• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Jumper cables, buying advice needed

TruckerKevin

KD9NTD
Nov 9, 2017
Buckner, Illinois
www.qrz.com
I’m looking for good quality jumpers to go between my meter, amp and radio. Preferably something you users here have had good success with

I’ve bought a few over the last couple of years off amazon and, well,,,,,,,, junk. All of them bad. Even the pricier ones it seems.

I used a good lmr400 coming off my new antenna, very heavy and thick and am pleased with it, I don’t wanna cheap out now.

Thanks

If i’m buying pre-made jump cables I buy them from Ham Radio Outlet and have never had an issue. I buy LMR-400 flex as they bend easier. I also have no problem making them myself. I currently have several lengths ranging from 1 to 3 to 6 feet in length. Some of my cables are 2-3 years old. I doubt you’re putting as much RF through them as I sometimes do....2500 watts

Definitely, solder/crimp is the way to go.

I use quality solder/crimp silver teflon connectors. These ones let you solder the tip which is easy and you crimp the shield using a ratcheting crimper with the correct dies. This is a fast and sure way to install connectors.

You need to invest in a crimper to do it correctly. Once crimped, the shield braid is tightly crimped and it's even less likely for water entry.

Crimping is probably a good idea. I have plenty of lmr400 left over, I wonder if I can get a good set of crimpers and connectors for less than what I can get the pigtails for.

I can solder, I’d just rather not do the jumpers. Especially when it’s on an antenna up in the sky. I’ve tried many times, and never got good with soldering the center electrode without over doing it or making a cold solder joint

By the way, the video on crimp connectors is sponsored by Show me cables. They do not sell the correct solder/crimp types. I only posted that clip as a reference.

The type they sell is this one pictured below which is an all crimp type and you should avoid these ones. You can see the center pin hole is so small that it won't let a pre-tinned wire go thru much less a non tinned wire making a weak solder joint if you did try to solder it.
images

The correct solder/crimp connector looks like this one below. You can see the center pin is cut out so you can easily push the center wire thru and solder it correctly. I order mine from Quicksilver radio. I tried the more expensive DX engineering ones but didn't find that nearly twice the price is worth it.

DxhU-1703T-DNN-2.jpg

Solder/crimp UHF connectors

https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.html#!/Crimp-On-Coax-Connectors/c/11543083/offset=0&sort=normal

Here is a set of crimper dies for the most commonly used coax cables with a ratcheting crimper.

https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.html#!/Coax-Crimper-with-2-Die-Sets/p/50841247/category=8446815

I buy all my PL-259 crimp connectors from DXEngineering...I think one of my crimpers is from Amazon but my coax cutters and other crimpers are all from DXENGINEERING. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Their staff is also very helpful if you call them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
I guess I bought all my crimpers off amazon....Here’s the first one:
rmsdeal77 Coax RF Connector Crimping Tool for RG-8, 9, 213, 214, L400, Belden 9913

Here’s the other pair I have:
rmsdeal77 Coax RF Connector Crimping Tool for RG-58, 59, 62, 8x, 141, 142, L195, 200, 240

Here are the PL-259’s from DXEngineering:
DX Engineering Next Generation Crimp/Solder 8X PL-259 Connectors DXE-PL259CS8X-12

The PL-259’s for LMR240:
DX Engineering Next Generation Crimp/Solder 8X PL-259 Connectors DXE-PL259CS8X-12

Here’s the coax cutter/stripper for LMR 400 I bought (good stuff)
DX Engineering Coaxial Cable Prep Tools for Crimp Connectors DXE-UT-405C-P1

I bought these from Amazon for cutting LMR 240...proper adjustment of the cutting blades is essential.
MPD Digital FK-29SP-KB1K Coaxial Cable Stripper for RG-58, RG-59, RG-6, RG-8X, Mini-8 and LMR-240 Coax Cables

They all work great. They cover my LMR 240 and LMR 400

You can cut the coax by hand but BUY the cutter/stripper from DXEngineering.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?