• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this a "Clean" amplifier?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I wanted some opinions on this amplifier. What can I expect as far as it having a clean signal? I know it mostly depends on what is driving it...

T23

Attachments

• dx94hp_rf_amp_sch.pdf
    304.4 KB · Views: 66

Robb there all going to Mosfets. I see regular standard amplifiers are also starting to do this or experimenting with it.

Yep, just looked at the schematics for the radio and the PA sections. This radio uses two IRF-520's to drive four IRF-520's in the PA. The alignment specs say 100 watt output/SSB and 35 watts AM/carrier (think I would adjust the AM carrier to 25w though - to keep the IRF's running cooler and cleaner). Since it is a 10m radio; it also has to be type accepted - which it is. So I would say; yes - it is a clean amp. But this will depend upon mic modulation levels. Of course, more than 100% modulation/100% ALC is going to mess up the TX purity. So will driving the amp more than 100 watts . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I had a 94 for a few years. Good radio, just did a conversion and increased the mod alittle and it was solid 90ish watts. That extra 10 watts is not going to make a difference besides more heat from the PA section.

Reactions: 1 person
I wanted some opinions on this amplifier. What can I expect as far as it having a clean signal? I know it mostly depends on what is driving it...

T23

My first thought is your question is flawed, the galaxy DX94 is a Radio not an Amplifier. It is one of the higher powered Export radio's Galaxy makes. You have no control over what's "driving" it other then when the tech converts and tunes the radio.

I don't think type acceptance is required for amateur radio transceivers. It is for 11-meter/CB though.

73, Bert

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My poor choice of the term; sorry. What my point is, is that this radio has current FCC approval for 10m use. So, it would have to have already passed spectral purity testing. Better?

Last edited:
This amp should run clean when properly driven because it has both bias for linear operation and low pass harmonic filtering on the output. It has four MOSFET's with a 60 watt dissipation. Best IMD results are usually obtained when the transistor is operated around half its maximum dissipation. So figure 120 watts PEP tops and I would run even less because I doubt the published specs are for 27 MHz. use. These transistors are cheap because they are switching transistors made for power supplies. They just happen to work here and may be stressed as a result of the higher frequency and linear operation rather then switch mode. Check for heat, if you can't hold the heatsink when talking, you're over dissipating.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.