• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS 50 Problem

AK321

Oct 31, 2014
Murray KY.
Ok, so I attempted to hook up my Kenwood TS 50 and had the ground and power hooked up wrong. Powered the unit on, and smoke rolled out of it. Now it won't power up at all. Did I fry it or what? That's what I get for not making sure it was hooked up properly.

If this isn't the epitome of stupid, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Ok, so I attempted to hook up my Kenwood TS 50 and had the ground and power hooked up wrong. Powered the unit on, and smoke rolled out of it. Now it won't power up at all. Did I fry it or what? That's what I get for not making sure it was hooked up properly.

If this isn't the epitome of stupid, I don't know what is.

Just look at it another way; now you won't make the same mistake twice.

Yup; popped the protection diode.
The 'protection diode' is so named because it protects the radio from the owner - lol . . .

Reactions: binrat
Ok...I thought I blew it up. That's a relief. Whew.

Can't complain though...got it for 200 bucks.

But when I saw the smoke rolling out of the radio, I thought the worst.

Now, I just need to find a tech to fix it for me :)

Last edited:
Ok...I thought I blew it up. That's a relief. Whew.

Can't complain though...got it for 200 bucks.

But when I saw the smoke rolling out of the radio, I thought the worst.
A protection diode is still just a diode - not really a specialty part.
Haven't looked at that schematic, but chances are a 1n4003 will probably fix it. Cost is anywhere from $.05/ea to $2/3-pack, depending entirely on where you get it.

Reactions: AK321
My eyes aren't good enough to fix it myself...will have to send it off to get it done.

Feel free to nominate me the idiot of the week, guys...:)

most older kenwoods use a 25a diode across the main power input,
if you have blown the diode open circuit you will have smoked the output transistors, i have repaired several, sometimes you get lucky,

the rest of the radio is powered through a relay which should not activate if the power wires are cross polarity.

good luck.

My eyes aren't good enough to fix it myself...will have to send it off to get it done.

Feel free to nominate me the idiot of the week, guys...:)
Like I said, once one burns a protection diode, there is a far better chance that you won't do it again.

Having looked up the Service Manual/schematic, this is not best fixed by a first-timer. It uses surface mounted parts on a multi layer PCB. The concern is that a trace may have been opened up, so that is something that a pro will need to check out. Yeah; best to send it in . . .

if you have blown the diode open circuit you will have smoked the output transistors, i have repaired several, sometimes you get lucky,

the rest of the radio is powered through a relay which should not activate if the power wires are cross polarity.

good luck.

that was my thought as well. usually the final output transistors have the DC power connected directly to them immediately upon applying power. they could be toast.

BTW Note to AK321: Now you know the value of installing fuses. If you had the proper fuses installed, and it appears you did not, they should have popped immediately and saved the smoke show for a later date. 50 cents worth of fuses could have saved a couple hundred dollars if the finals are toasted by the time it gets all repaired.Often when that happens circuit board traces are burned up and need to be repaired/replaced. Hopefully you got lucky and did not suffer that much damage.

good luck.

Yeah, I knew that there would be more to it than just a diode. Just had that feeling...I thought there was an awful lot of smoke for it to be one diode, but wasn't sure.

Know of anyone willing to take a look at it? I need someone to fix it.

I doubt fuses would have saved it, cause I would manage to find another way to mess it up....jeezus.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.