• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

JB 2000 transformer

Not sure you shouldn't resolve this??
groundshield.jpg

coaxshield.jpg

David

Reactions: tecnicoloco
What coax would i use in place of this? I have 316 i used in my Macos. Not sure if that is strong enough or not?

In the pic you can see black & blue wire soldered together at the relay. The blue wire goes to the stud mounted diode. The black wire goes to a switch on the front that is marked AM/AM+. On AM the switch is open & on AM+ it grounds the diode. AM+ gives it more watts. What is the purpose of this deal and it a good thing? 238

The stud-mounted diode is a zener diode. It holds a constant bias voltage on the tube, reducing the current the tube will draw with no drive. This also reduces the heat the tube will produce from the AM carrier.

You'll see more average power with the switch closed, shorting across the zener. The tube will run at a higher temperature this way.

A peak-reading meter will usually read higher in "AM" mode, especially if you set the Load control for max modulated power, and NOT just on a dead carrier.

The tube tends to last longer at the reduced operating temperature.

I never run my stuff very hard. Cost to much. I have a roll of 213 double shield i could use in place of coax in it. I did not know if 316 i used in my Maco would work. 238

Got the coax changed & ground at both ends. Used 393 on out put & 316 on the input. 238DSC00033.JPG DSC00034.JPG

Just noticed the aluminum pop rivets holding your coax sockets to the rear panel. If they are tight, they may be okay. But if either one reveals ANY looseness at all, those rivets need to be drilled out and replaced with machine screws. A tooth washer under the nut serves to pierce through the surface oxide of an aluminum panel and provide a proper ground for the coax sockets.

Might be relevant, might not.

We routinely ground the coax braid to one screw of the coax socket with a ground lug.

BJ radionut You ask about the tank coil so i took a better pic. ( Does the picture also seem to show the output coax attached to the end of the tank coil (?) maybe a P-L net)DSC00037.JPG The tank coil is tied to a stand off & A wire runs from the load tuner too the stand off. The coax is solder between the stand off & the coil. It is all working ok, except the load has to be open to have modulation. Move it either way you lose your modulation. Using my Cobra 200 15 watt dead key. Amp keys 50 swings 250 on my Siltronix 600 average meter. 238

Got a ? about the door knob caps The one on the tune is a 1000 pf , but reads 880 pf & the one on the load is a 100pf an reads 107pf. Do i need to change the one on the tune out or is 880pf close enough? I have been running the amp works ok, just wondering about the caps. 238

Finally got my GLS 3-500 amp back together an the station put back together. Thanks for all the help. DSC00045.JPG 238

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.