 8 band equalizer such as the W2IHY device better than the 3 band parametric equalizer in
the FTDX3000?

Necessary? No. Helpful? Perhaps. It depends what you want to accomplish but generally an EQ will be helpful. You can tailor it to complement your natural voice for best quality be that regular DX punching communications quality or needle bending armchair copy rag chewing.

Reactions: Slowmover
Necessary? No. Helpful? Perhaps. It depends what you want to accomplish but generally an EQ will be helpful. You can tailor it to complement your natural voice for best quality be that regular DX punching communications quality or needle bending armchair copy rag chewing.
What would you say the best way to set the audio is? I have tried using internet sdr's,
and a 2nd receiver with headphones and a recording from the 2nd receiver?

That depends on how big of a short coming you are trying to hide. If you sound like Minnie Mouse on helium it won't help. You would need a voice changer for that.
If I sounded like Minnie Mouse I would be in big trouble.:D

What would you say the best way to set the audio is? I have tried using internet sdr's,
and a 2nd receiver with headphones and a recording from the 2nd receiver?

Whatever you do do not rely on what someone else says unless they know your voice in person. Far too many people have no clue what good audio sounds like and I have heard some say something sound GREAT with lots of punch when all I could hear was fuzziness from distortion and buckshot up and down the band from splatter. Personally I like a second receiver either with GOOD headphones or a recording with the recording likely the better method. We never sound to ourselves like we do to others due to resonances within the bones of the skull and listening to audio playback eliminates that difference.

My set-up exactly...But overall sound depends on your settings. The 3000 actually has 2 EQ's built in...one is with Mic EQ other is PROC Eq turn on...independent settings
Have you noticed any difference in the settings between the two?

Whatever you do do not rely on what someone else says unless they know your voice in person. Far too many people have no clue what good audio sounds like and I have heard some say something sound GREAT with lots of punch when all I could hear was fuzziness from distortion and buckshot up and down the band from splatter. Personally I like a second receiver either with GOOD headphones or a recording with the recording likely the better method. We never sound to ourselves like we do to others due to resonances within the bones of the skull and listening to audio playback eliminates that difference.
Thanks for the help.

I believe a second station monitor radio with headphones and the antenna disconnected is a must for any station. If your audio equipment has a 180 degree phase shift switch, it helps you to hear what you really sound like because it keeps what you are hearing through the headphones from cancelling out what you are hearing through your skull. The monitor also helps to set the mic level at its maximum without sounding crunchy.

Reactions: Slowmover
I believe a second station monitor radio with headphones and the antenna disconnected is a must for any station. If your audio equipment has a 180 degree phase shift switch, it helps you to hear what you really sound like because it keeps what you are hearing through the headphones from cancelling out what you are hearing through your skull. The monitor also helps to set the mic level at its maximum without sounding crunchy.
Thanks for the tips.

Excerpt from site...
A Final Thought
In the big scope of things, find what works for you! Not every processor will work for your particular application. By all means experiment and find what works and what doesn't. You will eventually find the best processing for your needs. The above paragraphs are only suggestions based on my experiences and not anything that should be considered as bible.

Although I may be in over my head in this matter of Hi-Fi interfacing - the above quote can apply to ANYONE that wants to try Hi-Fi...

Although there are drawbacks - remember the most important part...

You may be able to broadcast with fidelity...

But that does you no good if your audience can't hear, or understand you.

Monitor your station at all times ,if you climb onto the mike or start going too far in volume or bandwidth, you're audience will know, and may not stick around for you to fix it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated