• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just ordered the Sirio 2016. Good move or not?

A : Riempire i tubi con schiuma poliuretanica leggera.

B : Inserire un elastico fermapacchi dall'alto verso il basso.

నీ ఉద్దేశ్యమేంటి?= What do you mean?

A=Fill the pipes with light polyurethane foam.

B= Insert an elastic pack holder from top to bottom.

Jeff
The broader point is you shouldn't have to do that to a new antenna. It's like buying a new car and replacing the transmission so it doesn't grenade going down the road lol

Well. I'm gonna have to chime in again. As fate would have it, here in central Alabama we had very severe storms blow through yesterday afternoon. Downed trees all over the place from 50 plus mph straight line winds. We were without power for about 10 hours from the storm. When the storm hit I was watching my Sirio. The wind had my Sirio vertical blown over horizontal.
When storm passed, the antenna mast made of galvanized conduit was bent. I took the antenna down and replaced the mast with a new section this morning and the antenna was straight as an arrow and is in perfect working condition. Tested SWR....perfect. Antennas can and will get bent sometimes. The Sirio 2016 made it through this storm like a champ. It's a good antenna.

Well. I'm gonna have to chime in again. As fate would have it, here in central Alabama we had very severe storms blow through yesterday afternoon. Downed trees all over the place from 50 plus mph straight line winds. We were without power for about 10 hours from the storm. When the storm hit I was watching my Sirio. The wind had my Sirio vertical blown over horizontal.
When storm passed, the antenna mast made of galvanized conduit was bent. I took the antenna down and replaced the mast with a new section this morning and the antenna was straight as an arrow and is in perfect working condition. Tested SWR....perfect. Antennas can and will get bent sometimes. The Sirio 2016 made it through this storm like a champ. It's a good antenna.

I'm wondering if these guys with all the issues got ahold of some counterfeit Sirios. I don't know if anyone is making them, but it's a thought. There is no explanation as to why some of them can withstand HUGE, gusting winds while others pretzel up in mild storms.

Last edited:
Would it be possible that different production runs and material batches be the cause. You'd think sirio has some kind of standard for their material.

Got me wondering now

Reactions: Champo
My 2016 withstood some big winds up to 70 MPH. Just right after a year of ownership SWR would spike just for an instant randomly.

Traded a local amp builder the antenna for some amp repair. He took it apart, and it had loose solder joint that just fell apart when he touched it. He made a ground mounted 1/4 wave ground plane out of it. The radial sockets are perfect for sloping wire radials he said.

just wanted to chime in too. ive had my sirio 2016 since 2009 ..i wrote a review on it at copper electronics where i bought it .my name on there is dale. ive iseen it withstand winds over 70 mph .i seen it completly frozen over from a ice storm and actually suffered a 1.8.1 swr i thought for sure it was done then. but once ice melted straited out and swr was fine.now should the day comes when it may break you can rest assured ill be ordering another

Would it be possible that different production runs and material batches be the cause. You'd think sirio has some kind of standard for their material.

Got me wondering now
I do believe that you are correct and that is the cause. The quality of the aluminum is inconsistent and as a result different antennas = different quality aluminium. Different time periods....different batches....and therefore it's a quality control problem that buyers should factor in i.e. you could get a bad one... you could get a good one. People seem to gloss over this concept with "mine still works"....."mine is awesome....rah rah rah...go Sirio!" These antennas are also half a decade old if not older. Not one of them has purchased in the last year. It's a funny concept. So because your 2009 Ford is rock solid that means that a 2023 is guaranteed to be rock solid too? It's a laughable concept when you apply it to any other mass produced product...except Sirio apparently.

As I also stated in my original post the antenna itself performs admirably... until it develops Peyronie's disease.

Reactions: frankie-b
I do believe that you are correct and that is the cause. The quality of the aluminum is inconsistent and as a result different antennas = different quality aluminium. Different time periods....different batches....and therefore it's a quality control problem that buyers should factor in i.e. you could get a bad one... you could get a good one. People seem to gloss over this concept with "mine still works"....."mine is awesome....rah rah rah...go Sirio!" These antennas are also half a decade old if not older. Not one of them has purchased in the last year. It's a funny concept. So because your 2009 Ford is rock solid that means that a 2023 is guaranteed to be rock solid too? It's a laughable concept when you apply it to any other mass produced product...except Sirio apparently.

As I also stated in my original post the antenna itself performs admirably... until it develops Peyronie's disease.
You didn't read very well. I just purchased my Sirio 2016 a month or so ago. I guess it's a pretty rock solid 2023 model. So far anyway.
Look....I get amused by this type of thing. If you don't like Sirio. Don't buy one. If you want one, buy one. If you want to try one, but let other peoples opinion steer you away. Well, there will be a lot of things that you'll never really know about. It's a freakin antenna.......it works very well. How long will it last? I don't know. But it's off to a really good start.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.