• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I've worked the world on 100 watts (or less)!!!!

GnG8d

Jun 28, 2010
Ohio
How many times have you read that comment? :bdh:

When new guys buy a 40 channel AM/SSB radio with a good antenna setup and has trouble making contacts, the first thing they are told is to "keep trying, I've worked the world on 100w or less". But what these people are comparing is a 12w ssb CB radio to a 100w ssb amateur transceiver which is an apples to oranges comparison. I would imagine that it frustrates and confuses the new CB user and isn't helping anybody when they are told this.

First off, the power difference is 9dB/1.5 S-units and the edge goes to the amateur transceiver. So guys making this comment need to limit their 10m activity to 12w ssb or less to be fair.

Secondly, a CB radio has what amounts to 5 ssb channels with what +/-2.5kc of slide? While a 10 meter ssb transceiver could theoretically be said to have 280 channels using the same +/-2.5kc as a baseline. So again, these guys should limit themselves to the 5 most popular 10m ssb frequencies and +/- 2.5kc of slide as a limit, again to be fair.

After all, what we really want is to compare apples to apples ....... right? If you want to give the new guy advice you have to be honest, and saying that he should be able to "work the world" on his Cobra148 and Wilson5000 isn't being honest in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 people

How many times have you read that comment? :bdh:

When new guys buy a 40 channel AM/SSB radio with a good antenna setup and has trouble making contacts, the first thing they are told is to "keep trying, I've worked the world on 100w or less". But what these people are comparing is a 12w ssb CB radio to a 100w ssb amateur transceiver which is an apples to oranges comparison. I would imagine that it frustrates and confuses the new CB user and isn't helping anybody when they are told this.

First off, the power difference is 9dB/1.5 S-units and the edge goes to the amateur transceiver. So guys making this comment need to limit their 10m activity to 12w ssb or less to be fair.

Secondly, a CB radio has what amounts to 5 ssb channels with what +/-2.5kc of slide? While a 10 meter ssb transceiver could theoretically be said to have 280 channels using the same +/-2.5kc as a baseline. So again, these guys should limit themselves to the 5 most popular 10m ssb frequencies and +/- 2.5kc of slide as a limit, again to be fair.

After all, what we really want is to compare apples to apples ....... right? If you want to give the new guy advice you have to be honest, and saying that he should be able to "work the world" on his Cobra148 and Wilson5000 isn't being honest in my opinion.

Excellent observation!

Sorry but you're talking rubbish. There is no apples and oranges comparison. Radio is radio and it doesn't care if its amateur or CB, the same principles apply. You mention the 1.5 S point advantage but if I'm getting 5/7 reports working China longpath from the UK with 100W then that would still be 5/5 with 10W. Given I've done 7500 miles with ONE WATT what is the excuse for not being able to make it outside of the USA at the peak of a solar cycle with 10? And lets be honest here, how many CBers interested in DXing are running 10W especially on this forum?

5 channels on SSB? Where are those radios? Last time I looked it was 40 but then again, still irrelevant as long as you've someone to contact at the other end.

You're just trying to excuse those not prepared to put the effort into their antennas. I spent a day doing my mobile HF antenna install. What did you do, throw a magmount on the roof, check the SWR was low and call it done?

Last edited:
If I'm getting 5/7 reports working China longpath from the UK with 100W then that would still be 5/5 with 10W.
And on a crowded "channel" where guys are hitting China at 5/9, you won't be heard.

Given I've done 7500 miles with ONE WATT what is the excuse for not being able to make it across the USA with 10?
Because you aren't paying attention to what I'm saying.

And lets be honest here, how many CBers interested in DXing are running 10W especially on this forum?
That's my point. Every time someone shows up here with a stock CB radio asking about amps, they are told "you don't need an amp, I've worked the world on 1 watt".

5 channels on SSB? Where are those radios? Last time I looked it was 40 but then again, still irrelevant as long as you've someone to contact at the other end.
I never hear ssb traffic below ch36. That leaves 36(1), 37(2), 38(3), 39(4) and 40(5) ....... yep, that's 5!

You're just trying to excuse those not prepared to put the effort into their antennas.
I'm not excusing anybody. But there is no sense in making a new ssb radio user to think that he or his equipment is inferior when your comparisons aren't on the same playing field.

Reactions: 4 people
... what these people are comparing is a 12w ssb CB radio to a 100w ssb amateur transceiver...guys making this comment need to limit their 10m activity to 12w ssb or less to be fair... So again, these guys should limit themselves to the 5 most popular 10m ssb frequencies and +/- 2.5kc of slide as a limit, again to be fair....

Gee I dunno 'bout that.

just this morning, from Tn,on 10 meters, I worked CT1JTQ, 4X4TAU, LZ1OI, HB9JOI, and more,........

never changed freq once and,.............

wait for it,............ I was running 500 Mw (1/2 watt) pep.

Reactions: 1 person
Gee I dunno 'bout that.

just this morning, from Tn,on 10 meters, I worked CT1JTQ, 4X4TAU, LZ1OI, HB9JOI, and more,........

That doesn't mean a thing to me until you do it on 27.385lsb ........... and you know you can't. So explain to me WHY you can't.

Watts are watts, right? Antennas used on the 2 bands are largely the same, right? The frequencies are a little different, slightly favoring 11m I'd say. So what's the difference? I'm open to suggestions if it's not just simple frequency congestion.

If "learned" dxing....
Using only 4 watt FM and 40 channels.
I managed to "get" about 60 different DXCC's.
Including many outside the continent.
And that was very very difficult.

These days i use a who lot more.
And yes....it is so much easier....

The downside beeing, it is not half the fun.
One call and your done (again)

The qso's you remember are those who have amazed you.
Thats the fun of the hobby !

Though the knowledge gained by beeing a small gun...
calling at the right time...beeing active at the right time...using the right antenna
Are priceless (in aspect to dxing).

so, yes it can be done....
however....it is not easy for a beginner..and ill be the first to confirm that.

But a beginner in my eyes is adviced to be a relative small gun.
you need to learn ....lissen before calling ....learn and a book full of those kind of rules.
And nobody said that road is easy.

In my eyes a "great dxer" / BIGGUN can only be cause he knows what it is beeing a smallgun.

Kind regards,

H.

Reactions: 3 people
Well said Henry. That would go a lot farther and be far more helpful to a beginner than most of the responses that they generally receive.

Gee I dunno 'bout that.

no need to apologize,....... I'll be honest with you, if you want to work DX,.......

then study a little and get at least a TECH license, there is plenty of DX even in the 10 TECH phone band.<More audio>

So you're basically reaffirming my OP, thank you.

First of all I've never personally told a CB'er to keep trying for DX with a 5 watt AM/12 watt ssb CB radio . I would say that to new hams who think they need 500-1000 watts off the line to make a contact.

Who's giving out this bogus advice anyway???

I can only assume this is a result of this thread.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/165754-requirements-dx.html

First off nobody expects someone to "work the world" with strictly legal gear when all they ask is to work some DX. DX can be a couple states away. While barefoot on the regular 40 is a challenge it can be done fairly often on SSB. AM is a different issue altogether. I used to do it all the time years ago. Power output hasn't changes nor has antenna efficiency and there are actually LESS stations on the regular 40 now then back then meaning less competition.I used to talk to Ontario, New England, and even Europe occasionally using strictly legal gear. Impossible?? Certainly NOT. Easy? Equally NOT. When first into CB I talked all over Europe with 12 watts and a R/S 5/8 groundplane on the regular 23 channels. Talk about QRM there. :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.