• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I've worked the world on 100 watts (or less)!!!!

So you're basically reaffirming my OP, thank you.

not at all, how is working Europe with 1/2 watt pep agreeing with anything you said about "apples & oranges" (12 watts Vs 100 watts) ?

I'm really saying that if YOU need an amp to work DX , then you don't have a clue.;)

Reactions: 1 person
not at all, how is working Europe with 1/2 watt pep agreeing with anything you said about "apples & oranges" (12 watts Vs 100 watts) ?

I'm really saying that if YOU need an amp to work DX , then you don't have a clue.;)
Now you're back pedaling, you most certainly agreed with me and I appreciate it :D

actually, after reviewing most of your past posts,......... It seems that all you really want to do is whine, snivel, argue and insult people.
You just don't know me, I'm different in person and taken out of context frequently I believe.

But look, this isn't even about me, I tried ssb once (okay maybe twice) and didn't like it. So if you want to call me a whiner I'm okay with it (y)

I understand both sides here.

Hams use that phrase to let new people know that it's not necessary to run high wattage to shoot DX. And they are correct. As a former Extra class operator, I have worked worldwide on several bands with only QRP output (<5W), so it can be done. But as a CB operator, I can tell you it's easier to work the ham bands at low output than on CB, simply because you have all the CB'ers crammed on one small portion of the band. If a person gets into the "freeband" area of 11M, it does get easier to work DX with low output, because of the lower traffic. But from the stance of legality, on normal 40 channels, and 12W SSB output, it's not the easiest thing to do.

Can you work the world on 100W or less? Absolutely. Is it relevant to a CB'er making a fresh start? I don't think it's all that relevant, which is why I understand where 359 is coming from. Just for the fact that CB does not go to 100W to begin with. Sure, a peak and tuned CB can do 20-25W SSB, and that's all fine and dandy, but it's no 100W. And there is more traffic on CB too (due to the small bandwidth that CB occupies), that can cause the pileups that make working DX on the band more difficult.

I can see why this statement could be made when a person is considering running a large amp, to let that person know that it isn't necessary to run 1-15KW of output to work DX.

Want to work the world on less than 100W? Best way to do this is to get a ham ticket. This is the advantage of having a ham ticket. The ham bands is the ultimate "great wide open". Let that motivate you to get that ticket and enjoy it all.

All in all, I do understand why the "I can work the world on 100W or less" statement is made, but I do agree with 359 that in the CB world, it is easy why this can be taken out of context, and understandably so.

Just my .02 worth. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 5 people
Let's keep it nice and simple, and civil.

"Worked the World on 100 watts."

Yes it can be done.

Blind ham friend of mine has done it, with of all things a Gap challenger vertical.
Not the BIG yagi all ops talk about but an inferior vertical.

He can not use a tuner so he needed something that was no tune multi band coverage.

Furthermore he is lacking six counties of having worked all counties in the continental US.

It is using technique, operating skill and being on the air when the propagation is open.

So getting a SSB radio, and whatever antenna of choice is necessary, but even more necessary is understanding how everything works, antenna gain, ERP, propagation, etc. etc. etc.

Radio is radio, whether it is 11 meter or amateur, all principles apply, always have and always will.

SO the worked the world with 100 watts is a very true statement, it is the operator behind the mic or the paddle that accomplished that, not so much the radio or antenna or the amplifier, all of those do help, but still need to have a knowledgeable op working the station, and the only way to get knowledge is to learn it and experience.

So the op who just got his SSB radio and antenna really needs to turn the rig on start making contacts , spend more time on the air and listen, listen, listen.

It is so much more exciting to make that contact with 100 watts than it is to use an amp.

That displays technique and operating expertise, anyone can turn a legal limit amp on and bust a pile up with the 4 element yagi ( I have both and yes it is nice), I also have a multi band home brew fan dipole I use as primary antenna.

WHY cause it is a challenge to work a DX pile up with a wire and a 100 watts.

It just comes down to how the op wants to operate his station, He can get an amp and add to all the QRM on the freq or he can learn some technique.

By the way all countries are not limited to ch 40 through 36, you can be suprised at what the lower part of the 40 channels produce especially on USB.

work the world with under 100w.yes you can !. Bust through a 20 over 9 pile up on ch 38 no! not often . Is it fair to tell a newbie that they can work the world with 10 watts .Yes I think so, but tell it like it is. What is really needed is a change of attitude and operating practices.

That's the difference in AM vs SSB vs CW. The narrower you get, and the more wide open the band is, the easier the contacts are.

Yep...code is a worth while thing to know.....where the spoken word cannot get through....that beep beep can be heard.

Is it fair to tell a newbie that they can work the world with 10 watts .Yes I think so, but tell it like it is.
Which is sell the CB, get a license and an HF rig OR spend hours CQing on the most quiet "channels" you can find OR buy a big antenna and amplifier ...... I don't have a problem with that.

Remember, 90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake, but there is always that chance of catching a stray ........ I think that applies here (y)

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.