• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It doesn't allways take a whole lot of power!

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I was on 38 lsb for a while on Sat and Sun this weekend. I am up early and listening to the skip and also late Sunday afternoon. A lot of good sounding stations fron Canada Chiago and Florida etc. Most sounding real good. I was olny running 50 to 70 watts topps and got a lot of good reports. I also had three stations said I sounded good fron Ontario Canada (from New Jersey) and I looked and didn't have the box on. Low power 2 watts :oops: Lots of nice stations with good ears I might add.

When conditions are right and the frequency is quiet, you can talk a long way on just a little power.

I pulled down my little JC Penny 23 Channel mobile the other day and hooked it up just for fun... was having a nice little barefoot chat with a guy on 19- then he tells me he's in Florida. I'm in Arizona.

It's nice when it happens.

Shoot, I conditions here were rough getting out today, no heat, no contact lol. Been hearing a bunch, but gotta turn on the heat to get a call back, lotta big stations out there today as well!!

Reactions: 1 person
Band is still full of surprises even when conditions aren't the best.Was having a chat with a local on 32 lsb running 12 watts and a 5/8 on Saturday when a station broke in, He was in Vancouver And I' m in Brisbane. Also worked France long path this morning But that was with 4 elements and some power.

My first ever skip contact was done with a Radio Shack TRC-47 on SSB from my house. I had a 5/8 wave RS antenna mounted on my house that had a tin roof. Early morning noise levels were low and talked to two operators. One in Alabama and the other in Florida.
Absolutely bare foot radio.

Circa 1970 a $ 29 TRC -9 3 ch Realistic , $ $15 1/4 wave ground plane $15 power supply I talked to SC on ch 6 I been hooked ever since . The bad thing was changing crystals when I got bored with the channels that I was using ! lol<More audio>

I couldn't agree with you more! I run a lincoln on 10 meter stock wattage
have know problem making contacts, they'll tell me my signal isn't very good
but my audio is....running a imaxx 2000 about 54 FT....

I am always making contacts on low power......I'm using my General Radiotelephone Super MC-11 A i got it set to key 2 watts and swing to 10 watts and I make contacts all the time......and get good reports on the quality of the audio.....being on a beam 70ft helps too.......the MC-11 uses those short fat compactron tubes and it has great audio. :)

Your right W9 , I still have a set of big 5 watt RS walkie talkies that have crystals set up that way . Thanks for the memories an the reminder now I have to dig them out an play with them . They actually use to work well using the RS amplified mic .:D

I used to routinely work into Europe with 1 watt pep on SSB and get good reports doing it. One watt is only 3 S-units or so down from 100 watts and if a 100 watt signal is S-9 or better than your 1 watt signal will be at least S-7. Great fun at 1 watt and if it gets rough bump it up another 20 dB to 100 watts.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.